Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Yeah, what you've done there is post a pic of an Oompah band which is folk music.
Do your brain a favour and google "german classical musicians". But make sure you're wearing socks, so they can be blown off.

You really should move to Germany as you love it so much.Try googling British classical musicians/composers if you can be brave enough to type 'British' (I know your type prefers to ignore it's existence).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you are pals with Sir Simon,then you must know about his next job. Has he moved out yet?

Er........no. He isn’t moving anywhere.

“Rattle will be in London for about four months every year in total, when, he says, “I will absolutely work my ass off for the orchestra and for the arts. And then it will be good to escape. I think if I lived here I would be ‘on’ absolutely every day, and I’m not sure I would survive. Not in my 60s.” Home for the 62-year-old will remain Berlin.”

As I said, you’re a dunce.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You really should move to Germany as you love it so much.Try googling British classical musicians/composers if you can be brave enough to type 'British' (I know your type prefers to ignore it's existence).

I could google English footballers if I wanted; what would that prove?

I’ll leave you to Google, as you seem an expert at it this morning.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, what you've done there is post a pic of an Oompah band which is folk music.
Do your brain a favour and google "german classical musicians". But make sure you're wearing socks, so they can be blown off.

One has to chuckle at [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] trying to make out he’s a patron of classical music :lolol:

I wonder if he discussed this with his mate Bryan Robson over a few pints?

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Chris Patten excellent this morning. From the Guardian quoting the Times:

Independent countries do fewer deals than the EU and the deals are not as good as those made by 28 countries acting together, with the bargaining power that being a market of more than 500 million people brings.

The EU has done well over 50 such deals, Canada 15, Australia 15, Switzerland 38 (the majority through Efta). The EU deals are more comprehensive and extensive than those made by single countries. Recent EU deals have covered services, for example, with Canada, Singapore and Vietnam ...

The Global Britain touted by some pro-Brexit ministers (as though we had not been global for centuries) is not only hypocritical, it is also political and economic nonsense. One problem is that the ministers who talk about these fictitious trade deals have never negotiated one. The closest they have come to a trade deal is the checkout at Waitrose.

On the Today programme this morning he expanded on these arguments. He told the programme:

"The Germans inside the European Union send two and a half times as much to China as we do. Our main interest in doing more business with China would be to break into services. And the Chinese are very, very closed about services. The Chinese, if they were going to expand services with us, what it would actually mean is more Chinese tourists, which would mean an easier visa access for Chinese tourists.

The Chinese have just done a trade deal with Switzerland. It hardly covers services, except under General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade terms. It does cover trade in manufactured goods a bit, but only to the extent that the Chinese have immediate tariff-free access to Switzerland; the Swiss have to wait 15 years to get tariff-free access.

The problem is, if as a single country you get in bed with an elephant, you tend to get squashed."

This is so painfully obvious why do Brexiteers even pretend that trade deals are going to fall from the sky.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I think there are some fantastic British composers. But I will say that Germany, as far as culture is concerned, arguably, pretty much led the world for centuries. I would say there's is a very strong argument for that still being the case. One only has to visit the Hanover region to see that.
Live there? Yes, if I had to move to a different country I would pick Germany in a heartbeat.
However, I love England too much to move away. For my money, standing up on the Downs looking over Sussex is about as good as life gets.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyway. I’ll wish you all well as it’s now holiday time for me. Späters.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
More amusing Brexit news.If the EU Commission stop us using Galileo it will not work at all.Ground stations in the Falklands,Diego Garcia,and Ascension Island will be turned off.Just shows how utterly dumb the Commissioners are!:lolol:

In addition to us funding around 30% of the development costs and approx 25% of the future running costs.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Struggling to understand what 'trade deals' we will do well in. When you lose a bid for an important product for the country, when undercut by another western European country, not China, or India for example, it doesnt bode that well.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You really are blighted by your hatred of the older generations. Many pensioners live on or below the poverty line. Many can't afford to heat their homes despite it being a risk to their lives not to do so. Many get stuck in hospital when they are ill because the social care programme is shot to bits. You need to take your rose coloured ( or should that be envy coloured ) specs off and see it's not the older generations that have done you bad - it's the political elite of any age.

Although I agree with you about the political elite, I can see that young, working tax paying people in the UK are still getting the raw deal.

The biggest single spend of the taxes that they pay is pensions for the ever increasing ageing UK populace. I know that 'they've paid in and are entitled to their pensions' but the simple fact is that the governments they voted in decided to spend those taxes on other priorities. Whether it be infrastructure, NHS, defence etc etc, there is now no money reserved to pay pensions.

You make a lot of reasonable points about poverty, heating, hospitals etc concerning pensioners.

However, it is the people who are currently in their 30s, 20s and starting work that are going to have to pay for the majority of this constantly ageing population.

This Brexit vote will (I think all sides agree) hit the country economically to some degree, (whether short or long term) lessening tax income. It will also lessen Immigration and it's associated tax income. All this means increasing the tax burden on the working young to support the elderly retired.

Then compare this to the voting results by age, and I can see why there is a little resentment, can't you ?

Wz (aged 57 and a half)

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Chris Patten excellent this morning. From the Guardian quoting the Times:

Independent countries do fewer deals than the EU and the deals are not as good as those made by 28 countries acting together, with the bargaining power that being a market of more than 500 million people brings.

The EU has done well over 50 such deals, Canada 15, Australia 15, Switzerland 38 (the majority through Efta). The EU deals are more comprehensive and extensive than those made by single countries. Recent EU deals have covered services, for example, with Canada, Singapore and Vietnam ...

The Global Britain touted by some pro-Brexit ministers (as though we had not been global for centuries) is not only hypocritical, it is also political and economic nonsense. One problem is that the ministers who talk about these fictitious trade deals have never negotiated one. The closest they have come to a trade deal is the checkout at Waitrose.

On the Today programme this morning he expanded on these arguments. He told the programme:

"The Germans inside the European Union send two and a half times as much to China as we do. Our main interest in doing more business with China would be to break into services. And the Chinese are very, very closed about services. The Chinese, if they were going to expand services with us, what it would actually mean is more Chinese tourists, which would mean an easier visa access for Chinese tourists.

The Chinese have just done a trade deal with Switzerland. It hardly covers services, except under General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade terms. It does cover trade in manufactured goods a bit, but only to the extent that the Chinese have immediate tariff-free access to Switzerland; the Swiss have to wait 15 years to get tariff-free access.

The problem is, if as a single country you get in bed with an elephant, you tend to get squashed."

This is so painfully obvious why do Brexiteers even pretend that trade deals are going to fall from the sky.

Answer - Stay in the Customs Union

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Although I agree with you about the political elite, I can see that young, working tax paying people in the UK are still getting the raw deal.

The biggest single spend of the taxes that they pay is pensions for the ever increasing ageing UK populace. I know that 'they've paid in and are entitled to their pensions' but the simple fact is that the governments they voted in decided to spend those taxes on other priorities. Whether it be infrastructure, NHS, defence etc etc, there is now no money reserved to pay pensions.

You make a lot of reasonable points about poverty, heating, hospitals etc concerning pensioners.

However, it is the people who are currently in their 30s, 20s and starting work that are going to have to pay for the majority of this constantly ageing population.

This Brexit vote will (I think all sides agree) hit the country economically to some degree, (whether short or long term) lessening tax income. It will also lessen Immigration and it's associated tax income. All this means increasing the tax burden on the working young to support the elderly retired.

Then compare this to the voting results by age, and I can see why there is a little resentment, can't you ?

Wz (aged 57 and a half)

You'll get no argument on any of that from me. I will add though that younger generations have always had to pay for older ones, now nor the future will be any different. I just find the OPs constant vilification of older generations unacceptable and the idea that this country hasn't done anything for him laughable - for example, wherever he's buggered off to he's unlikely to find a free at the point of delivery health service as good as here ( although I will admit it has issues ).

WS ( aged 47 and 355 days )

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I predict on this thread that there will be no end of ad hominen attacks on Christopher Wylie, because his testimony ought to have an explosive effect.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You'll get no argument on any of that from me. I will add though that younger generations have always had to pay for older ones, now nor the future will be any different. I just find the OPs constant vilification of older generations unacceptable and the idea that this country hasn't done anything for him laughable - for example, wherever he's buggered off to he's unlikely to find a free at the point of delivery health service as good as here ( although I will admit it has issues ).

WS ( aged 47 and 355 days )

Blame it all on me, because I'm..........

GNT (age 63 and 3 months)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Blame it all on me, because I'm..........

GNT (age 63 and 3 months)

There was a guy on telly last night who referred to the way that the older generation had been vilified for voting out( if they indeed did). He suggested that if it wasn't for his generation sacrificing themselves in wars the world and the UK itself would be nafery different place than it is now.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There was a guy on telly last night who referred to the way that the older generation had been vilified for voting out( if they indeed did). He suggested that if it wasn't for his generation sacrificing themselves in wars the world and the UK itself would be nafery different place than it is now.

Point of fact by very definition, Baby Boomers would not have been old enough to fight in the war.
I personally have no problem with BB's at all. The world changed and they reaped rewards. It's not like they sat on their backsides it's that most of them made a good fist of the new opportunities.

We will never see a generation like it again nor will we ever see those opportunities again. However, my generation will benefit from their opportunities through inheritance. If you're clever you can look after that reduce tax you pay on it. So to dismiss BB's as ruining the country I do not agree with. Yes, many voted leave but that's the lies the Leave campaign told and they are certainly no more to blame than your average thicko leave voter.

It needn't have come to this though. Those that wanted to return to England in the 1950's where men were men and women were hairier, where shops closed on Wednesday afternoons, where the Missus had to get the husbands signature to buy a washing machine, where we ate canned food and spam, where the only noise at the breakfast table was the odd "tut" from behind Father's copy of the times, those that wanted this life could have just ****ed off to Australia and left the rest of us to our decent lives.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Er........no. He isn’t moving anywhere.

“Rattle will be in London for about four months every year in total, when, he says, “I will absolutely work my ass off for the orchestra and for the arts. And then it will be good to escape. I think if I lived here I would be ‘on’ absolutely every day, and I’m not sure I would survive. Not in my 60s.” Home for the 62-year-old will remain Berlin.”

As I said, you’re a dunce.

Think you still have time to edit that if you want to.We will see who the dunce is in August,won't we?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Think you still have time to edit that if you want to.We will see who the dunce is in August,won't we?

I really don't think anyone is gonna buy this reinventing of yourself as some sort of one man cultural knowledge pool, I'm afraid. If you valued culture you wouldn't have voted Leave, Fact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here