Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone out there a Vegetarian or Vegan ?

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Yep not eaten a dead animal for about 32 years,can't even remember what it tasted like,it's so easy these days and more substitutes and range in food, I've always loved indian food as allot of different choices

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mentioned this on the burger thread; I recently made Mexican bean, sweet corn and jalapeño burgers, really satisfying, easily the best veggie burger I've ever had. Make those dude, she'll love it. Not quite as good as a dirty burger with egg, bacon, pineapple and cheese, but you can't have it all.

Hmm, can't find it online, I'll take a pic of the recipe if you want it. Also a really good sweet potato curry (I don't like sweet potato that much, but this was great), and made home made falafel the other day - piece of cake and it was miles better than shop bought stuff I'd been using. (Actually that's the annoying thing, having to make and take lunch to work as it's a faff finding vegan lunch)

Pineapple ? Nononono........#wrong

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Yep not eaten a dead animal for about 32 years,can't even remember what it tasted like,it's so easy these days and more substitutes and range in food, I've always loved indian food as allot of different choices
30 years a veggie and I'm just the same give me a good curry any time, meat really isn't attractive after all this time far too fatty I think I wouldn't be able to stomach it. The only time I feel I miss out is when travelling as food is such an important part of different cultures.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nice one G, what a nice thing to do, make sure she alters some part of her lifestyle if any of it offends you though.

Like Hook being her favourite Speilberg film? :lolol:

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
curious if vegans think it through. some (not all) will militantly avoid animal by products on ethical or environmental grounds, but not consider the source of their soya milk from plantations on ex-rainforest, or carbon footprint of their nuts. people comparing their milk replacments on their cereal made brought it to mind, i'd have thought ditching the cereals an easier option.
I understand what your musing about but I don't think anyone can contest the huge environmental impact of meat rearing, soya production has a big impact too and is of concern but it's not nearly on the scale of beef production which in terms of resources is incredibly intensive.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I understand what your musing about but I don't think anyone can contest the huge environmental impact of meat rearing, soya production has a big impact too and is of concern but it's not nearly on the scale of beef production which in terms of resources is incredibly intensive.

Very much this. If anyone wants to make a big dent in their carbon footprint dropping meat is a very good start.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

This is the point I was going to make. Intensive cereal production around the world is mainly for animal feed. Argentina's pampas is fast becoming a Gm soya field to provide feed for the meat industry. The rainforest is also suffering.
Most of the grains I eat are not from intensive production.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
its clear from our diet, physiology and that of other primates, we are omnivores. the subject of cooking is very important, because we are able to consume a wider range of foods and in smaller quanities than if we did not cook them. alot of raw vegetables and fruits (less so) are partially undigestible to us, we call it fibre or cut it off. nuts are reputed to be good for weight loss for example, which is due to them largely passing through. you also need to consume large quantities of high protien, non-animal foods to get the same amount of proportion of digestable protein, then theres a few proteins we cant get from veg, and some minerals in veg form arent readily absorbed (iron in particular). someone earlier pointed out the age of plenty we have means we dont have to think about any of this, and thats about the rub of it, otherwise veganism (vegetarian not so much) would be poor for health, theres enough substitutes to get by.

Its arguable that our primate ancestors are omnivores, the diet of primates is 95% to 99% purely plant based, with the majority of the rest being termites, in fact a chimps meat consumption is so small (1%-3%) and sporadic as to be virtually non-existent. Gorillas and orang-utans eat no meat at all.

The early ancestors of modern humans (around 4 million years ago) followed diets almost exclusively of plant-foods. We then became hunter gatherers who took advantage of dependable sources of food in our local environments. Meat consumption would vary from Arctic Eskimos where a large portion of their diet would have been derived from meat to diets composed largely of plants such as with the aborigines. Ultimately the emphasis on hunting in different parts of the world increased due to plant scarcity. More recently countries like India have a history of vegetarianism going back 1000's of years.

A Vegetarian can of course these days go in to a supermarket and get all the food we need for a healthy diet, the same way that meat eaters can without the need for hunting and killing what they eat. Ultimately now its all just a matter of choice nothing to do with whether we are naturally carnivores, omnivores or herbivores.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Simple? If everyone was a vegan, the logical conclusion to reach is that chickens, cows, pigs and sheep would all become extinct. Who in their right mind would keep farm animals alive if there was no use for them?

That hinges on whether you believe that a life of captivity, torture and slaughter is beneficial over not being born in the first place. A lot of our farm animals never see the light of day. They are genetically modified, pumped with antibiotics and in certain parts of the world steroids, kept in small spaces sometimes sat in their own excrement. Ultimately a large portion of the meat people eat is intensively farmed which is why it is so cheap.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
49abf31d4cc381c27398eb0ed216b5cb.jpg

You're such a Dick Head. :rolleyes:...

:moo:.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
30 years a veggie and I'm just the same give me a good curry any time, meat really isn't attractive after all this time far too fatty I think I wouldn't be able to stomach it. The only time I feel I miss out is when travelling as food is such an important part of different cultures.

That's one of the main reasons I could never (well, not any time soon) go fully veggie or vegan. I love travelling and eating out- as you say, it's a massive part of the culture. My options would be so limited in Seville without eating meat or fish. In India on the other hand, going veggie is incredibly easy.

Either way, meat, fish, eggs and cheese are delicious.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's one of the main reasons I could never (well, not any time soon) go fully veggie or vegan. I love travelling and eating out- as you say, it's a massive part of the culture. My options would be so limited in Seville without eating meat or fish. In India on the other hand, going veggie is incredibly easy.

Either way, meat, fish, eggs and cheese are delicious.

Same with me. Travel and food are quite big aspects of my life and the two go hand in hand so well. These days I see places through their food (and drink) more than anything else.

That said I'm sympathetic and sensitive to the issue of intensive farming and also prefer Indy to big chains but don't always stick to my rules.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Talking sense in a well-written, considerate post, not ranting or alienating anyone. Might jut be me but [MENTION=961]Half Time Pies[/MENTION] is making me very uncomfortable with his eloquence!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Talking sense in a well-written, considerate post, not ranting or alienating anyone. Might jut be me but [MENTION=961]Half Time Pies[/MENTION] is making me very uncomfortable with his eloquence!

Yes and he had the foresight to go undercover with an avatar linking him to football stadium pies. They think he's on their side!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
curious if vegans think it through. some (not all) will militantly avoid animal by products on ethical or environmental grounds, but not consider the source of their soya milk from plantations on ex-rainforest, or carbon footprint of their nuts. people comparing their milk replacments on their cereal made brought it to mind, i'd have thought ditching the cereals an easier option.

You do realise most soya is fed to livestock don't you? Animal agriculture is one of the most damaging forces on the planet, from deforestation, habitat destruction, polluted waters in both rivers and the release of methane into the air. Not too mention the incredible amount of water used in maintainence of the animal agriculture industry.

If you call yourself an environmentalist but eat still eat meat, you really need to do some research. The two footprints are not even remotely close.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here