Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did the Serpentine 10k today and set a new PB at 51.04 (previously 52.10). Getting closer to me target for the year to dip under 50 minutes. It was a great event, a lovely route around Hyde Park, it was a bit cold but I soon warmed up!

https://www.strava.com/activities/817797384

So far I have signed up for three marathons for 2017, 19th March Limassol, 9th April Brighton and 16th December at Samphire Hoe which is a 6 hour event, but doing a marathon distance (I hope!) along with a few others to celebrate a mate hopefully reaching 100 marathons. My target for 2017 is to come home in under 4 hours 30 minutes.

View attachment 80676

Is the Dec 16th one a Saxons, Normans and Vikings job ?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bit of fun... work out where you ran to in distance as the crow flies last year...https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm

Me - Hove to Carcassonne or Turin.
Shoreham-by-Sea to Tangier...

I'll echo the comments about how great this thread is - really motivating and some great advice.

Having got a bit of a shock when 15st 3 flashed up on the scales this morning, the first aim is to lose some serious weight and sort my diet out. Too much crap been consumed over the festive period.

More marathons (possibly four or more), an ultra, parkruns and some new races I've not done before - that's the plan for this year. A return to the Weakest Link relay, sub-21 parkrun and more trails ate also in my plan.

Started Runuary this morning with two miles with Jnr Bobkin. Longer run without him tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
2017 hopefully will be aiming for distance (for me anyway as Half Marathon is my previous longest) with an attempt at a first marathon. Looking at the 3 forts.

Then I will be switching to triathlon for both Arundel triathlons and the Dartford Big Swim.

Training plan set out all the way to August. Should have the time for it now I am retired!

Managed half marathon distance today in a shade under 2 hours 30, which is bang on target.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
10 miles for me yesterday, 1hr 24min 20sec. Was a bit icy in patches but luckily it was still light, otherwise I am sure I would have fallen arse over tit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Headed up towards Cissbury Ring to take on my love/hate hill.

The main hill soon had my (new) shoes caked in what I assume is clay and it felt like I was ice skating uphill.

add32a6e74ba3c94b2e85d7466e22a8d.jpg

I then hit the main trail that runs between Cissbury and Chanctonbury which was waterlogged. It was all I could do to stay upright on the very side of the path at walking pace.

5c7730a94aa2b3f0088d9779feef3ab6.jpg

Anyway, I clearly need some trail shoes but some that will also be OK for the mile or two of road that I have either side of the trails. Any recommendations?

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Anyway, I clearly need some trail shoes but some that will also be OK for the mile or two of road that I have either side of the trails. Any recommendations?

Very interested in any response to this, as I have a similar problem when running over the Devil's Dyke and need to get a pair of trail shoes soon.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Headed up towards Cissbury Ring to take on my love/hate hill.

The main hill soon had my (new) shoes caked in what I assume is clay and it felt like I was ice skating uphill.

add32a6e74ba3c94b2e85d7466e22a8d.jpg

I then hit the main trail that runs between Cissbury and Chanctonbury which was waterlogged. It was all I could do to stay upright on the very side of the path at walking pace.

5c7730a94aa2b3f0088d9779feef3ab6.jpg

Very interested in any response to this, as I have a similar problem when running over the Devil's Dyke and need to get a pair of trail shoes soon.

Done quite a bit of running on the Downs in the winter, the surface on a lot of the chalky/clay tracks is a bloody nightmare after rain, very slippery. Some of the shoes advertised as 'trail' in the shops (often variants of popular road shoes with a slightly more cleated sole) just aren't sufficient (eg the popular Brooks GTS variant is the Cascadia, and on wet downland tracks it's USELESS)

Best I've found for grip have been the Inov8 range - roclites, terraclaws - the sole lugs just seem to grip whatever the surface, others worth looking include the Salomon range (eg speedcross, sense 5) which are similar in grip/design (but I find a lot narrower so don't suit me). If you polled any big group of trail runners you'd find these two makes highly represented. There are a massive range of shoes from both manufacturers to suit all types - with trail shoes, as they're used offroad and on softer ground, there is far less of a need to worry about 'pronation support' and all that other bolox because you're feet aren't constantly landing on the same areas like on the road. Any of the shoes will be fine for any roady bits as well - unless it's a significant % of your run there's no need to worry about it.

The difference is startling - I remember belting down the hill past Worthing Golf Club (back to Hill Barn rec) in my roclites at the end of a race, past some runners that were literally hanging on the fence to stop themselves falling over - smiling, because I'd done exactly the same myself the year before.

As always best option is to find a shop that sells a decent range and try a few out if you can as the fit will differ from shoe to shoe

https://www.inov-8.com/

http://www.salomon.com/uk/men/running-shoes

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another vote for Inov8 although for training runs I just put on the oldest road trainers and slip and slide in the mud. Would never wear new shoes in slime even if trail shoes. Too tight and precious.

For my Runuary I did a 4 hour walk with jogging sections today. Nice and wet, muddy, clay and slime but had walking boots. Went from Paradise Park, Newhaven up to Firle Beacon along the SDW for a few miles then down to Bishopstone and back to start. Beautiful weather.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
the more serious Bath half training started today with a 4 mile run out in the countryside.

anyone heading west to take part?
I've agreed in principle because a mate is running it, but I've not signed up.

My Runuary continues with 2.6 miles before school pick-up. Long run in the morning...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
4th January run today. 3 miles with an enforced 2" recovery at half time. Made me realise, as I huffed and puffed along, that I have only run over 3 miles once since July. Must remember to return slowly and gradually.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've binned my Bath half plans, largely because I've signed up for the Moyleman marathon which takes place the same day. Looks tough, but finishes at Harvey's brewery :drink:

Meanwhile, 5.5 miles of hills today. Good session.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here