Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky Adams

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
A complete and utter legend. I remember when he left for Leicester, I wrote him a letter thanking him for restoring the pride in our team. He managed to find the time to send me a handwritten response. He was great for us the 1st time around.

nick65

Jun 9, 2013
New Jersey
I don't He's always beene how bad he has been since, or how bad the second spell was (bar Man City) - will always have a soft spot for Micky Adams.

We had been so shite for so long when he built that team, and right from the 14 unbeaten to finish the season before it was brilliant to watch

From where we were, putting together a team on a shoestring that got back to back promotions was some achievement. And he also pitched in with the protests and marches for Falmer when it was all a long way off. I think that day at Plymouth was one of my favourite as an Albion fan.

Brilliant post, says it all really. He's still one of my favourite managers, it's just sad it ended the way it did.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Surprised given his affinity with the Albion we haven't heard anything in the media from him since we got promoted. After the baron years at Gillingham it was him that got the ball rolling after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Surprised given his affinity with the Albion we haven't heard anything in the media from him since we got promoted. After the baron years at Gillingham it was him that got the ball rolling after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly lording it now.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I don't care how bad he has been since, or how bad the second spell was (bar Man City) - will always have a soft spot for Micky Adams.

We had been so shite for so long when he built that team, and right from the 14 unbeaten to finish the season before it was brilliant to watch not only Zamora running riot, but the 'all-for-one' attitude of Cullip/Oatway/Rogers/Carpenter etc.

From where we were, putting together a team on a shoestring that got back to back promotions was some achievement. And he also pitched in with the protests and marches for Falmer when it was all a long way off. I think that day at Plymouth was one of my favourite as an Albion fan.

Very much this. I remember Leicester away when they secured promotion and we lost. More or less the first thing Adams did after the game ended was to run over to us and clap us (just think how that would have been received say if Hughton did that against Newcastle) [MENTION=1318]Comedy Steve[/MENTION] had nabbed our spare ticket that day and I remember him commenting that 'It made my day that' It did.

I'm sure someone will mention that he whored himself about when he was here and that he did. He also had an affinity to the club that not everyone shares whose been down here. He got it. Despite playing Adam Virgo at right wing and hoofing long balls to him, I'll remember the good things over and above the bad.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I was a massive fan of his from his first stint as manager and when I heard he had returned I thought our club had turned a corner and would move onto great things, such was the faith I had in his ability.

I was shocked at how short his second spell was but we've really improved almost season by season since then

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He was absolutely fantastic for us in his first spell. This might sound ridiculous bearing in mind what's happened recently, but those 2/3 seasons he was in charge were my favourite as a Brighton fan. I was so excited when he came back and so, so disappointed how it worked out.

I lived round the corner from him in Warsash near Southampton when he played for them and he was a lovely guy. I went to school with his daughters and he came in to coach our football team when he was still a player for Saints.

A few years later he also did a presentation evening for our football team one year and was going to do it again the following year but something came up so he couldn't do it. Instead he arranged for our very own Warren Aspinall to do it last minute who was also brilliant.

Micky is a top, top man and to me, an Albion legend.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
According to the BBC he's now managing the Under 18s side at Harborough Town, who play in the ninth tier of the pyramid.

I note from the report that he left his last role in Ireland in 2015 for family reasons, so maybe that's a factor in why he's dropped down so far.

To think, the last time we played (and beat) Man City he was in charge...how things have changed for us and him since.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40371403

Never forget what he did for us and part of the turnaround of the club putting on the path to where we are now!

I don't care how bad he has been since, or how bad the second spell was (bar Man City) - will always have a soft spot for Micky Adams.

We had been so shite for so long when he built that team, and right from the 14 unbeaten to finish the season before it was brilliant to watch not only Zamora running riot, but the 'all-for-one' attitude of Cullip/Oatway/Rogers/Carpenter etc.

Nicely put. I will always be a Micky Adams fan. What he did for us first time round was truly amazing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Micky is one of the most important managers in the history of this club. He and Dick Knight got the show back on the road, great days!

oddsonlaughter

Jan 24, 2008
As a Tranmere fan down here I have never been more disappointed in a manager than I was in Adams, when he joined I remember thinking of the work he did for you and really believing with the backing we had he would storm up the league, instead we got a spiky manager who was constantly arguing with the press and at one stage saying that Mourinho would not have saved the club as he has had to use the players hes got - which would have been fine but he had signed 26 players at this point!

Sometimes it was so bad it was almost like he was on a mission to sabotage us, we went on a good run playing 352 and were climbing up the table when he decided to suddenly go 424 in 2 crucial away games which we conceded 4 in each without a shot on goal, it was madness

The only thing Adams did when here was make the press conferences interesting especially to one of our young journalists who he took exception to. one that springs to mind is:

Press: Is Jason Koumas in with a chance when fit
MA: You love Koumas don't you ( in a real sarcastic voice )
Press: But will Koumas have a chance when fit?
MA: (Long Pause) As I say you love Koumas

On Elliot Richards " It was my first look at him and he is a million miles away from ever being in one of my sides"

He took 7 players ( including then our top scorer ) and just froze them out the side

It was just a really odd time as a Tranmere fan and for us he has to take a massive share of the blame for us going down

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Looking forward to the book, the week at Swansea, sacked at Fulham by Al Fayed and his arrival at the Albion, his first tenure will be the stuff of legends, I'm also looking forward to reading about his second spell, I've no doubt he won't pull any punches, so hopefully it might change a few people's perspectives when they know what actually happened.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Looking forward to the book, the week at Swansea, sacked at Fulham by Al Fayed and his arrival at the Albion, his first tenure will be the stuff of legends, I'm also looking forward to reading about his second spell, I've no doubt he won't pull any punches, so hopefully it might change a few people's perspectives when they know what actually happened.

I'm sure the Leicester La Manga escapade will make interesting reading.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I have a lot of respect for what he did and has done for the Albion. He fully back Falmer attending the Marches on the seafront and if it wasnt for his first spell, I may not be a Brighton fan today at the age of 13 when he took over it was incredibke to go along every week and see the Div 3 winning side and then the following season. (I still believe Taylor deserves a bit more credit than he ever got).

However second time around it was a huge disapointment to see Wilkins go.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here