Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Very good advice as always from [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]. Cross training is the key thing I think, if you're running every day you're putting very specific stress on a bunch of muscles and if it's all you do, then you're going to overwork them. If you train in a different way you work other muscles which then increases the whole structure of muscles in your body. I think, I'm not an expert by any means but it makes sense. I am now fully over my ligament issue in my left shin/ankle so I'm back out there again, and have started cycling again which I've missed. I did a very tough session on a cross trainer in the gym last week which was not a lot of fun but it makes a real difference and I might even pop into the King Alfred at some point and have a little swim.

Or I'll just go out for a very long run tomorrow on a day off work!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Oh and another thing [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ....... just getting out there and running, without specific targets, times etc, is also a great idea and something we all need to do more. The stress of having to be spot on for a particular event often isn't worth it. Just enjoy it for what it is - get on the trails (Downs), walk when you feel like it. Happy days [emoji3][emoji106]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh and another thing [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ....... just getting out there and running, without specific targets, times etc, is also a great idea and something we all need to do more. The stress of having to be spot on for a particular event often isn't worth it. Just enjoy it for what it is - get on the trails (Downs), walk when you feel like it. Happy days [emoji3][emoji106]

I've not run a single event, not even a Park Run. In fact I've never run a single stride with (or against) anyone else.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm going to hook up with The Mikkeller Berlin Running Club tomorrow. I really hope I have got this right but Mikkeller is a famous/cult craft brewer from Copenhagen and he seems to also have a running club

http://mikkellerrunningclub.dk/chapters/berlin/

As I understand it the club meets and runs around Berlin every month with the finish point at a pub of interest. Tomorrow is the Xmas run, we meet at Brewdog, trot for 6-7 miles around Mitte, Alt-Moabit and Wedding then finish with a few beers at Brewdog. A great way to combine two of my hobbies.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Yeah im a big fan of this! Its all about relaxing and being out of house, away from work and whatever.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm going to hook up with The Mikkeller Berlin Running Club tomorrow. I really hope I have got this right but Mikkeller is a famous/cult craft brewer from Copenhagen and he seems to also have a running club

http://mikkellerrunningclub.dk/chapters/berlin/

As I understand it the club meets and runs around Berlin every month with the finish point at a pub of interest. Tomorrow is the Xmas run, we meet at Brewdog, trot for 6-7 miles around Mitte, Alt-Moabit and Wedding then finish with a few beers at Brewdog. A great way to combine two of my hobbies.
My club does Friday pub runs in mid Sussex.... Start at a pub, usually 5-6 miles, then food and beer afterwards. Lovely way to spend a summer evening. Different pub/route every week from April to September and almost all offroad. Anyone on here fancy trying it you'd be very welcome.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My club does Friday pub runs in mid Sussex.... Start at a pub, usually 5-6 miles, then food and beer afterwards. Lovely way to spend a summer evening. Different pub/route every week from April to September and almost all offroad. Anyone on here fancy trying it you'd be very welcome.

I like this. Maybe add an extra mile if you fancy a pudding as well?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Agreed, but that is ALL I do.

We'll, when I can run anyway!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I went out and found a 14 mile run out of nowhere. I did stumble over the 2 hour mark though, 2:02. But it does include the whole of Ditchling Road from The Level to Coldean Lane (new segment on Strava, give that one a smack lads!) and then all of the footpath from Falmer to Woodingdean and then down through Ovingdean and that absolute ******** of a hill. The twinkling lights on Falmer Road and then the A259 were quite something, the run finished in the dark about 5:30.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Tried out a new (to me) parkrun course: Fareham, in deepest Pompey country. Time was a bit disappointing (22:05) on a reasonably quick course, but pleased to see that I managed a 3rd place (out of about 130 other freezing souls) on Age Grading. Will count that as Albion 1 Pompey 0.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Volunteered this morning after a late night last night. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] looked to be in good form.
Really looking forward to Mince Pie tomorrow. Weather looks great cold and sunny bit of a brisk easterly though.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I finished the mouth to mouth marathon today, 28 miles in 4:50. I was fairly happy with the time as my first marathon and had some cramping in my thigh which resulted in 13 min miles at mile 25 and 26. It was a cracking event, a beautiful course and excellent weather with blue skies. I have to thank Dazzer66666 for his advice on walking the hills, I found that a large portion of people were walking them and when I saw people running them the advantage they were gaining was negligible on the steepest bits. I think I would have ended up in a bad way had I tried to run them like I was doing during training!

Now I need to think about my next event.....

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I finished the mouth to mouth marathon today, 28 miles in 4:50. I was fairly happy with the time as my first marathon and had some cramping in my thigh which resulted in 13 min miles at mile 25 and 26. It was a cracking event, a beautiful course and excellent weather with blue skies. I have to thank Dazzer66666 for his advice on walking the hills, I found that a large portion of people were walking them and when I saw people running them the advantage they were gaining was negligible on the steepest bits. I think I would have ended up in a bad way had I tried to run them like I was doing during training!

Bloody well done!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Volunteered this morning after a late night last night. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] looked to be in good form.
Really looking forward to Mince Pie tomorrow. Weather looks great cold and sunny bit of a brisk easterly though.
I wondered why you weren't running. It was ok - 22.10 - and I could have pushed but didn't want to mess up tomorrow. Really looking forward to it after a shite week at work.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Sounds like my approach to Beachy. I like the sound of this race. Next year maybe...

Great time for your first marathon HTP. There are plenty more like it coming up.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

That's a great effort. That's a tough course for a first timer in a very respectable time. Your a marathon runner now, it's a great feeling.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

I sat out of park run today as well to save myself for tomorrow. Like you I'm really up for this one.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here