Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TWO MORE SITES added to the list of alternatives to Falmer

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Well it was already a big ready-made hole in the ground, so no excavation, and it was an eyesore that needed tidying up, so putting a football ground there seemed ideal. However it only took a few seconds of consideration to realise that it was totally unsuitable. The site would have cost millions to clear (as it's riddled with asbestos), before we even started building. There is virtually no access as it's only served by a single country lane and a dismantled railway. Rebuilding the railway (nearly four miles not a few hundred yards) would have added even more - plus the ongoing maintenance as it would be the football club's private branch used only on match days. That's before you got the difficulty of running a matchday service with all the fans going one-way. (Where would they change to separate between East and West?)

You say you were viewing it from afar so you probably didn't realise the problems. FPC etc were relying on people like you to say "Hey that sounds good!"so they could muddy the waters. Believe me no fully sentient person in Sussex thought it was remotely feasible.

Ancient history as you say, but re-reading this thread makes me remember just how much effort we had to put in to getting the stadium. It was battle after battle after battle, and actually I don't think it should be forgotten.

The line from the cement works to the junction with the coast line is two and a half miles, not four miles. And the road is not a "country lane" it's the A283. Facts, dear boy, facts!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The line from the cement works to the junction with the coast line is two and a half miles, not four miles. And the road is not a "country lane" it's the A283. Facts, dear boy, facts!

Ok, nearly three miles then, not four. Certainly more than a few hundred yards. (Plus a bridge to be re-built which I didn't mention). And it IS a country lane! It's single carriageway in both directions with lots of bends. Its number is irrelevant, you could call it the M1 if you like, it would still be the equivalent of all the Amex traffic having to use the equivalent of the Woodingdean road.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well it was already a big ready-made hole in the ground, so no excavation, and it was an eyesore that needed tidying up, so putting a football ground there seemed ideal. However it only took a few seconds of consideration to realise that it was totally unsuitable. The site would have cost millions to clear (as it's riddled with asbestos), before we even started building. There is virtually no access as it's only served by a single country lane and a dismantled railway. Rebuilding the railway (nearly four miles not a few hundred yards) would have added even more - plus the ongoing maintenance as it would be the football club's private branch used only on match days. That's before you got the difficulty of running a matchday service with all the fans going one-way. (Where would they change to separate between East and West?)

You say you were viewing it from afar so you probably didn't realise the problems. FPC etc were relying on people like you to say "Hey that sounds good!"so they could muddy the waters. Believe me no fully sentient person in Sussex thought it was remotely feasible.

Ancient history as you say, but re-reading this thread makes me remember just how much effort we had to put in to getting the stadium. It was battle after battle after battle, and actually I don't think it should be forgotten.
Yes, I know we didn't go for the cement works site, and that there were reasons for this. I wasn't advocating that we should have gone for it, or anything like that, so I really didn't need a lecture about it. thank you.
But please note. it was nearly three miles of railway, not four; there was no need to over-state your case. there wasn't a point that had to be proved...............................

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
2.3 miles in fact so nearer 2 than 3. And it would have been relatively easy to make the road 4 lane from the A27 as there are no buildings on that stretch and room either side for the additional lane. I'm not suggesting it was a viable option, but correct facts are vital.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
2.3 miles in fact so nearer 2 than 3. And it would have been relatively easy to make the road 4 lane from the A27 as there are no buildings on that stretch and room either side for the additional lane. I'm not suggesting it was a viable option, but correct facts are vital.

The cost of doing that would have been absolutely mindboggling. Widening the A283 and getting the railway with a station up and running would have dwarfed the cost of building the stadium itself.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

An unwitting yet excellent example of the kind of perversely pedantic obstacles thrown in our way.

Oct 25, 2003
we could have used the river and run a FERRY service to the stadium though couldn't we

i'm only joking of course, it's a ludicrous place to put a stadium

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The cost of doing that would have been absolutely mindboggling. Widening the A283 and getting the railway with a station up and running would have dwarfed the cost of building the stadium itself.

According to DoT figures, the cost of motorway per lane is £1.5m per km, the cost of track is £12.5m per km. 2.5 miles is 4 km so the cost of track would be 4 x 25 = £100m and the cost of the road widening would be £12m. That doesn't include the cost of station, footpaths, any bridges and improvements to access roads - you could probably add about £30 to 40m for that.

Compared to that, the cost of demolishing the cement works and the asbestos removal would have been peanuts. :)

You do wonder how the cement works was considered at all. It would take just five minutes thought to realise this was a non-starter.

An unwitting yet excellent example of the kind of perversely pedantic obstacles thrown in our way.
Indeed. A bit like the FACT proclaimed by Lewes District Council that it took only 20 minutes to walk from central Brighton to Sheepcote Valley.

I think they said much the same about the walk from Hove Station to Toads Hole Valley.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Genuine question. because was year 2004 or before the original Planning Permission was submitted or the Falmer was quite so clear cut a choice. . It was noticed by me that was were no grounds for refusal (proven by the Training Ground application) so getting Planning Permission would be relatively straightforward and much quicker. Also there was room for a car park so no park 'n ride. Bolton built a railway station for their stadium and there had already previously been a railway station at Shoreham Airport. Railways were in public ownership.

As time went by the advantages of Pende (easier Planning Permission, no National Park Authority, no Lewes Council and a supportive Adur Council), the advantages receded and the longer term planning process, and most of all the changing football finances with the TV money made Falmer a much clearer first choice. My original plan envisaged building the training complex next to the stadium. Land was planning zoned for sports and recreation. Back at in 2004 or earlier, without the huge TV money, ancillary development was the way to offset the cost of building stadia. That would have been possible at Pende. Hotel already there

You are utterly mad. Let's spike some of that utter twaddle now. It's incredible you still believe it 12 years on.

The planning application went in in 2001.

Your numbers were clearly fabricated, based on nothing - as was proved.

Railways were not in public ownership, they were privatised on John Major's watch in the mid-90s. And if they were still in public ownership, that still irrelevant.

Adur Council was NOT supportive of a stadium at 'Pende'. They were pissed off - mostly at you - at being dragged into the argument, and really didn't want the stadium in their area. They also didn't want to have to spend the time and expense on rebutting your fairy tales.

In 2004, the TV money was irrelevant to the Albion - we were a yo-yoing second/third division side at the time with no real prospects of hitting pay dirt. And certainly not enough to build a stadium.

Hindsight says that Falmer was a much greater success than the optimists anticipated (as the initial number of seats indicated). I think this was because it is actually nearer for lots of fans that did not even go to the Goldstone (lots because they were not even born). I don't think Falmer is difficult to get to. Just Southern Rail is bloody useless.

It wasn't hindsight that made Falmer a success, it was forethought. It was you - and only you - who thought that 'Pende' would be a success. As was proved at the public inquiry, 'Pende' was... bollocks. The success of Falmer was - as best as possible - planned, not chanced upon.

I don't believe you were working hand-in-glove with Lewes District Council - of course not. However, they were scouting around this website looking for any morsel, any opportunity, which would mean Falmer wouldn't get built, and you handed it gift-wrapped on a plate to them. This was nothing more than your own vanity trip, based on fantasy and wanton hope - and it cost the club another six-figure sum, when it didn't have it. And you still stand by it. Unbelievable.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It amazes me how Perseus still claims to be a Brighton fan after all the money he cost the club at a torrid time, just so the stadium was on his doorstep. And yet he still has the audacity to come on here and complain about the trains/journey time. Sickening really.

Thankfully it's water under the bridge now.

albionite

May 20, 2009
You are utterly mad. Let's spike some of that utter twaddle now. It's incredible you still believe it 12 years on.

The planning application went in in 2001.

Your numbers were clearly fabricated, based on nothing - as was proved.

Railways were not in public ownership, they were privatised on John Major's watch in the mid-90s. And if they were still in public ownership, that still irrelevant.

Adur Council was NOT supportive of a stadium at 'Pende'. They were pissed off - mostly at you - at being dragged into the argument, and really didn't want the stadium in their area. They also didn't want to have to spend the time and expense on rebutting your fairy tales.

In 2004, the TV money was irrelevant to the Albion - we were a yo-yoing second/third division side at the time with no real prospects of hitting pay dirt. And certainly not enough to build a stadium.

It wasn't hindsight that made Falmer a success, it was forethought. It was you - and only you - who thought that 'Pende' would be a success. As was proved at the public inquiry, 'Pende' was... bollocks. The success of Falmer was - as best as possible - planned, not chanced upon.

I don't believe you were working hand-in-glove with Lewes District Council - of course not. However, they were scouting around this website looking for any morsel, any opportunity, which would mean Falmer wouldn't get built, and you handed it gift-wrapped on a plate to them. This was nothing more than your own vanity trip, based on fantasy and wanton hope - and it cost the club another six-figure sum, when it didn't have it. And you still stand by it. Unbelievable.

Well said but not sure it was down to vanity he is too much of a loon for that.

Purely down to the fact he lives in shoreham and it would be easier for him to get to the match.

You only have to read the bollocks he writes on football forums how obsessed he is on how long it takes him to get to falmer and back to shoreham.(along with every post being about Buckley)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
a reminder of what delusion looks like...

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Pende.htm

I'd not seen that before. Totally bonkers.

I particularly like the idea that people arrive by ferry to Newhaven. That's a 4.5 hour journey from France. Adding boarding and disembarking times and the journey to Shoreham, you're looking at 7 hours. Would there be one single person who wants to do that?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Notes: This plan envisages a club about twice the size of Manchester United, by space available and potential (every single football fan south of the Thames)"

I have not the words.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here