Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where would our current strongest starting 11 finish if they were to play a whole season..

Where would we finish?

• Top 4

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • 4-8

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 8-12

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • 12-15

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • 15-17

Votes: 43 37.1%
  • Bottom 3

Votes: 29 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
14-20 with out any investment.

I personally think the PL will be stronger next year.

Sunderland and Boro are a joke - Newcastle and Brighton are better than them with owners that will invest.

Palace won't be as bad, nor will Hull or Swansea - whoever stays up.

At the top end I imagine City/pool/United will spend close to 200 million on players again.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We will probably need 10 or 11 wins to stay up, particularly if we can beat 3 teams both home and away. Anywhere around 15th will be a massive achievement

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Bottom three without a shadow of doubt. Just look at the games against recently relegated Villa and Newcastle. Physically they out muscled us a lot. Norwich less so clearly!

I would think to stay up we need to strengthen the centre of midfield or else we wont be getting much of the ball. Additionally none of our strikers are premier league strikers. Glenn will do a job but I doubt he would reach 10+ goals. We would need to spend fairly big on this area too.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
If this season is anything to go by, I expect that we'll be strong and difficult to beat at home and really struggle away from home.

I'm hopeful we'll be able to spring a few surprises during the season, and be able to compete well with the lower league sides like Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford, Palace, Hull/Swansea and whoever goes up with us. We were so much better than Hull last year and they still have a chance of surviving despite not investing much in their squad.

I don't think our squad is a million miles away from some of these teams as it stands today, but of course a few quality additions would make our job a whole lot easier.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Very easy if you scroll down to the first line, but rather less so if all that is on your screen is the tread title and the option to vote.

So it's the thread starters fault that you didn't actually read the thread?

Even if you didn't see it, surely the fact the options go "15-17" and the next option is "bottom 3" should surely be a clue that the thread wasn't about the Championship, a league with 24 teams.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Bloody hard to say. Some players you expect to make the step up won't and others may surprise you. I'd say outlet current starting best 11 isn't exactly flush with PL minutes under their belt. The leagues best player AK (not maybe my opinion) struggled at Leicester for game time, Murray likewise at Bournemouth although he was a strange signing for them, stock dale and LR were both relegated last time they were in the PL as well.
I think players like Dunk will have to grow up quickly in the league or we may struggle.
My best advice enjoy what's left of this season

If I was stabbing in dark we would finish somewhere between 18th-14th

Agree with all of this. I also think next year is going to be very tough and if we finish anywhere above 16th then I'll be a happy bunny. Apropos the original question, I'm under no illusions that we'll be flirting with relegation all season.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
xxxxed

.as it is, this time next year the club, (no longer 'we') will have spunked £30million on a bunch of money grabbing ********s and the club will be hoping that Steve McClaren can get something from the last couple of games.

WE. ARE. DOOMED.

Coxovi

NSC Patreon
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
Irrelevant question imho as nobody plays their best starting 11 more than a couple of times a season. If this season has taught us anything it is the importance of the squad. I would argue our top 11 is not who will (hopefully) get us promoted, it is the quality of those who have stepped in.

theboybilly

Head ruling my heart I have to say bottom three. If we go up we need 5 or 6 very decent players to come in both as starters and squad players. They don't have to cost the earth - smart recruitment should do it. The key next season will be trying to get as near as possible to 30pts at the Amex and sneak results away from home. It won't be pretty

theboybilly

Irrelevant question imho as nobody plays their best starting 11 more than a couple of times a season. If this season has taught us anything it is the importance of the squad. I would argue our top 11 is not who will (hopefully) get us promoted, it is the quality of those who have stepped in.

Seeing as we haven't been able to put out our strongest starting eleven once this season I would have to agree

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hard to say. Wouldnt say were much different now to where Burnley were last season and theyve done ok with limited investment. In fact were doing better than they were at this point last season.

Burnley have spent £51m in transfer fees in recent windows, including £28m last summer alone, including:

Hendrick £10.5m
Gray £9m
Defour £7.35m
Westwood £5m

What's our squad cost in total, £13m? Even little old Burnley and Dyche quite rightly realised you have to invest heavily to survive in the EPL.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here