Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
My lad who's 16 in August want to be come a Sports photographer and will be taking A levels this year / next.

Anyone know how he can get into this or, who to contact? any help or advice would be appreciated.

Park Cameras run sports photo workshops, also maybe contact BHA Snappy via social media, he is the BHA official photographer

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
My lad who's 16 in August want to be come a Sports photographer and will be taking A levels this year / next.

Anyone know how he can get into this or, who to contact? any help or advice would be appreciated.

I'm belatedly working on that in my mid-40s. He's got the right idea getting in on the ground floor. There is going to need to be a lot of free work to get a portfolio together if my experience is anything to go by. I have basically been doing running and triathlon events and started out just following my wife at her various events, getting some practice in.

I was shooting with another chap at the weekend who was a full time sports photographer. He has worked on football and basketball from a young age and basically got together enough of a portfolio to send to various agencies. I'm hoping to team up with Slough Jets ice hockey in the autumn to beef up my own.

In terms of freelance work, I can't praise Sussex Sports Photography enough. They have been very giving of their time in terms of mentoring me through my first year. I could never have taken the images above eighteen months ago and it's only through their input and patience that I have got to where I am now. I hope to shoot about 25-20 events before the year is out. My plan now is to simply scattergun every agency in the south of England to see if they would be prepared to put me on their books.

He could also approach Epic Action Imagery and Marathon Photos, both of whom have a simple link on their sites on how to apply. You can also try Sports Action Photo (sportsactionphoto.co.uk). They have put me on their books but I've yet to receive any bookings.

Best of luck to the young 'un.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
I'm belatedly working on that in my mid-40s. He's got the right idea getting in on the ground floor. There is going to need to be a lot of free work to get a portfolio together if my experience is anything to go by. I have basically been doing running and triathlon events and started out just following my wife at her various events, getting some practice in.

I was shooting with another chap at the weekend who was a full time sports photographer. He has worked on football and basketball from a young age and basically got together enough of a portfolio to send to various agencies. I'm hoping to team up with Slough Jets ice hockey in the autumn to beef up my own.

In terms of freelance work, I can't praise Sussex Sports Photography enough. They have been very giving of their time in terms of mentoring me through my first year. I could never have taken the images above eighteen months ago and it's only through their input and patience that I have got to where I am now. I hope to shoot about 25-20 events before the year is out. My plan now is to simply scattergun every agency in the south of England to see if they would be prepared to put me on their books.

He could also approach Epic Action Imagery and Marathon Photos, both of whom have a simple link on their sites on how to apply. You can also try Sports Action Photo (sportsactionphoto.co.uk). They have put me on their books but I've yet to receive any bookings.

Best of luck to the young 'un.

Thank you, most helpful. Good luck with your'e venture also.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wanted to be a sports photographer 30 years ago. The industry has changed so much since then. Does he know what's involved? It's not the job I dreamed of.

Sorry I can't offer help, hopefully someone here can, I think we have a pro or two here.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Thank you, most helpful. Good luck with your'e venture also.

I should have added that after 18 months working freelance it is at least paying its way. I'm in no danger of being able to quit my day job but it has enabled me to entirely upgrade my kit bag. Your boy would need a minimum of two camera bodies, a wide angle and zoom lens up to 200mm. If he can get on the roster this might give him a chance to reinvest and upgrade his kit if required.

I started out with a Canon 5D MkIII and and a Canon 7D with 24-70 and 70-200 lenses. The lenses were the higher quality EF-L series but I don't believe this is essential. I have since retired the 7D and obtained a 1DX but I know plenty of photographers that are happy to work with 7D.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Attachments

• Cats NSC.JPG
    Cats NSC.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 179

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Just found out one of my photos has been shortlisted for the British Wildlife Photography Awards.
Doubt it will go any further but nice to make the shortlist :)

Well done Kneon. Can you post a link to which photo it is, assuming it's on Flickr or site which you can do so?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Attachments

• HHM NSC.JPG
    HHM NSC.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 283

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
hairstreak.jpg

Tried ringing you today Jack Straw.....pair of white letter hairstreaks in the Rockery today. I'd imagine they'd still be there tomorrow if you're passing?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Attachments

• White Admiral NSC.JPG
    White Admiral NSC.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 242

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
42633049644_66189ce164_h[1].jpg

This is the archetypal Sussex butterfly. I've found the best (although not user-friendly or that versatile) lens for this is the cheap (£100) Tamron 70-300. This a medium-sized butterfly. Lens will not get close though. For real close-ups, a different macro lens might be best. 105 mm macro does better at the end of the month when the Chalkhill Blue peaks.

EXIF @ https://www.flickr.com/photos/shoreham/42633049644/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Took these yesterday in my garden with an iPhone!

IMG_0038.jpg

This is a "immature" female Eastern Swallowtail butterfly

IMG_0039.jpg

This is a fully mature female Eastern Swallowtail.

Wing span is about 4 inches/10 cm

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here