Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strong and Stable - Congratulations to Angela Merkel on a 4th term

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Interesting. I feel that most partnerships and agreements are stronger and more stable when you have talked through your differences. All the parties have been in discussion and through reason, consideration, patience and thought they’ve settled on this. They have also delivered what the electorate wanted as they are the two biggest parties after all. My only criticism is the SDP’s fit of pique in initially not wanting to govern.

5.5/10 [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION]?

The scores are in ..

Victoria-Pendleton-Brendon-Cole-Strictly-Come-Dancing-Series-10-2012-4x600.jpg

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Mrs Merkel and SPD leader Martin Schulz told a news conference they were optimistic that a new "grand coalition" could be formed.

They spoke of a "fresh start" for Germany, and Mr Schulz said that in Europe "we are determined to deploy Germany's strength".

I bet the Poles are getting nervous
smiley-shooting-tank.gif
:eek:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It looks likely that the same government which ran the show for the past 4 years are back. The past 4 years were fine, I don’t see continued growth, booming economy, enlightened foreign policy, proliferation of craft breweries and the World Cup as being too bad. I’d settle for half of this over the next term.

Surprise surprise.

But actually according to the BBC:
These were just exploratory talks, aimed at establishing whether there's a basis upon which a coalition can be formally negotiated. Before the next round of talks can go ahead, the SPD must give the go-ahead at a special party conference.

Bear in mind that many in the SPD - which had originally refused to work with Mrs Merkel again - blame her for their disastrous election result, and are still uncomfortable about another four years in her shadow.

Even if they approve the negotiations, any coalition treaty will be put to the SPD's 400,000 members in a postal ballot. Mrs Merkel is not out of the woods yet.

larus

Surprise surprise.

These were just exploratory talks, aimed at establishing whether there's a basis upon which a coalition can be formally negotiated. Before the next round of talks can go ahead, the SPD must give the go-ahead at a special party conference.

Bear in mind that many in the SPD - which had originally refused to work with Mrs Merkel again - blame her for their disastrous election result, and are still uncomfortable about another four years in her shadow.

Even if they approve the negotiations, any coalition treaty will be put to the SPD's 400,000 members in a postal ballot. Mrs Merkel is not out of the woods yet.

Exactly. Any idiot :lolol: who assumes this is a done deal is deluded. There’s not a lot of love for Merkel from the SPD membership and this is far from being sorted. It may happen, but she’s weakened, and if this fails, she’s toast.

Strong and Stable - yeah, right. As strong and stable as the English tail vs the Aussies pace attack.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Exactly. Any idiot :lolol: who assumes this is a done deal is deluded. There’s not a lot of love for Merkel from the SPD membership and this is far from being sorted. It may happen, but she’s weakened, and if this fails, she’s toast.

Strong and Stable - yeah, right. As strong and stable as the English tail vs the Aussies pace attack.

Merkel is effectively toast, and politically Germany is looking at a period of instability............happy days are here again!

https://www.thelocal.de/20180112/whats-next-after-merkels-coalition-breakthrough

All together now..........we’re going to hang out our washing on the Siegfried line, etc.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
Merkel is effectively toast, and politically Germany is looking at a period of instability............happy days are here again!

https://www.thelocal.de/20180112/whats-next-after-merkels-coalition-breakthrough

All together now..........we’re going to hang out our washing on the Siegfried line, etc.
they took months to get to this ...

hope they will be taking decisions a bit quicker. no wonder Merkel has governed so long ... half of her first year of this her last term is almost over without taking a decision.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Surprise surprise.

Indeed, as the Lib Dems will tell you... going into coalition as the junior party in an unpopular government could be a disaster

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010

Actually we should want Merkel to stay
Whether you agree with Brexit or not, she’s a friend in the EU and not looking to punish us in negotiations
Her potential coalition partners want to punish us however...

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
As an aside, the real fun will be the Italian elections
The party leading in the polls - and the one that’s third that they could form a coalition with - both want to scrap the Euro
Will make Brexit seem like a tea party...

larus

As an aside, the real fun will be the Italian elections
The party leading in the polls - and the one that’s third that they could form a coalition with - both want to scrap the Euro
Will make Brexit seem like a tea party...

I read the other day that 5 Star are winding back their position in leaving the Euro. I agree that the other party (can’t think of their name) are anti the Euro.

Once they lose the UKs net contributions, this wil have an impact on the EU budget. Germany won’t want to stump up even more, but the recipient nations will want their freebies from the club. And that doesn’t address the issue of the Target 2 liabilities being built up by Germany via the ECB. All is far from rosy in the EU garden.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
I read the other day that 5 Star are winding back their position in leaving the Euro. I agree that the other party (can’t think of their name) are anti the Euro.

Once they lose the UKs net contributions, this wil have an impact on the EU budget. Germany won’t want to stump up even more, but the recipient nations will want their freebies from the club. And that doesn’t address the issue of the Target 2 liabilities being built up by Germany via the ECB. All is far from rosy in the EU garden.

UK contributions are between 18-21% of the whole so a big gap...

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Actually we should want Merkel to stay
Whether you agree with Brexit or not, she’s a friend in the EU and not looking to punish us in negotiations
Her potential coalition partners want to punish us however...
That just sums up what the EU is all about then as many many thousands rely on our trade abroad or even millions.....Then and again the Brussels idiots don't give a shite about that as they're not affected.
Agree about Merkel as she's very level headed but a bit to far left for me sadly :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here