Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] You Are At Queue Position . . . .

el punal

As I’ve recently retired I thought I’d broaden my horizons on the activity front, so I decided to apply to my local council for an allotment plot. As per with everything these days the application had to be done on-line. No problem, went on the site and selected my allotment venues of choice.

The information came back that no plots were available but would I like to be added to the waiting list. I advised that I wished to. Yesterday I received an email informing me that I was at position 120th on the waiting list for Bitterne West allotments and 115th for Bitterne East!

So, boys and girls, don’t expect a selection of curly kale, broccoli or King Edwards any time soon.:tantrum:

P.S. Before anyone else posts it - “Cool story bro!” :drink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
£5 on Bitterne West please.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If you dont mind doing a bit of Gardening, have you though about offering out at a local club as a part time groundsman? Im sure plenty of clubs would appreciate the help.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You could always try politics instead. I hear they're not too picky about who they choose to run in local elections these days.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
As I’ve recently retired I thought I’d broaden my horizons on the activity front, so I decided to apply to my local council for an allotment plot. As per with everything these days the application had to be done on-line. No problem, went on the site and selected my allotment venues of choice.

The information came back that no plots were available but would I like to be added to the waiting list. I advised that I wished to. Yesterday I received an email informing me that I was at position 120th on the waiting list for Bitterne West allotments and 115th for Bitterne East!

So, boys and girls, don’t expect a selection of curly kale, broccoli or King Edwards any time soon.:tantrum:

Is it possible that the same hundred or so people are on both waiting lists, so that effectively you’ve only got to wait for 50 or so plots to become available at each location? Assuming of course that people aren’t allowed to have more than one allotment.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

The waiting lists are managed centrally, but depending on the allotment, plot allocations are sometimes done on site. The people that manage plot allocations often struggle to get through to people on the list - so it really does pay topop down and introduce yourself. Even - dare I say it - make a busy body of yourself to keep on checking to see whether any plots are available. I've found that you will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce your time on the list as they are keener to allocate to people who seem 'keen'.

Happy grubbing. We had to give ours up soon after our daughter was born but will be back in the act when she's older.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The waiting lists are managed centrally, but depending on the allotment, plot allocations are sometimes done on site. The people that manage plot allocations often struggle to get through to people on the list - so it really does pay topop down and introduce yourself. Even - dare I say it - make a busy body of yourself to keep on checking to see whether any plots are available. I've found that you will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce your time on the list as they are keener to allocate to people who seem 'keen'.

Happy grubbing. We had to give ours up soon after our daughter was born but will be back in the act when she's older.

Totally agree with this.
The more you make a nuisance of yourself, to show real interest, it should reap rewards.
If there is someone you know, who is struggling on a certain plot, offer to take on half of it, paying them half of the rent.
Up here people do jump the queues, depending of their situation.

Through MIND (the mental health charity), of a certain age and other health reasons.

Good luck [MENTION=25353]el punal[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

I was about to post similar. I was offered half an allotment recently as a friend can't manage theirs, but I don't have the time unfortunately

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Totally agree with this.
The more you make a nuisance of yourself, to show real interest, it should reap rewards.
If there is someone you know, who is struggling on a certain plot, offer to take on half of it, paying them half of the rent.
Up here people do jump the queues, depending of their situation.

Through MIND (the mental health charity), of a certain age and other health reasons.

Good luck [MENTION=25353]el punal[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

A good pal of mine has one near the Milbrook Tescos. He was in a similar position, queue-wise, but it moved quickly. Might be worth looking in other local areas like Woolston and Sholing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here