Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I’ve travelled to many cities and London is by far the best for food (although my favorite restaurant is outside of London). It’s all there, and with very high standards. And Jay Rayner has made and interesting case for their being better Italian restaurants in London than there are in Italy these days.
London does have great food, but I raise you Tokyo. Japan doesn't do bad food, it's not culturally acceptable!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
London does have great food, but I raise you Tokyo. Japan doesn't do bad food, it's not culturally acceptable!

I’ve been to Tokyo a couple of times and agree the food, (and craft beer scene for that matter) is good but it doesn’t have anywhere near the variety of London

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That St John rating is all you need to know. That’s absurd.

Well, quite; thus showing that your point about reviews being a good way to avoid poor food doesn’t necessarily work. I would posit that the average diner at St John will mark harsher than the average diner at Zizzi - that’s how Zizzi comes to be ranked more than 1000 places better than St John. Ludicrous, as you say.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A few years ago (well, ok, a good few years ago) I had an amazing Persian (as it was then) meal in a restaurant in the Ladbrook Grove, Notting Hill Gate area. I know there are several Persian/Iranian restaurants in Brighton/Hove but are any of them any good and failing that has anyone got any recommendations further afield?

Sorry, no knowledge of Persian in Brighton; but Diba in Wimbledon is excellent.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, quite; thus showing that your point about reviews being a good way to avoid poor food doesn’t necessarily work. I would posit that the average diner at St John will mark harsher than the average diner at Zizzi - that’s how Zizzi comes to be ranked more than 1000 places better than St John. Ludicrous, as you say.

I agree about Tripadvisor but there’s always reviews from local printed media and blogs and stuff.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I agree about Tripadvisor but there’s always reviews from local printed media and blogs and stuff.

Sure - but you have to be a foodie to read those. The average punter simply won’t do that...

I don’t think that blog/ independent reviews create foodies, they just point people who are already foodies to new places to try.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went to a nice place last night. It’s called Fleischerei and situated in an old butchers, and meat features heavily. Had rabbit rillette for starter, and a lovely pulled veal shin croquette with creamed celeriac, peas and beans and a few glasses of a heavy Austrian red. Wandered to Mikkeller for a cheeky Nuclear Hop Assault DIPA and then onto Brewdog for a Native Son IPA.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sure - but you have to be a foodie to read those. The average punter simply won’t do that...

I don’t think that blog/ independent reviews create foodies, they just point people who are already foodies to new places to try.

Possibly. I do believe that articles, reviews, and adverts, of local places in publications like Latest Homes do steer regular punters to the door though. Or did. I’ve not read Latest Homes for about 5 years now.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Damn that democracy, and self-selecting discerning elites of the world unite!

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Possibly. I do believe that articles, reviews, and adverts, of local places in publications like Latest Homes do steer regular punters to the door though. Or did. I’ve not read Latest Homes for about 5 years now.

I'm particularly pleased to say I've never read Latest Homes in my life.
Beyond my cheekiness, interesting debate. How does one become a foodie? I suspect it comes a lot earlier than eating out, and is about being exposed to a range of foods from an early age but I wouldn't want to say it's solely down to that. There's always the chance for a Damascene conversion. I remember quite vividly an episode of Food & Drink (?) probably in the 80s in which a Geordie trucker was dined by one of the Rouxs and was utterly transformed by the experience. We'd probably all acknowledge that there's been a cultural shift in Britain regarding food since then, and there are probably a fair few factors driving this: would anyone else like to identify any others?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Oh, I'll take you up on that. Democracy should be the process of spreading (e)quality throughout society. Elitism is indifferent to the demos at best, and its policies usually actively prevent such a process.

On the general point, you are of course correct, and I agree. However, I thought you were responding to my point about the average St John diner marking more harshly than the average Zizzi diner. If not, I withdraw the challenge.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Beyond my cheekiness, interesting debate. How does one become a foodie? I suspect it comes a lot earlier than eating out, and is about being exposed to a range of foods from an early age but I wouldn't want to say it's solely down to that. There's always the chance for a Damascene conversion. I remember quite vividly an episode of Food & Drink (?) probably in the 80s in which a Geordie trucker was dined by one of the Rouxs and was utterly transformed by the experience. We'd probably all acknowledge that there's been a cultural shift in Britain regarding food since then, and there are probably a fair few factors driving this: would anyone else like to identify any others?

I think it’s the appreciation of the pursuit of perfection - rarely, if ever, attained. I would say that we all do it - just in different spheres. For example, did you hear the “ooohs” and “aaahs” in the ground when the replay of Izquierdo’s wonder strike was first played? Appreciation of perfection, and knowledge of how unlikely it is that the viewer could replicate it.

Foodies look for the same - just in a different field.

For me, it’s the combination of ingredient-selection, science (perfection in cooking technique), and art (design, and pushing the boundaries of what ingredients will work together). Much the same as with wine - quality of grapes, art and biochemistry.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
On the general point, you are of course correct, and I agree. However, I thought you were responding to my point about the average St John diner marking more harshly than the average Zizzi diner. If not, I withdraw the challenge.

Oh, I know you were making a specific point about restaurants and how to evaluate them, and who evaluates them. I don't often refuse an opportunity to stick my oar in, as you've probably worked out by now. I've got no problem with your other point either, and agree that it's about the pursuit of, rather than perfection itself.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Riddle & Finns - Brighton Seafront

So after a stunning win what better way to celebrate a night out, not spontaneous but pre-booked and been on the to-do list far to long.

Very nice settings so starters of Pan Fried Brighton Scallops with Chorizo & Chilli, I had Squid Sautéed with Chorizo & Chilli. These were simply divine, packed with flavour and well cooked, Chorizo and Squid was a classic combination.

Both had mains of Smoked Haddock Fillet, Colcannon, Poached Egg, Prosciutto & Champagne Sauce - stunning dish, really smooth and creamy - majestic.

Washed down with a bottle of Le Sentier.

Well with a visit in my view and will return at some point 9/10

Forgot to mention, service charge added so might annoy one person !

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Fans of black pudding are advised to head, post haste, to Necot in Kemp Town. The lovely scottish lady that runs the gaff imports in al the way from Bute and you can tell, it's astonishing stuff. Also had haggis as part of my breakfast which was a joy. Bacon okay, and eggs nicely cooked. To be recommended if you are out that way.

Others had mixed reports but they had stupid things like Eggs Royale which, in my mind at least, is a shit breakfast.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Riddle & Finns - Brighton Seafront

Both had mains of Smoked Haddock Fillet, Colcannon, Poached Egg, Prosciutto & Champagne Sauce - stunning dish, really smooth and creamy - majestic.

I agree that is a stunning dish and probably the best fish dish I've ever had. I had it at the Riddle and Finns in The Lanes. Great food but I'm not a fan of their seating there. Keep meaning to try the seafront one.

Forgot to mention, service charge added so might annoy one person !

I assume that's aimed at me. I just object to restaurants not including it in the cost of the food / drink to make their menus look artificially cheaper. With me they do it to their detriment as I don;t pay service changes. If it was rolled up into the cost of the food and drink I'd have no choice but to pay it.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Having a Mum who was a good cook, leaving home and eating average food, decided the only way I was going to get good grub was to cook it myself. Bought Delia Smiths book and taught myself, few Nigel Slater books and one by Fanny Craddock. Began to appreciate different foods. During eighties better restaurants opened up and combined with travel liked to try different foods and experiment outside my comfort zone.
Not a fan of high fancy dining, although appreciate the skill. In the past few years I have like the development of 'tasting menus'.
I like dining in Italy where you get a combination of good food and lack of prentension. Used to be a bit of a food snob but have realised over the years there are plenty of good honest restaurants that serve great food without the theatre that used to be expected. Don't have to pay a fortune for it e.g VIP in Brighton. Hate restaurants where the staff think they are superior to the diners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here