Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

police dealing with incident on London bridge.,

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
BBC reporting that one of the terrorists was on 'Jihadis next door.' I've just watched the clip they showed of this group unfurling an ISIS flag and praying to it in a public park. It is very troubling that this is allowed in our country. Something does need to change.

I wouldn't fancy the chances of someone caught doing it right now. I suspect there are plenty of people who would gladly argue with the courts after the event. Not that I am advocating vigilante violence but the government need to get a handle on this before we do start to lose any sense of cohesiveness that currently exists.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I don't label myself to any religion, but I do like the concepts and philosophy of buddhism, hinduism and other eastern schools of thought that are regarded as religions. There are now hundreds of published studies on scientific journals that show the benefits of yoga, meditation, mindfulness etc on the mind and body. Also buddhist leaders are all for adapting buddhism to modernity (what is shown to be true and not true by science). I know what you mean though.
Yeah when you put it like that I should probably adjust what I meant [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I would like to call on our Prime Minister, on Friday morning, to name all victims of terror, posthumously in the New Years Honours List.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
But as I say, not all Christians are the same. Some still do believe the bible is the word of god.

I can tell you there are plenty of Christians around who have a pretty fundamental view on everything in the Bible being the inspired word of God. We are lucky that they put the responsibility for the execution of God's kingdom in the hands of Jesus and not themselves. Otherwise Christianity would be in the same state as Islam.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This seems to be a comprehensive study of it.
http://christianthinktank.com/midian.html

Blimey, I wish it were easier to read. At first glance and it really was a glance it looks like a load of apologetic gymnastic nonsense. Have you read it yourself? If you have what is it trying to say?

Edit: Oh no here we go:

First of all, there was no ‘test for virginity’ needed/used. In spite of the elaborate/miraculous one created by the later rabbis (ingenious, but altogether unnecessary) using the Urim and Thummim (!), the ‘test for virginity’ in the ANE was a simple visual one:

It sounds the sort of thing Muslims are taught to say in their apologetics..

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Blimey, I wish it were easier to read. At first glance and it really was a glance it looks like a load of apologetic gymnastic nonsense. Have you read it yourself? If you have what is it trying to say?

The font is really small, but there was a lot of historical context, explaining the worship of Baal, sexual deceits with prostitutes, nomadic tribes etc.
It's not surprising it's apologetic as it was written by a Christian, but interesting all the same.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The font is really small, but there was a lot of historical context, explaining the worship of Baal, sexual deceits with prostitutes, nomadic tribes etc.
It's not surprising it's apologetic as it was written by a Christian, but interesting all the same.

Yes. I have edited my last comment to something that stands out, and is the type of arguments Muslims will use.

First of all, there was no ‘test for virginity’ needed/used. In spite of the elaborate/miraculous one created by the later rabbis (ingenious, but altogether unnecessary) using the Urim and Thummim (!), the ‘test for virginity’ in the ANE was a simple visual one:

So of course no non virgins were killed.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
If you seriously believe in a religion in this day and age in a western country, you need to have a long hard look at yourself.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

There has to be a point in the future, when anyone who still believe in a god, is going to be labelled mentally ill. Because that's what it is.

mental illness
noun
a condition which causes serious disorder in a person's behaviour or thinking.

How does that not perfectly sum up religion.

As someone once said

Religion's greatest achievement is not getting people to believe in it, that's easy, it is stopping the rest of us mocking it.

There has to be a point in the future, where we can openly mock every religion that believes in a god...... hasn't there?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wouldn't say they advocate not actually doing the crap bits. I would say they choose to ignore the crap bits.

Advocate not doing the crap bits. Choosing to ignore the crap bits. Choosing not to do the crap bits. Advocating ignoring them..............

Pretty much all the same thing; good. Just stated in a non-patronising way; even better.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Advocate not doing the crap bits. Choosing to ignore the crap bits. Choosing not to do the crap bits. Advocating ignoring them..............

Pretty much all the same thing; good. Just stated in a non-patronising way; even better.

So glad you approve. Patronising enough again for you? :wink: :wink: :D :D

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
There has to be a point in the future, when anyone who still believe in a god, is going to be labelled mentally ill. Because that's what it is.

mental illness
noun
a condition which causes serious disorder in a person's behaviour or thinking.

How does that not perfectly sum up religion.

As someone once said

Religion's greatest achievement is not getting people to believe in it, that's easy, it is stopping the rest of us mocking it.

There has to be a point in the future, where we can openly mock every religion that believes in a god...... hasn't there?

Unless those future scientist can prove why there is a universe instead of nothing at all and show everyone that the universe is essentially pointless and not mysterious in the slightest with such conviction and clarity...then there will always be people that believe in a creator of the universe.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought we'd been doing that for decades.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Ha. That came from Guido Fawkes!!!
The only reference to it on a google search too.

Why don't you find an official reference to that bill and confirmation that the Labour bigwigs voted against, before passing on hearsay?

What I can find for certain is that special exclusion orders were introduced in 2014/2015. So surely the former and current home secs would have been using these on all returning IS fighters, right?
Well, Theresa May and Amber Rudd have used ONE in two and a half years.

Edit: PB did your job.
So, it did exist after all. I note the House of Lords also voted against it. As, PB states, did every single Labour MP.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You have missed my point that God ordered Moses to slaughter all the men, boys and female non virgins from the Midianite tribe. Christians say that Jesus is God. How you get around this. Do you claim the Old Testament is just a book of stories and Jesus the God is a different God in the Old Testament and they are not directly connected?

I take your point.

It's not a question of getting round it.
Maybe God did command Moses, but then changed his mind and his strategy when he decided to send his only begotten son......
Maybe Moses misheard, made it up or misinterpreted the message. We are talking about something that is supposed to have happened over 3000 years ago and it might have become muddled in the telling and retelling.
It doesn't overly bother me. I am not a creationist or somebody who takes everything in the Bible literally. I had a very interesting conversation recently with another preacher in the Methodist Church about whether Jesus might have been the result of the rape of Mary by a Roman Soldier - it is something I would not dismiss.

What I would treat as important is the nature of what Jesus said and taught - deliberately creating conflict with the Temple authorities (the leaders of his own Jewish religion) for their over-zealous interpretation of the Sabbath....... "am I supposed not to help somebody who needs help just because it is the Sabbath". It was the appllcation of a certain degree of common sense against the religious zealots of the day might be one way of looking at it.

I'll probably be struck down by a thunderbolt now...... such is life.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

It seems that 221 other labour MPs voted against it too, and all the SNP.

http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/division.php?date=2014-05-07&number=266&display=allvotes&sort=vote

Party Majority (Aye) Minority (No) Both Turnout
Con 264 (+1 tell) 2 0 87.8%
DUP 4 0 0 50.0%
Green 0 1 0 100.0%
Independent 0 1 0 50.0%
Lab 0 224 (+2 tell) 0 87.6%
LDem 37 (+1 tell) 1 0 69.6%
PC 0 2 0 66.7%
SDLP 0 2 0 66.7%
SNP 0 6 0 100.0%
Total: 305 239 0 85.5%

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports