Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Fat Tax

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Clearly the 4 part BBC 1 series at 21:00 hrs on Wednesdats about the UK and obesity is a clear myth

It's an entertainment programme. How many consultant dieticians take part in it? It uses generalisations which don't apply to everyone.
Someone who is a nurse, and goes to the Albion tried taking the mickey in the pub, but couldn't believe my O/H resting heart rate. He doesn't have any blood pressure or diabetes problems either.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It's an entertainment programme. How many consultant dieticians take part in it? It uses generalisations which don't apply to everyone.
Someone who is a nurse, and goes to the Albion tried taking the mickey in the pub, but couldn't believe my O/H resting heart rate. He doesn't have any blood pressure or diabetes problems either.

If it is entertainment why are people in Newcastle getting involved in weight loss ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If it is entertainment why are people in Newcastle getting involved in weight loss ?

Why don't you email the BBC to ask the producer? These people will have been selected with their doctor's permission.
The BBC want success stories for their series, so they aren't going to show those who have pre-existing conditions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What does this mean? The fat just found people and grabbed on? Apparently there are glandular issues for something like 0.4% of obese people.

Bulldogs and greyhounds. Naturally big people like Serena or Venus Williams, professional sports players or tiny people like Kylie Minogue, naturally slim.

Nobody has answered my question. Should girls who are 6 feet tall pay more for their clothes than those in the Petite range?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Being large is not necessarily down to fat. Sorry to spoil everyone's sense of smugness.

Being fat is down to being fat. What do you mean by large? Someone mentioned a rugby player- again, that would've likely been a choice to become bigger, bench pressing, weights etc, so not "naturally" large.

No smugness at all, I'm fairly large myself.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Bulldogs and greyhounds. Naturally big people like Serena or Venus Williams, professional sports players or tiny people like Kylie Minogue, naturally slim.

Nobody has answered my question. Should girls who are 6 feet tall pay more for their clothes than those in the Petite range?

And am I and my family entitled to a rebate for when I've been underweight for my height?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Kylie Minogue no doubt has a strict fitness regimen. Jennifer Aniston does 3 hours in the gym every morning, supposedly.

Venus and Serena Williams have been top athletes for many many years. Their bodies will have been entirely sculpted by again no doubt a strict fitness and diet regimen.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Being fat is down to being fat. What do you mean by large? Someone mentioned a rugby player- again, that would've likely been a choice to become bigger, bench pressing, weights etc, so not "naturally" large.

Obesity through overeating is NOT the same as someone looking at another person and judging them as 'fat', because they appear to be overweight to your personal opinion.

This isn't a personal cause, but if it were I'd be even more vociferous. I am absolutely disgusted by the comments of some people on here tonight.

In fact, so much so that I could easily with little effort make a much stronger argument for your prejudices than you could. You don't even know why you feel hate towards the demographic you perceive as inferior to you. But I'm not being paid to do that - I charge by the hour - and frankly, I wouldn't have the heart to write stuff I don't believe in anyway.

I truly, earnestly pity anybody who looks at someone and makes a snap judgement as to their character, habits or wellbeing based on nothing but physical appearance or social standing. How desperately conceited and narrow-minded you must be. Judging someone as being lazy, or eating too much, or not conforming to your ideals in physical appearance is as ill-judged as it is reciprocated.

My girlfriend is from Canada - I suppose she'd 'talk funny' to some people's ears. I have some Mauritian and Iraqi ancestry, that makes me "foreign" no doubt, using the same yardstick. All this from fans of one of the football clubs in the country who suffer the most typical, boring and malicious prejudice in the country.

This has been a truly shameful episode for NSC.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I like this game my resting HR averages 43 but I can get 39 now and again.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Kylie Minogue no doubt has a strict fitness regimen. Jennifer Aniston does 3 hours in the gym every morning, supposedly.

Venus and Serena Williams have been top athletes for many many years. Their bodies will have been entirely sculpted by again no doubt a strict fitness and diet regimen.

Yes, my husband was a rugby union player until he had a motorbike accident and ruptured his cruciate ligament. His arms, and shoulders have never returned to a 'natural size'

You might just as well say, why do people grow to 6 foot and others only 5' 6"?
Why are some babies 5lb at full term and others over 10lb?

We are not all slotted into pigeonholes. We don't eat pies etc so that isn't the cause, and he may only have two or three pints a week (at football) and nothing at all when we don't go.
He does cycle miles, and is this very moment, at the gym.

Any other medical advice you feel qualified to give?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Obesity through overeating is NOT the same as someone looking at another person and judging them as 'fat', because they appear to be overweight to your personal opinion.

This isn't a personal cause, but if it were I'd be even more vociferous. I am absolutely disgusted by the comments of some people on here tonight.

In fact, so much so that I could easily with little effort make a much stronger argument for your prejudices than you could. You don't even know why you feel hate towards the demographic you perceive as inferior to you. But I'm not being paid to do that - I charge by the hour - and frankly, I wouldn't have the heart to write stuff I don't believe in anyway.

I truly, earnestly pity anybody who looks at someone and makes a snap judgement as to their character, habits or wellbeing based on nothing but physical appearance or social standing. How desperately conceited and narrow-minded you must be. Judging someone as being lazy, or eating too much, or not conforming to your ideals in physical appearance is as ill-judged as it is reciprocated.

My girlfriend is from Canada - I suppose she'd 'talk funny' to some people's ears. I have some Mauritian and Iraqi ancestry, that makes me "foreign" no doubt, using the same yardstick. All this from fans of one of the football clubs in the country who suffer the most typical, boring and malicious prejudice in the country.

This has been a truly shameful episode for NSC.

Well said. It's down to smugness, because the posters don't consider themselves to be fat.

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
Interesting thread.

The issue of obesity is an interesting one. On one side of the argument are those that believe it's fine to be fat - that fat shaming is wrong - and that discrimination against fat people should be considered as abhorrent as any other.

On the other side is the belief that obese people are mostly lazy or selfish - they are drains on the NHS - their lifestyle choices are a burden on themselves and on society; they need more self control - fat shaming is okay as becoming obese is morally wrong.

Then of course there are people who are overweight directly or indirectly through a medical problem - I hope we can all agree that these people don't deserve discrimination; in terms of societal or financial. Perhaps they need more support in the form of government subsidies if XXL clothing really is excessively expensive for them.

The problem however are those who are overweight because they live sedentary lifestyles and/or have a far too high calorie intake (and usually have done for a lifetime) - in other words, a majority of the obese. Why should businesses subsidise them? Why should the NHS carry their burden? Becoming and remaining obese in this way is down to laziness, apathy or greed - more needs to be done to stop people living like this, in form of increased taxation or otherwise. Businesses and the rest of society certainly shouldn't be made to subsidise them because they are essentially refusing to lose weight.

Whilst others have got OTT in my view, I find the above a fair and balanced perspective which I entirely agree with.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
How do you get a fat girl into bed?

I tell you. It’s a piece of cake!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Interesting thread.

The issue of obesity is an interesting one. On one side of the argument are those that believe it's fine to be fat - that fat shaming is wrong - and that discrimination against fat people should be considered as abhorrent as any other.

On the other side is the belief that obese people are mostly lazy or selfish - they are drains on the NHS - their lifestyle choices are a burden on themselves and on society; they need more self control - fat shaming is okay as becoming obese is morally wrong.

Then of course there are people who are overweight directly or indirectly through a medical problem - I hope we can all agree that these people don't deserve discrimination; in terms of societal or financial. Perhaps they need more support in the form of government subsidies if XXL clothing really is excessively expensive for them.

The problem however are those who are overweight because they live sedentary lifestyles and/or have a far too high calorie intake (and usually have done for a lifetime) - in other words, a majority of the obese. Why should businesses subsidise them? Why should the NHS carry their burden? Becoming and remaining obese in this way is down to laziness, apathy or greed - more needs to be done to stop people living like this, in form of increased taxation or otherwise. Businesses and the rest of society certainly shouldn't be made to subsidise them because they are essentially refusing to lose weight.

The issue with this is directly the public opinion and stigmatisation. We've seen this a lot with disabled people being questioned by the public over their use of a blue badge, because they 'seem fine'. Is it up to the disabled person in this case to justify the whys and wherefores of their disability?

Who has the right to say XYZ bloke has had 'too many pies and is a drain on national resources'? An anonymous fool on an internet forum?

The example you used re: the NHS is entirely appropriate. Alcohol, of course, an enormous drain on the NHS, costs/earns the country billions of pounds of turnover - as do the taxes paid by people offering fast food/cookies/soda bought and consumed by the British public.

My issue isn't about an obesity epidemic, it's the offensive blanket stereotyping of all 'fat' people as being greedy. It shows a severe lack of taste, education and moral acumen.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Interesting thread.

So do you think girls who are 6 foot tall should pay more for their clothes than girls who are only 5 foot?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Possibly not, but we are a long way from living in a society which subsidises businesses for these kinds of expenses. A 6 foot woman simply has increased demands when it comes to fabric and labour required. At the same time a five foot, large breasted woman spends considerably more on a bra than a 6 foot, flat chested woman. It's the genetic lottery which means people have different demands, often resulting in increased expense passed on from greater manufacturing costs to meet their requirements.

For me it's a non-issue anyway, as clothes are so cheap these days despite this.

Bras do not cost more depending on the size.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here