Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wenger leaving Arsenal at end of season

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
This was very much expected as around the time that we beat them the press were saying they had lined up Julian Naggelsman of 1899 Hogffenheim to take over in time for next season....
If that's the case it appears that one of Arsenal's main criteria for any manegerial candidate is that you can almost spell out the name of the club by using letters from their manager's name, a bit like Countdown. Arsene Wenger was only missing the second A and the L, whereas Naggelsman goes one better as he is only missing the letter R. So it would certainly be a step up from Wenger in that respect. They may even still be searching for a candidate whose name contains all seven letters for the full house.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Wonder if he'll fancy a pop at being manager of France. Deschamps is contracted till 2020, but if they have a minging World Cup, an opportunity could arise maybe.

Or even England, when Southgate is shown the door, after our dismal showing in Russia in June, there is bound to be a vacancy. He has said in an interview before that he wouldn't be averse to managing our national side.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
If that's the case it appears that one of Arsenal's main criteria for any manegerial candidate is that you can almost spell out the name of the club by using letters from their manager's name, a bit like Countdown. Arsene Wenger was only missing the second A and the L, whereas Naggelsman goes one better as he is only missing the letter R. So it would certainly be a step up from Wenger in that respect. They may even still be searching for a candidate whose name contains all seven letters for the full house.

So it won't be Klopp then.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Did anyone see Wenger's departure coming? I doubt he did.

Anyway, thank Christ for that. I'm tired of reading about the Wenger saga. Perhaps now Arsenal's appallingly fickle support can remeber the man who made their club what they are. It's turned to shìt recently of course, but even in the last 3 or 4 years they've won trophies. Over the years he has won titles and cups and his success allowed them to build a stadium that dwarfed their London rivals for years.

And the rest of us should probably be thankful to him as well. He revolutionised the way players trained, thought about their diets, he brought in quality players from abroad, and if he hadn't been there we'd have had to put up with Man Utd winning EVERYTHING for years and years. (It's bad enough that they were as dominant as they were even with Arsenal competing against them).

I guess all things are relative but wouldn't mind some of their 'shit'.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Joey Barton, unbeaten at Fleetwood

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd love it if it was Pardew. It'd be one of the most hilarious things I can remember in recent football times.

There aren't many things in life that l can say with any certainly, but this is one of them . . . it won't be.

Alan S Pardew...

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014

So Alan Pardew is back in the frame - only missing an S.

Edit HKFC beat me to it with the extra info that his middle name is Scott. Nailed on surely.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Russians owe us a favour. Maybe we could ask them to Novichok Southgate so we can appoint Wenger in time for the World Cup?

I'm finding it difficult to summon up any enthusiasm for the event but that would certainly add some spice and - in my opinion - improve our chances of progressing in the tournament.

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
So that's the real reason why Mick McCarthy left Ipswich early. He'd shoe-in nicely ��

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The short term upside for us (just in case we need it) is that Wenger's last league match in charge will be v Huddersfield - hopefully that will focus the Arsenal team's mind on giving him a decent send-off (ps: they also play West Ham next.....so likewise hope lots of good cheer from the home fans, and the team taking a bit more of an interest than the last few matches.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Palace aside I can't think of a more annoying fanbase than Arsenal fans, a horrible mix of hooray henry's and Ali G wannabes.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Viera..with Assistant Director of Football Monsuier Arsenal Wangler.

Viera is doing a good job here with NYCFC who are comfortably top of the Eastern Conference, but there's a big gap between MLS and Premier League football - assistant maybe

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here