Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Warning, we've been sat at Worthing for 25mins due to a broken window in 1 coach. They won't move everyone to coaches 2-4 and keep going. Blocking everything going west at the moment. Not sure why they can't use platform 1

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Thats the hard working Japanese for you.
And workers get seen quicker than they would by their GP, so anything out of the ordinary is picked up straight away.

Once you've rung in with a cold or headache and had to sit in a bed in a medical centre at your workplace, without TV, Wi-Fi etc for a day, you'd think twice before having another day off.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
And workers get seen quicker than they would by their GP, so anything out of the ordinary is picked up straight away.

Once you've rung in with a cold or headache and had to sit in a bed in a medical centre at your workplace, without TV, Wi-Fi etc for a day, you'd think twice before having another day off.

And if you had the shits that would go down well

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I thought you were legally allowed to self certify up to five days sickness before requiring a doctor's note? What's all this taxi stuff about!! Some kind of weird clause in the contract that trump's general employment law?!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You don't get a sick note for odd days. You have to be off work for 7 days before you can use a sick note and most doctors will use 7 day blocks when signing.

I agree, I didn't think that I alluded to anything different?

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
What hopeless tools these scum are. Bring on driverless trains. That would save me a heap of wasted time while the Luddites pretend they have a career.

Guaranteed job security & above inflation pay increases for 5 years isn't enough for them. I'm sure everyone else has a much better deal than that.

So far they have targeted commuters & lost all of their main clients respect in doing so, but not satisfied with that they are moving onto the casual day tripper. Most likely these same people will be friends & family who are inconvenienced & bankrupt by their actions

Bonfire night, Christmas & new years, followed by a week! In January. What utter scum they are - where are they from?

Do they not care that they are ruining the businesses & lives & tend of thousands of people for the sake of a few hundred jobs that are no longer needed - thanks to technology.

I don't blame the government at all. Admittedly southern should have lost the franchise ages ago, but to do it now is wrong because southern are actually doing something useful & modernising the railway line by being rid of defunct roles.

These changes can be made & should be for efficiency & the quicker it happens the better!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What hopeless tools these scum are. Bring on driverless trains. That would save me a heap of wasted time while the Luddites pretend they have a career.

Guaranteed job security & above inflation pay increases for 5 years isn't enough for them. I'm sure everyone else has a much better deal than that.

So far they have targeted commuters & lost all of their main clients respect in doing so, but not satisfied with that they are moving onto the casual day tripper.

Bonfire night, Christmas & new years, followed by a week! In January. What utter scum they are - where are they from?

Do they not care that they are ruining the businesses & lives & tend of thousands of people for the sake of a few hundred jobs that are no longer needed - thanks to technology.

I don't blame the government at all. Admittedly southern should have lost the franchise ages ago, but to do it now is wrong because southern are actually doing something useful & modernising the railway line by being rid of defunct roles.

These changes can be made & should be for efficiency & the quicker it happens the better!

No they dont. But the blame does not lie squarely at their door. But they could of course do something original to bring their argument to the public/media like a South Coast football club did when faced with near extinction. I didnt see any lives ruined then (although Archer, Stanley and Belotti were certainly made to feel uncomfortable) and lets be honest its making people miserable now. In fact its worse. It was a noble cause now its ****ing silly and even they have probably lost sight of what its all about and has become a Union v Government while as someone said us poor passengers that use it/rely on it - the working man and woman people with families and bills to pay etc - have past caring and are lumping them all in together. Thats not good. The media are also now shrugging shoulders. Another strike? Oh well nothing to see here.

Plus Southern can say "dont blame us mate blame the unions" and thats not good. Its not as if Southern need any help after all. But it really is ill thought out and the wrong time completely. Peoples minds are more focused over xmas and certainly are thinking of family time and travelling etc.

Even when it was kicking off earlier in the year around the summer even old school guards like Ernest was saying that its not good PR to strike despite his commendable support for his ex colleagues on here.

The government however do need to be taken to account here or at least the DFT and certainly intervene. Even if it means ripping up the whole thing and starting again.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I thought you were legally allowed to self certify up to five days sickness before requiring a doctor's note? What's all this taxi stuff about!! Some kind of weird clause in the contract that trump's general employment law?!

You can self certify - it doesn't mean you get paid by your employer. Your employer only has to pay SSP - roughly £80 a week. Even then the first four days don't count.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
You can self certify - it doesn't mean you get paid by your employer. Your employer only has to pay SSP - roughly £80 a week. Even then the first four days don't count.

My company don't pay sick pay until after the 3rd day of sick. If you are off for 4 days & get a medical note you get paid for all days.

Strangely V little sickness in our office!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Serious question, so far I've avoided travelling on strike days - next Tuesday I really should go to London and return on Thursday. Is it even worth me trying to get from Gatwick (or Three Bridges) to victoria - and back?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
My company don't pay sick pay until after the 3rd day of sick. If you are off for 4 days & get a medical note you get paid for all days.

Strangely V little sickness in our office!

Indeed. At my company people only get SSP and the sickness levels are extremely low.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Indeed. At my company people only get SSP and the sickness levels are extremely low.

I doubt the unions would go for this even tho speaking as a non union person granted it seems fair enough to me.

My company are the same...however if you had something serious like stress or god forbid worse like cancer then they would of course then support with full pay. Granted not all employers would.

But it certainly cuts out attritional sick or as THPP the strategic sick.

So far they have targeted commuters & lost all of their main clients respect in doing so, but not satisfied with that they are moving onto the casual day tripper. Most likely these same people will be friends & family who are inconvenienced & bankrupt by their actions

Spot on,these vermin should be grateful for what they've GOT,plenty of people out there would do the job if they don't want to do it,sack the lot of em,money obsessed SCUM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here