Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now, who's our biggest threat?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Who cares. It's all about us.

Having said that, I remain of the view that the only teams with the quality of squad to threaten us are:

Newcastle
Villa
Derby
Norwich
Sheffield Wednesday

Check the table to see how much of a threat each of these currently poses.

If anyone else finishes above us then we need to have a good hard look. But they won't.

PG

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ourselves imploding.

And complacency.

And a striker injury.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ourselves imploding.

And complacency.

And a striker injury.

Yes that final one could be a worry. Take Murray out of the equation, and one wonders where the goals are going to come from.

January could be a crucial month, both in terms of results on the pitch, and in terms of recruitment.

larus

Villa are 17 points behind us......

It wont be that on the final day,that said its a huge mount to make up,if we slip up they might well be a threat in the play offs.

So, you think that Villa will have better form than us for the remaining 26 games? We're not playing that well at the moment (in comparison to before the last break), yet we're still unbeaten in 13 and beat Leeds comfortably (and they were in good form).

I do think that we could really challenge Newcastle for the title, which considering everything (money, crowds) is an astounding achievement.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Same points total as last season where we went on to take 3 points from the next 7 games. Shouldn't be hard to better that as Kayal, March & Rosenior attempt to get back in the starting line up. Newcastle are the only side to fear.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I agree with an earlier poster and Warren on the radio last night. If were happy to finish either first or second then the more games Newcastle and us win the better as some of those games are going to screw teams just below us.
Thus a Newcastle win later today is the best result even though we drop to second.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
So, you think that Villa will have better form than us for the remaining 26 games? We're not playing that well at the moment (in comparison to before the last break), yet we're still unbeaten in 13 and beat Leeds comfortably (and they were in good form).

I do think that we could really challenge Newcastle for the title, which considering everything (money, crowds) is an astounding achievement.

Well,let's put it this way,with Bruce they have only been beaten once,they will have spending power that we can only dream of,they will continue their upward form and if we fail to sign a striker and loose Murray as [MENTION=13683]Cowfold Seagull[/MENTION] has pointed out then all of a sudden things are less rosy,if they start to convert draws to wins it's plain to see,you cannot write them off as the dark horse.

larus

Well,let's put it this way,with Bruce they have only been beaten once,they will have spending power that we can only dream of,they will continue their upward form and if we fail to sign a striker and loose Murray as [MENTION=13683]Cowfold Seagull[/MENTION] has pointed out then all of a sudden things are less rosy,if they start to convert draws to wins it's plain to see,you cannot write them off as the dark horse.

I can see your point. I just think that we will be seriously looking at a decent striker in the January window. The rest of the team appears to have cover in depth. What gives me most confidence though is the meanness of the defence. Season of Goodwill to all men? I don't think Dunk and Duffy agree with that :)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'd be quite happy for Birmingham to take the 3pts today to be honest, without fearing them.

If it were Derby, Shef Wed or Norwich then i'd agree, as all 3 are much better equipped to mount a challenge.

Agreed.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I can see your point. I just think that we will be seriously looking at a decent striker in the January window. The rest of the team appears to have cover in depth. What gives me most confidence though is the meanness of the defence. Season of Goodwill to all men? I don't think Dunk and Duffy agree with that :)

:lol: it's going to be injuries at the sharp end that we will lose out,defensively we are there,i am happy for Hemed but we only have 3 forwards,we really do need a 4th...

The team is all but there,we are so very close...

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Not worried about anyone else. Just concentrate on our own performances.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Who cares. It's all about us.

Having said that, I remain of the view that the only teams with the quality of squad to threaten us are:

Newcastle
Villa
Derby
Norwich
Sheffield Wednesday

Check the table to see how much of a threat each of these currently poses.

If anyone else finishes above us then we need to have a good hard look. But they won't.

PG

I would include Fulham as well

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Derby are 13 points behind us ahead of today's game. With Schteeve in charge, they will have another "blip" or two. We're going to have to screw up big time for them to catch us.
I hear you, but I think point differences do change a lot through a season. In the 12 games we played up to the end of April, we got 30 points, while Hull got 16 points.

Of course if we keep going like we are, no one can stop us, but that's a very tough ask, so I'd like to be mentally prepared for a dodgy run.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
So the question could also be, if we go up do we have a Prem ready squad?

As was said on another thread by [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION], I'm not so sure that the quality of the Premier League is all that great at the moment. The top half dozen sides apart that is. There are some very average sides currently sitting in mid table.

I think we could hold our own, IF we were to get there of course!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here