Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] prison sentences in the uk

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
What prison sentence if found guilty would you give them and what sentence do you think they will get.

It seems that in these types of cases the parents get the life sentence, and often for the crime the offenders have committed never long enough, i would personally like them to spend the rest of their life in prison for what they have done, never come out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-43166813

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If dangerous driving, with the hit and run element, IMO they should physically serve 10 years in a (non open) prison.

In reality they will serve 7 at the absolute maximum.

And if they ever did this again, life, which in reality can average 14 years I understand.

Driving around in a 2 tonne missile which no care for the lives for others = scum.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the biggest problem with our system is the remission and parole. If sentenced to 5 years the offenders should complete 5 years and the idea of the remission is for behaving in prison is totally wrong if a person doesnt behave in prison just take them before the courts again and add more to their sentence or take away privileges like tv etc.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The fact we half prison sentences in this country is something to be extremely ashamed of.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
For the driver, possibly the maximum 14 year sentence for death by drink and dangerous driving, depending on circumstances.

For the passenger, it entirely depends on their role in the tragedy. It is possible they have not committed a crime at all?

I think our laws are sensible; harsh but fair. You're right that it is a life sentence for the parents, but criminals need to be fairly punished and rehabilitated according to what they have done. It is very unlikely the driver killed these children intentionally, but rather made an unforgivable, terrible mistake. Having them rot in prison until death may feel like it is deserved from an emotional perspective, but rationally in terms of the criminal intent it would not be justice.

I don't see having a drink and driving your car as a mistake, he made a choice to drive his car after a few drinks, he may not have intended to kill them little kids but by doing what he did increased the chance of something like this happening, he made a choice, drive my car drunk or not, and for taking away the lives of 2 little kids his sentence should be the same as the parents, life.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
The sentence should mean what it says, Fourteen years in prison should mean fourteen years in prison. Furthermore, if convicted of more than one offence, the sentences should run consecutively, not concurrently. And in driving offences, any ban should should come into effect after the sentence has been served, not from the date of sentencing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are other unbelievably lenient sentences in the media in the last few days involving chld cruelty by 'parents' that are too depressing to link.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Never understood why people who drink drive and end up killing someone are not charged with manslaughter. The definition seems to fit, and carries a possible life sentence

manslaughter. n. the unlawful killing of another person without premeditation or so-called "malice aforethought" (an evil intent prior to the killing). It is distinguished from murder (which brings greater penalties) by lack of any prior intention to kill anyone or create a deadly situation.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Dangerous driving is punished incredibly leniently in this country.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Never understood why people who drink drive and end up killing someone are not charged with manslaughter. The definition seems to fit, and carries a possible life sentence

manslaughter. n. the unlawful killing of another person without premeditation or so-called "malice aforethought" (an evil intent prior to the killing). It is distinguished from murder (which brings greater penalties) by lack of any prior intention to kill anyone or create a deadly situation.

Because apologists say it's just a mistake that anyone could make.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
For manslaughter, the crime would have to be an unlawful act in its own right, for example driving the car at somebody using the car as a weapon. Driving is not an inherently unlawful act and so not punishable as a manslaughter charge while merely misusing the vehicle, which is why laws such as 'death by drink/dangerous driving' were introduced.

But surely driving a car whilst pissed IS an unlawful act?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But surely driving a car whilst pissed IS an unlawful act?

There are of course degrees of being over the limit.a reading of 40 obviously is not as bad as a reading of 95 but where do you draw the line as to which is causing death by dangerous driving and causing death by drunken driving. Legal men would make even more money than they do now. disputing the difference.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There are of course degrees of being over the limit.a reading of 40 obviously is not as bad as a reading of 95 but where do you draw the line as to which is causing death by dangerous driving and causing death by drunken driving. Legal men would make even more money than they do now. disputing the difference.

I would assume that it's black and white in being simply over the DD limit, meaning causing death by drunken driving can be the charge.

Then if found guilty, the judge would look more harshly on a much higher alcohol reading.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Dangerous driving is punished incredibly leniently in this country.

I am a bleeding heart liberal usually but I do think many driving offences are punished far too leniently.

I think drink driving should carry a mandatory prison sentence.

The detterrent would stop many people risking the crime.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am a bleeding heart liberal usually but I do think many driving offences are punished far too leniently.

I think drink driving should carry a mandatory prison sentence.

The detterrent would stop many people risking the crime.

What do you reckon of using mobiles non-hands free? Driving a car or truck, when not actively looking at the road etc ahead, is astonishing.

I thought that a minimum 9 points, no flexibiliy for magistrates, might finally focus minds.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
What do you reckon of using mobiles non-hands free? Driving a car or truck, when not actively looking at the road etc ahead, is astonishing.

I thought that a minimum 9 points, no flexibiliy for magistrates, might finally focus minds.

I honestly think a week in prison is a justifiable sentence.

Someone talking on the phone or texting, is potentially putting the lives of other road users in jeopardy.

It's like giving penalties for shirt pulling at corners. There would be an outcry of how unfair it is, but then after a few people were punished, people / players would stop doing it as the punishment is so severe.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here