Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
"Then we will repeat the last 40 years with the EU encouraging great influence again, us resisting, then giving in."......

That is [B[optimism[/B]? Wow!....................................

Well that depends on your opinion.

I was referring to their thought that after 10 years post Brexit the UK will be flourishing, whereas Mogg thinks we won’t notice the presumed benefits of Brexit for 50 years, let alone notice that we are flourishing!

I also think they are also being optimistic in saying that economically we will suffer for 2-3 years, more like 20 to 30. In fact I suspect a much more realistic yet still optimistic Brexit outcome would be if everything was a factor of ten out, i.e.:

“Economically we will suffer for 20 to 30 years, during that time new deals will be made some with the rest of world, some back with the EU who will also have felt some pain from the loss of sales, most notably Germany cars. Then we will start to recover and years 40 to 70 will see a better position. By year 100 I expect us to be flourishing.”

Here's hoping :lolol:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
In fact I suspect a much more realistic yet still optimistic Brexit outcome would be if everything was a factor of ten out, i.e.:

Like the remain camp have done with Project Fear you mean? :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
You described on that thread as well how brexit wouldnt happen to back up your stance?

May will negotiate the softest of soft Brexits, but won't go through with it without a referendum.

There will be a 3 way referendum - May's Soft Brexit, The no deal exit, and withdraw article 50.

33% Soft Brexit, 33% No deal, 34% withdraw article 50.

We'll stay in and everyone will be happy because it was done democratically ???

And you want to maintain you never had the position "brexit wont happen"
Do frack off

What position are you holding next week?

Because that post of mine about a 33/33/34 vote was entirely serious, wasn't it :facepalm:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
that has to be their biggest concern the domino effect .you can see it coming that's why the EU are trying the bully boy tactics to try and scare others into thinking again about leaving
regards
DR

There are no bully boy tactics, the EU's position was made 2 years ago, its clear.

The UK government just can't face reality, still wants to cherry pick and continues its endless civil war

Blue passports though, so much progress...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Here's a challenge for our Brexiteers. Aside from the rhetoric about getting back control, the will of the people, sovereignty etc (and I'm not denying these are important) what good things have come out of Brexit so far?

Think they will struggle with this one as much as the previous question about opportunities on trade after Brexit

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Economically we will suffer for 2-3 years, during that time new deals will be made some with the rest of world, some back with the EU who will also have felt some pain from the loss of sales, most notably Germany cars.

Then we will start to recover and years 4-7 will see a better position. By year 10 I expect us to be flourishing, I expect a new vote on possibly rejoining the EU as a customs agreement only, similar to when we went in last time, and I expect that the country will narrowly decide to do that on the basis that other sovereignty issues won't be given away as they were before.

Then we will repeat the last 40 years with the EU encouraging great influence again, us resisting, then giving in.

That said, the EU may well be weaker by then as said above, so we have a chance to retain what most of us voted for.

Good to see a Brexiteer at least trying to be specific and mapping out a narrative, including the short-term downside. But there are so many 'known unknowns' (trades deal with who? how long to set up? on what terms?) yet alone 'unknown unknowns' that this is just so much candyfloss, I'm afraid. But [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] has given us more than anyone else, including the architects of Leaving.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
A crisis in Turkey leading to uncertainty and fluctuation in value of currency. Failing to see the good news here.

The fall in the Turkish Lira is good news for those of no longer intending to holiday in the EU,but get in quick as holidays for next year going fast,bookings up 60%.Crimean holidays might be a good choice too,with the rouble on the slide.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Because that post of mine about a 33/33/34 vote was entirely serious, wasn't it :facepalm:

You must understand that Pasta regards himself as this thread's foremost forensic barrister - imagine Parnell McCarthy in Anatomy of a Murder - applying his brilliant brain to trip up hapless courtroom foes. His weapon of choice is Extreme Semantics: typos and generalities are seized on with joy. A sense of dour humourless pervades and woe betide anyone who exaggerates even a little (he may be advised on this by the 50-odd pro-Brexit Americans of his acquaintance).

He'd be a wow in the High Court apart from one problem. He would be thrown out after a few minutes because of an inability to avoid unpleasant name-calling and basic nastiness. Example of name-calling? Well if opinion polls are right he now regards millions and millions of his fellow-countrymen as undemocratic weasel loons. Or something. Examples of nastiness? Life's too short.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You must understand that Pasta regards himself as this thread's foremost forensic barrister - imagine Parnell McCarthy in Anatomy of a Murder - applying his brilliant brain to trip up hapless courtroom foes. His weapon of choice is Extreme Semantics: typos and generalities are seized on with joy. A sense of dour humourless pervades and woe betide anyone who exaggerates even a little (he may be advised on this by the 50-odd pro-Brexit Americans of his acquaintance).

He'd be a wow in the High Court apart from one problem. He would be thrown out after a few minutes because of an inability to avoid unpleasant name-calling and basic nastiness. Example of name-calling? Well if opinion polls are right he now regards millions and millions of his fellow-countrymen as undemocratic weasel loons. Or something. Examples of nastiness? Life's too short.

Nah just weasel ####s like you.
More yanks than 50 now since the last trip :thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It must be hard getting out of bed for you in the mornings. All this negativity.

Nonsense. I believe that when we are united and work towards a goal of raising everyone up, as in Turkey's bid for membership (let's help them sort themselves out and get them up to standard), then everybody benefits. That's my main beef with Brexit, we should be uniting not breaking up unions. So no, seeing a nation in crisis and it's subsequent effects on currency does not cheer me. But I suppose for some Leave voters if we can get a brief gain from another nation's problems that's alright Jack! An attitude I think does the world a great injustice. An attitude all to prevalent in many Brexiteers.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Nonsense. I believe that when we are united and work towards a goal of raising everyone up, as in Turkey's bid for membership (let's help them sort themselves out and get them up to standard), then everybody benefits. That's my main beef with Brexit, we should be uniting not breaking up unions. So no, seeing a nation in crisis and it's subsequent effects on currency does not cheer me. But I suppose for some Leave voters if we can get a brief gain from another nation's problems that's alright Jack! An attitude I think does the world a great injustice. An attitude all to prevalent in many Brexiteers.

So does that mean us Leave voters should or shouldn't support the Turkish economy by buying holidays there,supporting employment and helping with their problems?Or perhaps only people should go who refuse to take the extra Lira available and so have less to spend when they get there?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here