Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scott Hogan

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why do people think that spending big on a player from the championship is the awnser, we got knocky for less that CMS!
Knocky is the exception, which is why you mention him. Proven goalscorers are more likely to score more, and they cost more.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You'll probably see that I've already said this, but Robbie Keane?
I politely ignored you :)

He was of course fantastic, but it's 9 years since he was doing well in the PL and he's 36 now. Have you seen him play much for LA? I haven't, so maybe I'm doing him a disservice. I can see he's still scoring goals, but I'm not sure he would in the Championship.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I politely ignored you :)

He was of course fantastic, but it's 9 years since he was doing well in the PL and he's 36 now. Have you seen him play much for LA? I haven't, so maybe I'm doing him a disservice. I can see he's still scoring goals, but I'm not sure he would in the Championship.
As everybody else is just repeating themselves ...

... Much to my surprise I'm in the Keanekopter, even though he epitomizes everything I'm against when talking about 'new' players, age, wage, ability, etc)
Yet he still ought to be better value than this mythical loanee, who we already know a few thinks about, the main one crucially being, he can't score goals.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Brentford might not let him go, but I think we would spend a fair old whack if we could get someone like him. We obviously tried to get Pratchard (for a large sum) and we could do so now without breaking FFP rules.

Brentford supporting mate reckons he's as good as gone at that money. Thinking they'll try and get Ollie Watkins from Exeter at £1.5M as a replacement. We were linked to him recently too but probably not ready for the job we need doing for the next half season

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Logically Robbie Keane could do a BZ type job for us even at 36 years old and perhaps do 30 mins sub or as a stand in for injuries or suspension. That would possibly be the nudge we need to get over the line.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well for starters if we had got Murray in last January then I believe we would have gone up.

Not saying that we didn't try to get him in - I have no idea whether we did or didn't.

My original point was not meant as a criticism, just a general point that we've never splashed the cash in January. TB is even on record as saying he's not keen on doing much business in January isn't he?

I was merely agreeing that we're not likely to spend the type of figure being suggested on here for Hogan, in January. Especially when we're stronger than ever now.

January business in the last four seasons

2016 - Knockaert, Skalak, Sidwell
2015 - Kayal
2014 - Stephens
2013 - Ulloa, Upson

Its not bad.....

In terms of amounts of money, Duffy is our record signing at 4m, followed by CMS, Buckley and Knockaert at 2.5, Ulloa at 2 - so thats two of our five highest fees paid in January, and Kayal / Stephens / Skalak fees remain undisclosed (anyone know how much these were?)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
January business in the last four seasons

2016 - Knockaert, Skalak, Sidwell
2015 - Kayal
2014 - Stephens
2013 - Ulloa, Upson

Its not bad.....

In terms of amounts of money, Duffy is our record signing at 4m, followed by CMS, Buckley and Knockaert at 2.5, Ulloa at 2 - so thats two of our five highest fees paid in January, and Kayal / Stephens / Skalak fees remain undisclosed (anyone know how much these were?)

I certainly thought Buckley cost a lot less than that figure (if £2.5m is what you meant): you may be confusing what we sold him for with the amount we bought him for. If this is the case, it only reinforces your broader point.
As regards costs of those signings, it's not entirely clear as they were undisclosed, but most seem to think they were in the region of:
Kayal £0.4m
Stephens £0.6m
Skalak £1.5m

Stumpy Tim

I certainly thought Buckley cost a lot less than that figure (if £2.5m is what you meant): you may be confusing what we sold him for with the amount we bought him for. If this is the case, it only reinforces your broader point.
As regards costs of those signings, it's not entirely clear as they were undisclosed, but most seem to think they were in the region of:
Kayal £0.4m
Stephens £0.6m
Skalak £1.5m

Buckley was £1m & I believe was our first £1m signing. Closely followed a few weeks later by CMS (sigh)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Kayal £0.4m
Stephens £0.6m
Skalak £1.5m

Thanks, yes my mistake. so thats:

Duffy 4
CMS 2.5
Knockaert 2.5
Ulloa 2
Skalak 1.5
Buckley 1
Hemed 1

any more million pound players? Norwood must have cost 1m+.

Three of our top 5 transfer fees in the January window

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thanks, yes my mistake. so thats:

Duffy 4
CMS 2.5
Knockaert 2.5
Ulloa 2
Skalak 1.5
Buckley 1
Hemed 1

any more million pound players? Norwood must have cost 1m+.

Three of our top 5 transfer fees in the January window

I'm sure Duffy was more like 3 - 4 with add ons. There was an apparent quote from his dad from somewhere 3.5 or something possibly?

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
It's an outstanding hit rate, especially since Hughton's been in charge. How much was Kayal? Sorry if earlier in thread.... playing with new tablet....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here