Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Excited and worried by transfers

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I think Tony would have taken some lessons from the Van Dyke saga.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imagine winning every game 2-0 and all 11 players scoring 8/10

scream_3.jpg

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I've been waiting a long time to see us sign quality youngsters with pace and at long last we are signing talent that will become big assets hopefully.

Very good recruitment this season :)

For the first time in a while you've actually got one thing you've been craving, pace, pace and more pace. Happy days eh, Pete :thumbsup:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
It's not a gamble, we need to get bums backs on seats and play in front of a full house. Increased ticket sales will cover the wages and the sales of Ulloa, Buckley and Bridcutt will cover the purchases of the new players.

Also these players are young and will have a resale value.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Or last season when instead we paid through the nose to watch a bunch of loanees, freebies and cheapskates.

It's not as if any extra money has come in, this Summer.

You say cheap but in Baldock, ogrady and colunga a few million was spent. A fortune compared to what Oscar spent.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You say cheap but in Baldock, ogrady and colunga a few million was spent. A fortune compared to what Oscar spent.

Yes but Oscar didn't have well over £15m in the bank from the sale of assets.

The club bought knocked down goods, while counting it's profit and patting itself on the back.
That well and truly bit it on the arse.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

The club bought knocked down goods, while counting it's profit and patting itself on the back.
That well and truly bit it on the arse

Whilst I don't disagree, lets move on. I dread to think what Burke would have spent this cash on, so I'm glad Tony kept his money in his pocket until this season.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

That well and truly bit it on the arse.
While I agree, can't we just enjoy spending money on good players rather than keep looking back at previous failures?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
While I agree, can't we just enjoy spending money on good players rather than keep looking back at previous failures?

As I originally posted on this thread:-

'I worry about us moving away from the core values of The Albion'. :lolol:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whilst I don't disagree, lets move on. I dread to think what Burke would have spent this cash on, so I'm glad Tony kept his money in his pocket until this season.
I got hammered for suggesting Burke might have had half a chance if he was given a decent amount of money to spend.

Clearly this summers budget far outweighs last summers even though very little money has come in.

Sure DB could have right royally screwed up, but it's not fair to compare the 2 summer transfer activities when there's so many millions of pounds different in outlay.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
There is no risk whatsoever, if it doesn't go to plan we just sell dunk for 6 mill next summer .Its a gamble worth taking

It is that ambition by signing these players which ,I think ,has kept Dunk here .

Feb 14, 2010
Brighton have the biggest gates in the division (even last season despite 4th from bottom we were up there). With a support like that, then we should expect a side to match. The old third division south days of a large support but with a 3rd rate team just doesn't wash anymore. Parachute payments obviously a problem for us but with larger revenues than most clubs in this division, year in, year out, plus a quality chairman, then we should start to hope that we might build a side to start to match the support. When that happens we will be top half of the top flight. There is still a long way to go.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I got hammered for suggesting Burke might have had half a chance if he was given a decent amount of money to spend.

Clearly this summers budget far outweighs last summers even though very little money has come in.

Sure DB could have right royally screwed up, but it's not fair to compare the 2 summer transfer activities when there's so many millions of pounds different in outlay.

But still you do, over and over again. The FFP limits have changed substantially - we have potentially 7m more this season than last from that alone. The club did NOT do things on the cheap last season, they just had a much smaller budget and what they did spend was spent on what turned out to be duds. It happens.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

I think the difference in spend is to do with confidence in the set up. A small comparison, for virtually the same fee last season Burke signed O'Grady, where's the new team signed Kayal. 90%+ of Burke's signings were quite simply not good enough, he was rightfully binned imo.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
As mentioned above the bigger gamble would be to muddle along as we did last season signing loan players and cut price flops and end up flirting with relegation again (or worse). Numbers would go down, income from all sources would fall and we'd struggle to turn it round as decent players would be less likely to join / stay in the future.

With the money we've received from transfers, the sensible way that TB and PB run the club (and bearing in mind what I've just written) these signings seem the opposite of a gamble to me.

And I'm very excited about it all. :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here