Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Chess Club

Pickles

May 5, 2014
:bigwave:

hey hey, I'm back today a week longer than expected away, but all good thanks for the messages, have a zillion things things to catch up over tonight and tomorrow (expect I'll nip on here)
[MENTION=29364]Pickles[/MENTION], fantastic work sir thanks a million, Look forward to reading back through the thread and getting reinvolved

What's this 'reinvolved' malarkey? You are blooming well involved, you started the idea!!

xx Good to see you back xx

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really like community initiatives like this. I may well join although I am absolutely shocking at chess, and haven't played in yonks. I do enjoy it though.

Anyway, if this cost any money to setup, or money could be spent to make it better, let me know.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Really like community initiatives like this. I may well join although I am absolutely shocking at chess, and haven't played in yonks. I do enjoy it though.

Anyway, if this cost any money to setup, or money could be spent to make it better, let me know.

You should sign up, I dunno if Snuggles has spent anything, a lot of time in my absence though! Its becoming a vibrant NSC group over there and all levels welcome (I am playing shockingly badly at the moment on most 5 min games). I was gobsmacked to come back online and see 38 pages on this thread

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
The 5 min games are great
Building up my rating slowly.
Gets very tense if you go below 1 minute left

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Update chaps.

This seems to going rather well., and everyone that's joined is either taking part in team matches or wants to.

The genuine enthusiasm is superb.

We currently have games going v Zenit St Petersburg, AFC Bournemouth, and two coming up v PAOK ( Greece ) and Qarabagh ( Azerbaijan ).

The feed back seems to be very positive, and all our chess players, whatever level, are enjoying it.

Our team is bloody ours, and we love them!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Update chaps.

This seems to going rather well., and everyone that's joined is either taking part in team matches or wants to.

We currently have games going v Zenit St Petersburg, AFC Bournemouth, and two coming up v PAOK ( Greece ) and Qarabagh ( Azerbaijan ).

The feed back seems to be very positive, and all our chess players, whatever level, are enjoying it.

It's going top banana we seem to have some decent players. I just played a 2 hour blitz arena 5:5 started off hopeless, so many errors as was talking but ended on a streak of 6 wins

56th out of 298 players ok with that but should have been more
Too damned addictive!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Update chaps.

PAOK seem to have cancelled on us?

Pickles

May 5, 2014
PAOK seem to have cancelled on us?

Just seen that.

Yes, they have.That's a shame because I was in excellent dialogue with Anna, their organiser on this.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is anyone else having problems logging onto Chess.com ? I've tried loads of times this evening but it doesn't seem to be available (and am having no problems with other websites)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Is anyone else having problems logging onto Chess.com ? I've tried loads of times this evening but it doesn't seem to be available (and am having no problems with other websites)

I was and had to reset password which did the trick (changed to the same one I was already using)

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
For some reason Chess.com works better with some browsers than others. It seems to work best (for me) with Firefox or Chrome but doesn't like Microsoft Explorer or Edge and is prone to crash with those. This is what it says in the help section:

My Internet connection is fine - why am I getting disconnects?

Unfortunately, having an excellent Internet connection doesn't mean you won't see an occasional disconnect.

There are a number of things that could result in disconnection from the chess server:

Not having cleared cookies & history in a long time
Downloads or uploads (even sending email) in the background
Instant messenger clients
Memory-resident anti-virus software
Other browser tabs with streaming content
Browser add-ons
Using a USB wifi key

Here are some things you can do to minimize the risk of disconnects while you play:

1. Use a trustworthy browser: Chrome or Firefox - not Internet Explorer

2. Limit your use of messaging clients, media players, YouTube (etc.), sending/receiving emails, multiple tabs or anything else that may consume a lot of memory

3. Do maintenance chores regularly, clearing cookies, history, temporary internet files ("cache")

4. Suspend or terminate any memory-resident software that may perform memory-intensive background operations
keywords: disconnect disconnection connect connection live chess internet lag

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
For some reason Chess.com works better with some browsers than others. It seems to work best (for me) with Firefox or Chrome but doesn't like Microsoft Explorer or Edge and is prone to crash with those. This is what it says in the help section:

My Internet connection is fine - why am I getting disconnects?

Unfortunately, having an excellent Internet connection doesn't mean you won't see an occasional disconnect.

There are a number of things that could result in disconnection from the chess server:

Not having cleared cookies & history in a long time
Downloads or uploads (even sending email) in the background
Instant messenger clients
Memory-resident anti-virus software
Other browser tabs with streaming content
Browser add-ons
Using a USB wifi key

Here are some things you can do to minimize the risk of disconnects while you play:

1. Use a trustworthy browser: Chrome or Firefox - not Internet Explorer

2. Limit your use of messaging clients, media players, YouTube (etc.), sending/receiving emails, multiple tabs or anything else that may consume a lot of memory

3. Do maintenance chores regularly, clearing cookies, history, temporary internet files ("cache")

4. Suspend or terminate any memory-resident software that may perform memory-intensive background operations
keywords: disconnect disconnection connect connection live chess internet lag

Hmm... am using Chrome. Don't have You Tube or streaming running, cleared my cache last week and don't use IM. I get email messages telling me it's my move but can't access the site.

I'll try again tomorrow

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here