Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tram derailed in Croydon

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ridiculous. Why have you even gone there with that comment?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I suspect you haven't followed the whole conversation . . .

Perfectly reasonably to me for a public emoting wrt a Palace fan's unseemly death (given our connection), and perfectly fair for me to be annoyed that someone can be sniffy about this and yet is most likely someone who gets all referential about the dead of 1939-45. Hence my sarcasm.

Personally I am not specially exercised about the former, but I was not impressed with the sneery attude wrt 'minute clapping' etc. How much does it cost, FFS?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007

Perfectly reasonably to me for a public emoting wrt a Palace fan's unseemly death (given our connection), and perfectly fair for me to be annoyed that someone can be sniffy about this and yet is most likely someone who gets all referential about the dead of 1939-45. Hence my sarcasm.

Personally I am not specially exercised about the former, but I was not impressed with the sneery attude wrt 'minute clapping' etc. How much does it cost, FFS?

lol wtf are u rattling on about? A minutes silence for Poppy day and the rememberence of our heros in WW2 cannot be compared to a tram crash in Croydon. If we had a minute silence for every bad/tragic thing that happened in the UK every week I doubt there would be much time for football... That aside, RIP to those that died and thoughts with the families and hope everyone who was injured makes a full recovery!

Last edited:

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011

Er, yeah I had followed it in whole and found your comment to be a tad disrespectful.......even if it was meant to be sarcasm.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Disturbing report in last night's Evening Standard online quoting somebody's Facebook page describing an apparent near-miss at the same spot a week earlier

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-in-same-spot-a-week-previously-a3392941.html

Yes that is extremely worrying. There often seems among public transport drivers an element of competition, even among train drivers as to who can go fastest over a particular stretch of route.

In 1906 a boat train from Plymouth derailed travelling at high speed non-stop through Salisbury with appalling loss of life, the driver later admitted that there was a bet amongst drivers as to how fast a train could go through the curved platform there.

Even on bus services like the 12 between Brighton and Eastbourne, I have been on buses where the drivers in my view have gone far too fast on the country stretches East of Seaford.I don't know whether they are fitted with a "governer" to curtail top speeds, but even 40 mph on some stretches would be dangerous.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Even on bus services like the 12 between Brighton and Eastbourne, I have been on buses where the drivers in my view have gone far too fast on the country stretches East of Seaford.I don't know whether they are fitted with a "governer" to curtail top speeds, but even 40 mph on some stretches would be dangerous.

When I was living in Hampden Park catching the late bus back from Brighton was very hairy in the dark. It was like a roller-coaster and Obe felt drained getting off near Eastbourne station.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In 1906 a boat train from Plymouth derailed travelling at high speed non-stop through Salisbury with appalling loss of life, the driver later admitted that there was a bet amongst drivers as to how fast a train could go through the curved platform there.

Sauce? It'll need to be a very convincing one, given that both driver Robinson and his fireman were killed in the crash.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Nothing in that to support Danny-Boys claim that "the driver later admitted that there was a bet amongst drivers as to how fast a train could go through the curved platform there". The driver and firemen were among the 28 dead.

My memory of events 110 years ago can be faulty, I didn't check on Wiki. Let's just say that "LSWR Drivers later admitted.." which would be pretty close to the truth.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My memory of events 110 years ago can be faulty, I didn't check on Wiki. Let's just say that "LSWR Drivers later admitted.." which would be pretty close to the truth.
I'd still like to know your sauce. Your version is at odds with the accounts of O.S.Nock and L.T.C.Rolt, both acknowledged experts on the subject. The ideas that it was a common practice, that bets were involved, or bribery from passengers were investigated at the time, and all were de-bunked in the official Board of Trade enquiry by the Inspector of Accidents, Major Pringle - well known to be a very competent and thorough investigator.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Er, yeah I had followed it in whole and found your comment to be a tad disrespectful.......even if it was meant to be sarcasm.

I'm sorry you feel that way. All I can do is reiterate that my comment was directed at someone's sneery attitude and has nothing whatsoever to do with the Remembrance. Likewise to [MENTION=9385]Arundel_Seagull[/MENTION], I am not advocating a minute's silence for this or anything (a mention and 15 second's applause in this instance might have sufficed, albeit by the time we play Villa it may be too distant in the past to warrant event that). No, it was the sneery attitude that prompted my, yes sarcastic, reply. A slightly annoying (to me) post with a slightly annoyed sarky reply. That's all. To anyone who thinks I think we should have a long sequence of minute silences for every tragedy then I salute you child-like credulity, and hope to meet you so I can persuade you to invest in a madcap money-making scheme of mine . . . .:wave:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I'd still like to know your sauce. Your version is at odds with the accounts of O.S.Nock and L.T.C.Rolt, both acknowledged experts on the subject. The ideas that it was a common practice, that bets were involved, or bribery from passengers were investigated at the time, and all were de-bunked in the official Board of Trade enquiry by the Inspector of Accidents, Major Pringle - well known to be a very competent and thorough investigator.

A Board of Trade Inquiry which didn't find out the whole truth or covered up facts which would have shaken passenger confidence into services run by private train operators?

Sounds almost like the position today. Did you know Major Pringle?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here