Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's a pity - it's a lovely tune. Why do these musicians have to insert filth into their songs?

To be honest, my wife never really listens to the lyrics - the bigger issue in our case was that the car stereo displays the title in big letters on the screen.

"I don't think we need that, thank you..."

Flex Your Head

My wife gets a bit annoyed with C86 soundalikes - TBH, she got a bit impatient with your 4xCD collection, but, since I was driving, I got to choose the music and it stayed on. Apart from the song about "She broke his...in two" - someone had to think of the children.

:lol:

Heresy! Good job I didn't include any of the following..

Absolute beauts one and all.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Hey, my CD arrived! Thanks whoever it was. Not sure who the sender is yet. Looks like it's quite heavy, but with a fair bit of variation - funk, electronica and punk (amongst other genres) are all represented. Who makes a CD like this then, eh? 16 tracks, one song I already have (Boris - Pink) and two other artists that I have other tracks by (Aphex Twin and Blue Oyster Cult). Bands such as Deathwitch, Gallows, God Forbid and Particle are included. I don't think it'll be one for a family car ride. Won't be able to post my review for a week or so though, but, don't worry - it WILL be reviewed!

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Sorry for the delay in posting my review been busy sorting out a new work contract – haven't had a chance to even look at NSC for ages! Anyway, here it is:

First off the art work, which after a season like we've just had really wasn't what you'd want to see:

NSC Easter 2015 - Vincente Cover.jpg

As far as the CD itself was concerned I enjoyed listening to it and I must say that it worked really well as a compilation and was great to listen to in the car. A lot of the tracks were preceded by a brief snippet of famous dialogue from a movie/tv programme (Apocalypse Now – I love the smell of napalm in the morning; The Sweeny – “We've The Sweeny son and we haven't had any dinner...”) but as I listened to the CD in the car I wasn't really able to fully concentrate on whether the clip was relevant to the song it preceded (either that or I simply wasn't clever enough to work it out!) Regardless, it added to the enjoyment. The tracks themselves were:

One piece at a time – Michelle Shocked
I know a lot of people get a bit sniffy about cover versions, especially covers of songs made famous by 'legends' but I really enjoyed this. Ok, its a bit of a novelty song but its a fast paced version and Shocked's voice works well. A good start to the CD.

Give Me Back My Man – The B-52's
Its a long time since I've listened to any B-52's but the moment this track started it brought a smile to my face and you just can help bouncing/singing along to it. Must admit I did tend to repeat this track once or twice whenever it came round on the CD!

Rumble in Brighton – Stray Cats
Even though I'm not that familiar with their music you can't really mistake the Stray Cats for anyone else. Another upbeat track that worked really well following on from the B-52's.

Part Time Punks – Television Personalities
Not a track I was familiar with and another that maybe falls into the novelty category? Probably not a group I'd be that bothered about listening it in large quantities. They reminded me of a less polished version of The Only Ones!

Open All Night – Bruce Spingsteen
A fairly breathless Sprinsteen track from the early 80's and although not a classic it has a lot of the Springsteen hallmarks from that era and tells me that its probably time to have another listen to the Nebraska album and that its probably better than I remember it!

Son of a Preacher Man – Dusty Spingfield
One of my all time favourite tracks – smooth and soulful.

Soul on Fire – Saint Jude
A good raunchy and rocky track that works well with the female vocal. I'd be tempted to listen to some of their other tracks but I have a slight suspicion that in large doses they might not be that distinctive if this track is anything to go by as there seems to be a lot of influences of other bands coming through in their music – I could hear bits of Primal Scream and the Rolling Stones.

You're Gonna Miss Me – The 13th Floor Elevators
A bit of 60's psychedelia meets 60's rock. Can't say I'd heard of the band before but reminded me of The Doors. Not something I'd normally listen to but worked ok within the context of this playlist.

Going Up Country – Canned Heat
Another 60's track although more blues based and at least this time one I've heard before. Another good choice in terms of nicely following on from the previous track.

He's a Rebel – Crystals
Would sir like some more 60's music and cheese with his playlist?

Railroad Steel – The Georgia Satellites
A solid American rock track to pick up the pace with plenty of guitars and solid beat. Despite not being the sort of music I'd regularly listen to it gets the feet tapping without you even realising it!

What a Way to Die – The Pleasure Seekers
Not heard this in a long time and it sounds remarkably fresh despite its obvious 60's heritage. The fast pace and raw female vocal definitely help to give it an edge over the likes of other female groups from that time.

Blitzkrieg Bop – The Ramones
What can you say about this, other than 'thanks for including it'.

Mr Pitiful – The Commitments
Hard to believe the film was so long ago but the track is as good as ever. Always surprised me that Andrew Strong didn't go on to have more solo success.

Come Back Jonee – Devo
Never really been into Devo but was nice to hear this track again and works well when listening to the CD in the car.

I ain't Working Anymore – David Johansen
Well, its not the New York Dolls that's for sure! Its a track that you feel you shouldn't like (how many cheesey lyrics can one CD have?!) and yet it has that catchy hook that you find yourself tapping along to yet glad when it comes to an end!

In the Wild – Hoodoo Gurus
The Hoodoo Gurus had completely passed me by but I liked this track. Probably not the most original of sounds (a guitar based rock band) but there's enough there to make me think it may be worth checking out some of their other stuff.

Eat The Rich – Motorhead
Does this count as another song with cheesey lyrics? Dunno...but you can't help but love Motorhead.

(Sweet) Mental Revenge – The Long Ryders
A country/rock-ish offering whose guitar solos reminded me of Big Country. It was ok but probably not one to live too long in the memory.

Public Image – Public Image Ltd
Was never really into the Sex Pistols but did like PIL – they just seemed to have a bit more about them musically, which was probably down to Jah Wobble? Still sound good and will be digging into the CD collection to put them on my playlist for the daily commute to work. Will be interesting to see what their new album is like later this year.

Love and a Molotov Cocktail – Flys
Another punk-ish sound – not heard of them before but reminded me to the sound of the Buzzcocks.

Good Taste – The Cramps
Given the track listing this was as good a finish to the CD as any. Well played, sir!

I haven't had time to go back through the past reviews and see if there are any obvious clues as to who might have sent this but I shall guess that its [MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION].

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I feel another update coming on

Received, reviewed, guessed correctly
Theatre of Trees (Staly)
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] (Spring Hall Convert)

Received, reviewed, not yet guessed or acknowledged
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION]
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION]

Received but yet to review
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION]
[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION]
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION]

Status unknown - yet to receive
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] - I have been informed that this has been posted
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION] - I have been informed that this has been posted
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION] - I have been informed that this has been posted
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION]

If you've posted or received either mention on this thread or drop me a PM.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
First of all, I must apologise profusely for the appalling lateness of my review. What with A-Levels round the corner it has been difficult to find the time but once I sat down and listened, the CD was certainly worth the wait.

The wonderful cover:

NSC 1.jpg

Not entirely sure as to the man’s identity, he seems vaguely familiar....

The terrifying inside cover:

NSC 2.jpg

Win – Hollywood Baby Too: I’m rather mixed on this, not dislikeable per se but it felt like it was trying to be three songs at once. Catchy.

Denim – Middle of the Road: Denim’s 90s anthem to negativity and self-determination was a great listen.

Auteurs – The Rubettes: The whispered opening vocals for some reason conjured an image of a terrifying CBeebies presenter reading a bedtime story. Liked the song though.

Misty’s Big Adventure – Fashion Parade: Started well but the spoken word section preceded a disappointing descent into dreadfulness. Halfway between a terrible comedy record and horribly misguided experimentalism.

Baxendale – Music for Girls: An exercise in the electronic was well received by this NSC’er.

Annie – Chewing Gum: Took me back to the halcyon days of sunny 2004. Infectiously catchy and I liked it more than I would care to admit.

Momus – The Complete History of Sexual Jealousy Parts 17-24: This was a standout track with a wildly unwieldy title to match. The juxtaposition of the upbeat tune and the rather charged lyrics came off very well.

Frazier Chorus – Sloppy Heart: Infused with a steady classical verve, loved this track.

Stereo Total – Baby Revolution: Opening with what sounded like a shit doorbell played over and over this track settled down into a fairly subdued call for revolution. The most mild-mannered call to the proletariat I've ever heard. Mixed feelings about this one.

Add N to (X) – Plug Me In: A Vocoder driven jaunt which resembled the middle ground between Stephen Hawking’s voice and the Internet dial-up tone. Good track.

H Foundation – Laika: Visions of a ritual human sacrifice were flashing before my eyes for much of this piece. Went all Bernard Hermann at times with inflections of John Williams and Hans Zimmer here and there. On the whole a good listen but I couldn't help but feel I’d listened to the audio equivalent of a failed w*nk. All build-up but no climax. H Foundation should do movie scores.

One World Orchestra – The Magnificent: Decent, but very brief. A track that felt like it had more to say.

Looper – Mondo 77: It’s kind of difficult to explain exactly why I didn't like this one, there were bits I enjoyed but on the whole it just left me cold.

Bang Bang Machine – Technologica: Loved the riff on this, once the drums kicked in it just got better and better.

Danielle Dax – Big Hollow Man: Despite vocals sounding like one of the chipmunks with a sore throat this was, as the kids say, a ‘banger’ of a tune.

Knife – Heartbeats: Fantastic synth throughout, another great track.

Saloon – Impact: Brilliant tune which crescendo’d superbly.

Prolapse – Killing the Bland: The wonderfully named Prolapse’s closing song to this CD was a real treat.

Absolutely no idea who made me this but I offer my warmest thanks, far more hits than misses and plenty of bands I'm itching to check out further. Can honestly say I'd never heard of any of these artists so it's been a musical revelation for me.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
First of all, I must apologise profusely for the appalling lateness of my review. What with A-Levels round the corner it has been difficult to find the time but once I sat down and listened, the CD was certainly worth the wait.

The wonderful cover:

View attachment 65584

Not entirely sure as to the man’s identity, he seems vaguely familiar....

The terrifying inside cover:

View attachment 65585

Win – Hollywood Baby Too: I’m rather mixed on this, not dislikeable per se but it felt like it was trying to be three songs at once. Catchy.

Denim – Middle of the Road: Denim’s 90s anthem to negativity and self-determination was a great listen.

Auteurs – The Rubettes: The whispered opening vocals for some reason conjured an image of a terrifying CBeebies presenter reading a bedtime story. Liked the song though.

Misty’s Big Adventure – Fashion Parade: Started well but the spoken word section preceded a disappointing descent into dreadfulness. Halfway between a terrible comedy record and horribly misguided experimentalism.

Baxendale – Music for Girls: An exercise in the electronic was well received by this NSC’er.

Annie – Chewing Gum: Took me back to the halcyon days of sunny 2004. Infectiously catchy and I liked it more than I would care to admit.

Momus – The Complete History of Sexual Jealousy Parts 17-24: This was a standout track with a wildly unwieldy title to match. The juxtaposition of the upbeat tune and the rather charged lyrics came off very well.

Frazier Chorus – Sloppy Heart: Infused with a steady classical verve, loved this track.

Stereo Total – Baby Revolution: Opening with what sounded like a shit doorbell played over and over this track settled down into a fairly subdued call for revolution. The most mild-mannered call to the proletariat I've ever heard. Mixed feelings about this one.

Add N to (X) – Plug Me In: A Vocoder driven jaunt which resembled the middle ground between Stephen Hawking’s voice and the Internet dial-up tone. Good track.

H Foundation – Laika: Visions of a ritual human sacrifice were flashing before my eyes for much of this piece. Went all Bernard Hermann at times with inflections of John Williams and Hans Zimmer here and there. On the whole a good listen but I couldn't help but feel I’d listened to the audio equivalent of a failed w*nk. All build-up but no climax. H Foundation should do movie scores.

One World Orchestra – The Magnificent: Decent, but very brief. A track that felt like it had more to say.

Looper – Mondo 77: It’s kind of difficult to explain exactly why I didn't like this one, there were bits I enjoyed but on the whole it just left me cold.

Bang Bang Machine – Technologica: Loved the riff on this, once the drums kicked in it just got better and better.

Danielle Dax – Big Hollow Man: Despite vocals sounding like one of the chipmunks with a sore throat this was, as the kids say, a ‘banger’ of a tune.

Knife – Heartbeats: Fantastic synth throughout, another great track.

Saloon – Impact: Brilliant tune which crescendo’d superbly.

Prolapse – Killing the Bland: The wonderfully named Prolapse’s closing song to this CD was a real treat.

Absolutely no idea who made me this but I offer my warmest thanks, far more hits than misses and plenty of bands I'm itching to check out further. Can honestly say I'd never heard of any of these artists so it's been a musical revelation for me.

I think I can guess this compiler, given away by attention to the cover as well as the Prolapse inclusion. As for Mistys Big Adventure I am not sure if they are still around but a huge favourite of my kids and often played in the car on the way to holidays. My daughter insisted on seeing them live at one of those Clapham Common music festivals. They were great fun and British Sea Power were playing too so everyone a winner. I seem to remember they also played the first ever Great Escape and did a few John Peel Sessions.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Here we go then

Apologies for the length of time take to do the review. I was a bit wary in the past that I’d rushed a bit so decided to spend a little more time with this CD. It probably didn’t hurt that I really liked it.

Ideal World – Girlpool: Female dual harmony vocals, bass and guitar, no drums. Good enough but I think a whole album might get on my tits. Bonus points for forming at The Smell though.

Periscopes - Jilk & Haiku Salat; I like the idea, Haiku Salut are this really hard to pigeonhole post-rock/folk/electronic outfit; they’ve teamed up, with a local (to them) glitch producer Jilk. It’s pleasant, without ever feeling that diverting.

Swirl – Westkust: I’d already marked them out as one to watch on this single, album is out in a couple of weeks. This particular song reminds me very much of The Pains of Being Pure at Heart’s debut. Lovely mix of tempos, crunchy and jangly guitars, male/female vocals and a great tune. Total winner.

I'll Be Your Mirror - Velvet Underground: One of my favourite songs by one of my favourite bands, mk 1.

Skanking Dub (feat. Augustus Pablo) - King Tubby I know bits and pieces of Tubby via his work with Lee Perry and Scientist. Great slab of prime dubbage, this is. Thanks.

Her Jazz - Huggy Bear I wouldn’t be surprised if the maker of this CD saw Huggy Bear a fair bit. Bizarrely, given the local connection they are a band I’ve not knowingly listened to but they do sound exactly like I thought they would. Which is like a slightly more amateur Bikini Kill, no bad thing whatsoever, I’d imagine they were a ****ing riot live.

The Art of Getting By – The Go Team Another local outfit that I’ve never given time to for no real discernible reason. Nice enough, a bit ‘lighter in the air’ for me. I assume this is one of their poppier moments?

Blue Skied An' Clear – Slowdive I’m aware, I should really like Slowdive; they made my mates cry with joy at Primavera last year. I listened through to this CD 7 or 8 times and it didn’t once really grab me. Nice bassline, lovely shimmery guitar, sound a little bit like Talk Talk doing dream-pop to me. I’m ripe for converting here but this wasn’t the tune.

Velocity Girl - Primal Scream It’s a pretty hard song to dislike isn’t it? This is the c-86 version of Primal Scream and despite them going on to better things it’s 90 seconds of lo-fi pop brilliance

Popcorn - The Upsetters Another massive reggae bassline, instrumental, brilliant (Lee Perry, I suspect) production. I reckon me and this NSC’er could have a wicked reggae night.

The Body Is a Clear Place - Virginia Wing I really like Virginia Wing, their album of last year ‘Measures of Joy’ grew on me. I suppose this track is a bit like Broadcast, really weird, imaginative, yet not offputtingly avante-garde psych-pop.

Throne of Blood - Prince Jammy Another lovely slab of dub that I hadn’t heard before. Can’t get enough of this gear really.

Drone - Chastity Belt Liked this a lot. Really keen on the vocal being so front/ centre of the song, quite a lot of the time the vocal is buried in this indie-pop/ shoegaze world, to the point of cliché. Simple structure to the song, doesn’t really do anything out of the ordinary.

The Rainstick Fable - Clap! Clap! Superb – afro heavy samples but moves through a number of recent electronic music tropes. Very clever stuff.

Malukayi (feat Konono No. 1) - Mbongwana Star Absolute banger, massive bassline, wicked sample. Sounds like afro-dancehall. Will definitely investigate further.

Hot Licks - The Rendells Rock n’ roll girlband thing. Pretty good, not something I’d go back to but I would get down to it on the right night.

King Kut (feat. DJ Cheese) - Word of Mouth Early hip-hop, turntable, scratching, sampler affair. Made me think of a more naive Run DMC.

Globe Town – Tigercats Not for me. The vocal melody reminds completely of something else that I can’t quite recall (I will though) and the voice sounds like complete affectation – it’s part Jamie T/ part Brit School whine. Perfectly competent, clean indie pop backing.

Hazel Street (Live) - Deerhunter Love this song from one of my favourite albums of the last 10 years. I used to listen to a lot Deerhunter boots – this one was possibly my favourite - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_q-9woAxw

Given my username, this is tant amount to cheating though!

Outdoor Miner – Wire ‘Chairs Missing’ is an all time favourite record of mine and this is a great moment from it.

You Never Should - My Bloody Valentine In my top 5 MBV songs, it sent me on an absolute MBV binge (which delayed this review.) I’m keener on You Made Me Realise, Feed Me With Your Kiss EP’s and Isn’t Anything era than Loveless. Against the rest of this CD the production is noticeably quieter. It always staggers me how different classic era MBV songs are quiet and when turned up loud, like a different band.

Tuner – Mogwai I don’t know Mogwai as well as I should. Seen them live a few times, always really enjoyed them, never felt the need to dig into their back catalogue. I’m guessing this is pre-‘Young Team,’ as I hadn't heard of it before. Really quiet and there’s a singer, pretty unMogwailike. Still great though.

Mbongwana Star was my favourite.

Last edited:

DavePage

To my receiver, apologies my accomplice in England has not received the CD (some 6 weeks has passed), I have burnt a different CD and will send it direct tomorrow. Sadly it will be obvious who it’s from, but hopefully the original will arrive first. So at least w will have a little bit of fun.

To my sender, thank you for the double CD, Yah I recognise 3 bands, lol
To be honest I played the first CD and thought WTF, must have had my over worked grumpy head or sometime. Since then I have played it numerous times and really enjoy it and the 2nd CD for that matter. I am finding the 1st CD easier to review but am struggling to describe the style of music on the second.
That being said I will attempt it sometime next week (has to be my busiest year work wise since moving to Canada, which I guess can’t be a bad thing).
I love this, I am being musically educated as the sender is truly blessed with a wide and diverse collection of music and that is to my benefit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here