Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Aussie Cheats!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Sport is at its cultural heart. The Ozzies like to play hard, but play fair

The main emotions I have noted are disbelief and extreme anger at those responsible.

Like you say they take shit seriously but have a strong belief in where the line is. No one I have spoken to has defended Smith, everyone agrees that this is not on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cricket Australia will have to act over this given the public outcry in Australia. Wouldn't expect Smith to Captain Australia again for a very long time, if at all and he'll get a lengthy ban, along with Warner and possibly a few others. Will be interesting to see if Lehman knew anything about it - if he did, he'll also be toast. Early indications seem to point to it being 'senior players' rather than the coaching staff though. The senior bowlers have to be involved as well. Talk in Oz is also of major sponsors (team and personal) potentially withdrawing their support (cash).

This is worth a read to understand the impact down under

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-...warner-face-high-price-ball-tampering/9588038

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-25/how-will-australian-cricket-restore-its-reputation/9584862

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Got an email earlier today from my Aussie mate who lives for cricket and spends a very large part of his life watching it. He says 'I can hardly believe the stupidity of it all and have no sympathy for them.' Heroes to zeroes overnight.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Cricket Australia will have to act over this given the public outcry in Australia. Wouldn't expect Smith to Captain Australia again for a very long time, if at all and he'll get a lengthy ban, along with Warner and possibly a few others. Will be interesting to see if Lehman knew anything about it - if he did, he'll also be toast. Early indications seem to point to it being 'senior players' rather than the coaching staff though. The senior bowlers have to be involved as well.

I'm not having this for a second. Seriously, we've all seen the footage of Lehmann's reaction, to the cameras catching Bancroft at it. It may or may not have been HIS plan, but there is not a chance that he was not aware of what was going on.

Stumpy Tim

I'm not having this for a second. Seriously, we've all seen the footage of Lehmann's reaction, to the cameras catching Bancroft at it. It may or may not have been HIS plan, but there is not a chance that he was not aware of what was going on.

And he's fostered that culture where it's deemed ok to ask an 8 test rookie to cheat.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agreed - seems like Smith is trying to protect him in the knowledge that he himself is already ****ed. I would guess that every single member of the team and coaching staff knew about it.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

Absolutely this. The look of horror on Lehmanns face as he near on shit himself when he saw the big screen. Next, straight on the radio to the 12th man to give heads up to Bancroft. No way am I buying into that rubbish that Lehmann was oblivious to what was going on.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Whatever sanctions CA decide to impose, the one match ban for Smith and no ban at all for Bancroft does demonstrate how weak and pathetic the ICC is. It is hardly "fit for purpose" is it?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Whatever sanctions CA decide to impose, the one match ban for Smith and no ban at all for Bancroft does demonstrate how weak and pathetic the ICC is. It is hardly "fit for purpose" is it?

The problem is that the ICC treated du Plessis too leniently (which is why SA aren't making too much of a hoo-hah about this). Having given SA a slap on the wrist, they're going to do the same with Smith.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Its the homo-erotic thing with the butch Aussie lads in the little vests, based on GAA / Gaelic football.
Seriously... it is sooo much better than egg chasing, sheild cricket or the local A-Leagie.

It took me a couple of years to get into it, but now it fills the non football part of the year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

The problem is that the ICC treated du Plessis too leniently (which is why SA aren't making too much of a hoo-hah about this). Having given SA a slap on the wrist, they're going to do the same with Smith.

The problem isn't that the ICC chose to be lenient with Du Plessis or Smith / Bancroft, it's more that their own rules / laws only allow for this level of punishment. It's up to CA to impose something more appropriate.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Completely innocent. He's already explained he prefers sugar to energy drinks/gels. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

And to deliver that he pours it directly into his pocket for later use? Surely after a very short period of time that would simple become just a sticky mess? How would he eat that? Also, he's need a LOT to replace the sugary / energy drinks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here