Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Should you be allowed to marry...........

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Don't give money to lawyers - it only encourages them.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I know people who met and married within 6 weeks, who are still together decades later, and others who courted for years, before marrying who then split up.

The courting for years then getting married and splitting up is not really a surprise I reckon as it's probably not really what one person really wants. I was with an ex girlfriend in England for 5 years, we had a house together etc, no real problems at all but the relationship was sleep walking towards marriage as that was the next progression. When it was seriously discussed I suddenly thought "do I actually really want to marry this girl?" decided I didn't and bolted leaving the poor girl heartbroken, she hadn't done anything wrong and she was nice n all that but just not THE ONE.

I was dating my wife for a year and a half before we married, I was 30 and she was 24 but 9 years plus a couple of kids later things are even better.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Should you be allowed to marry someone without first seeking legal advice and a pre-contract drawn up ?

Following on from another thread re; Divorce, it strikes me odd, that we are allowed to enter into a really binding contract while we are effectively 'drunk' on emotions.........only to find out years later as we ( not all...but a lot) sober up, that we are then bound by law to an often unequal tearing up of that contract.

If we buy a house, every nook and cranny legally is covered and takes months to conclude, but marriage......oh, go on luv....do it....just sign here and grab a couple of witnesses off the street. All done in 20 minutes. No background checks needed,

Thoughts ?

Conversely if you buy a house you generally aren’t allowed to try it out before you buy it. Swings and roundabouts. .

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
This is a very personal subject, hence it is very subjective. However for me it comes down to trust and self-determination. A) I don't need anyone giving me legal advice on something that is as complex as a relationship, which i wouldn't have even listened to anyway. B) Rather naively i am sure, if we were to divorce the finances, are not the aspect that i think i would be most concerned about.

Conor Oberst has a lyric that sums up my thoughts, "every insurance just magnifies the doubt"

Yes - that is naive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Rather naively i am sure, if we were to divorce the finances, are not the aspect that i think i would be most concerned about.

Naive isn’t the half of it.

I only discovered when it came to divorce just how nasty things can get when all you want is a fair settlement.

I had the kids used against me and my inheritance taken away with a refusal from the ex to actually sign a final financial settlement.

It has taken 15 years for my kids to finally understand that I was never the evil money grabbing tyrant their mother portrayed me as and I still have nothing of value to my name and a huge mortgage that won’t get paid off until I’m 70 while she still lives in the house with my equity in it. Because I have re-married without that signed financial settlement, there is no way I can ever get back what my parents worked so hard to provide for me.

Bitter? Me? Of course I am. I just got unlucky with my early choices in life, though. Looking back, some sort of pre-nup would have helped, though, as I already owned the house she moved into when we first got together. She came with nothing and took everything.

Thankfully, I can’t see it happening again and not just because I’ve no longer got anything that can be taken from me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here