Votes: 155 81.2%
  • NO! - beans in a cooked breakfast = an abomination

Votes: 33 17.3%
  • Not fussed as I am a FREAK who doesn't like cooked breakfast

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Tinned tomatoes are a crime against society. They make your fried bread or toast soggy.

They are useful for ingredients in other dishes but not on a full English (or Scottish)

Fresh fried tomatoes, egg, bacon, mushrooms, sausage, and, if you're north of the border, haggis. My other half loves black pudding, but I dislike it.

I like baked beans on toast or with a jacket potato with cheese grated on top, but not for breakfast.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I would say no, but mainly because nobody cooks them as I like them - they always come far too runny, and I like my sauce nearly cooked away. You don't want runny beans on an English.

Ah Richard how are you my goodman ?

My trick to thicken them up is.....

Add cheese making all new cheesy beans.....

Wonderful.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I'm always given the option when ordering a fry up at my regular cafe.

Hash Browns or Black Pudding - Hash Browns.
Beans or Tomatoes - Beans.

It's a yes from me.

What are you some sort of a ladyman? I bet you have ketchup too. The correct answer of course is I'll have everything, choices schmoices.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Fried tomatoes are the worst part of a fry up, why they are needed i have no ide?. Cant believe people are also suggesting tinned tomatoes, they should also be left well away from a nice greasy fry up.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What are you some sort of a ladyman? I bet you have ketchup too. The correct answer of course is I'll have everything, choices schmoices.

Then they'd charge about £3 extra though. I have brown sauce and ketchup though and always finish my toast, including the crusts.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
In my hotel, the full English consists of a field mushroom, hash browns, roast tomato, black pudding, smoked back bacon, Cumberland sausage, choice of egg AND baked beans. Oh, and toast, but I'll do fried bread if they ask nicely. The item people most want left off/subbed is the black pudding, because they are UNEDUCATED HEATHENS

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
In my hotel, the full English consists of a field mushroom, hash browns, roast tomato, black pudding, smoked back bacon, Cumberland sausage, choice of egg AND baked beans. Oh, and toast, but I'll do fried bread if they ask nicely. The item people most want left off/subbed is the black pudding, because they are UNEDUCATED HEATHENS

Hear hear; Black Pudding is the Food of the Gods (bloodthirsty Wagnerian Gods perhaps). :drool:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
If only you had the option to create a poll people could vote on................

Anyway, for me the answer is "sometimes" which probably wouldn't have been one of the poll options :lolol:. If the alternative on a set is tomatoes OR beans then I'll have the beans because I don't like cooked tomatoes as much, especially early doors. If they are served separately in a pot like the hotel we stay in regularly in Oxfordshire when we visit my wife's family then, again, it's a yes. If served next to, or, God forbid, on top of the egg or the bacon then it;s a big fat no. Egg and beans doesn't go and I don't want anything softening the crispness of my bacon.

For me fried potatoes and / or chips are also a no-no. It's got to be egg, bacon, sausage, black pudding, mushroom and fried bread with beans following the above rules.

This is very close to my answer so I am stealing it. I will also add that cooked toms are quite nice with fried bread on occasions and hash browns are evil.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's a big no from me as I don't like baked beans.
The cafe I use regularly is happy to swop any item on the menu. I find it odd when some cafes have a sign saying ' No changes to set breakfasts ' next to the menu. Not helpful when beans and tomatoes are on every breakfast, or a choice of either.

I really can't stand tinned tomatoes or even worse, plum tomatoes, not really a fan of fried bread either, I always have toast or bread and butter, or both.

Canfan

Nov 8, 2014
Beyond Hope
Baked beans are an essential part of a full English fry up in my opinion. So are tomato's. Don't care whether they come out of a tin or not. They have to be there.
But, why oh why, do baked beans in the U.S. and Canada have to have a lump of globby pork fat in every can?
I suppose that’s why they call it ‘Pork & Beans’ over here, but still?
Don’t even get me started on the tangent of maple syrup for pancakes (definitely not part of a Full English) getting mixed up with the eggs, bacon and sausage on the breakfast plate.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Beans are essential:
2/3 Bacon, 2 Sausage (if possible spicy chipolatas which is then 4) 3 Fried Eggs (or 2 poached if cooking at home), Beans, Roasted Tomatoes, 3/4 Hash Browns, 1 Fried Toast, 1 Toast on the plate, 1/2 Bread or Toast on the side, Lashings of Brown sauce

Chips on an English are just wrong

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Any Sussexonian with a modicum of self-respect will have fallen out of King's/Oriana's/Busby's/The Suite etc etc and used what must be the yardstick of post celebration healthy dining. (King's was just a short hop).

mdb.JPG

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Beans always, along with bacon, sausage, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and toast. Chips if I'm at a cafe, black pudding too. I once worked with a guy who insisted that putting mustard on an English breakfast was quite normal. MUSTARD on a traditional English breakfast... oh how we ridiculed him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Two slices of crispy Bacon, one (Pork) Sausage, one slice of Black Pudding, a runny Fried Egg, a tinned Tomato, Baked Beans, Fried Mushrooms and a round of Fried Bread.

Mug of Tea to wash it down with. Heaven...

Think what you are describing is actually a 'half English' or 'ladies English' isn't it ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here