Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Excited and worried by transfers

Feb 14, 2010
If the club is to start to go back to the late 70's and even try to start to reach its potential then it cannot just rely on its large support. With the playing side (for once) doing its part then this club can start to achieve and the club might start to be what it should be, a top flight club, looking to win the odd cup. If that happens however, then they will need to expand the ground, as a club that gets 30,000 for a Championship bottom of the table game against Fulham will need a much larger capacity for a half decent side in the top flight.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not worried about over spending, Bloom and Barber obviously know their figures. Kinda disappointed this spree wasn't done when Oscar was the manager though .
Or last season when instead we paid through the nose to watch a bunch of loanees, freebies and cheapskates.

It's not as if any extra money has come in, this Summer.
Perhaps Bloom/Barber wanted their manager to see what team they had, and also learn the division before they were given a shed load to spend. Given how it turned out for Sami, do we really wish he had been given millions to spend, which could now mean we're stuck with too many players on high wages?

Oscar got us to the playoffs with what he had, and I'm sure he'd have been given plenty to spend had he stayed. Hughton has had months to assess the players before this summer's spending spree.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And your sure about that are you…
Well other than staying up bonuses and not having to pay any goal and win bonuses, from last season yeah I think we can be pretty sure.

The club only had one asset left to sell, and committed to pooh loads of extra cash to him, instead of trading in.

I do have to admit my hearts not really in it, t'is just a bit of summer devil's advocate.
The original thread had more than a hint of fishing about it, although as with all good fishing trips there were elements of truth.

Had I not been so adamantly informed by Pravda that the 2 budgets would be comparable, with just year on year increases, once 'everything else' was taken into account, I'd have given up weeks ago.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am surprised there haven't been more threads like this, given all the comments last summer and before with people talking about how great it was we weren't out paying massive fees to compete leaving us with expensive players.

I think it is something that we need to keep aware of, not in any sense that we can control what the club do with their budget, but more when we criticise other clubs for their spending.

One thing I have noticed since Burke has gone is that we seem to be signing players to longer contracts. I imagine part of that is perhaps more confidence in talent spotting, but the other side of that is instead of spreading, say, 1.5m over a two year contract, we can spread it over three or four, giving us more money to play with in the budget.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I have complete and utter faith in Bloom and I think the OP needs to also. I don't think we're over stretching in the slightest.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
One thing I have noticed since Burke has gone is that we seem to be signing players to longer contracts. I imagine part of that is perhaps more confidence in talent spotting, but the other side of that is instead of spreading, say, 1.5m over a two year contract, we can spread it over three or four, giving us more money to play with in the budget.

I think that's a big point. Derby have also done this. It also increases their re-sale value of course.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
55da13c77942b026d7d6fe27d259ea69_zps9jqkpgkk.jpg

that reminds me of something...

attachment.php

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here