Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Where have our young people gone

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
There just aren't as many as there used to be..

united-kingdom-population-pyramid-2016.gif

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Seemingly they are not producing new and innovative music and /developing a new yoof culture in which to while away their time.

Are the current stock of youth the most uninteresting since the birth of youth culture in the 50's?

Please prove this assertion wrong.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I have noticed that no where near the number of teenagers today have PT jobs as our generation did. Maybe a third do where's it was extremely unusual when I was at school and college not to have a job at weekends, evenings or even the old paper round pre-school! Working doesn't seem to be in vogue these days.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I have noticed that no where near the number of teenagers today have PT jobs as our generation did. Maybe a third do where's it was extremely unusual when I was at school and college not to have a job at weekends, evenings or even the old paper round pre-school! Working doesn't seem to be in vogue these days.

So politely put :)

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
Almost everyone I grew up with in England, stayed in England.
One left to work in Gib.
I left for Canada.

There are many young Brits out in the old Commonwealth countries, but only for a year or two.

4/6 of my uni house ended up living abroad. At least 3 look like permanent moves (mine included).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Good call,until employers in this country are willing to pay a decent,living wage We cannot blame the younger generation for not wanting to do crap service industry jobs for crap money.
The problem We have as a nation is that We don't make anything anymore,We need more apprenticeships and start building our way to a better future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, but that's a bit of a cop out. Crap money is still money. And if you haven't got any and want some, but haven't any experience yet, that's why I as a teenager (i.e. where have all our youth gone?) went to work in the supermarkets, behind bars, waitering, hotels, etc. As did almost all my friends (i.e. where have all our youth gone?). We had to! Definitely fewer UK teenagers doing these jobs, they don't need to. Bank of mum and dad and all that.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
My 16 year old and all his college mates have all just gone out and got low paid part time jobs - it's not just about money but learning what "real " life is all about. They've all got a strong work ethic and it's great to see. BoMaD should be the lender of last resort IMO.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
All at uni obviously or street corners :)
You rarely see a young English person in warehouses either.You see most english youngsters to be fair in supermakets/Costa etc than anywhere else.
Mind you we did have a stagnant population growth.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions