Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help with a photo

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As you can see the Isle of Wight from the moon, I'm certain you can see it from Brighton.

:jester:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did you take the photo on Saturday morning by any chance?

Because on Saturday morning I saw two shapes on the horizon just like in your 1st photo, but I saw them from the West Hill in Hastings! The sky was this exact same colour too.

It had me confused as I've never seen them before. I put it down to cloud formation in the end but they looked uncannily like land masses.

Surely it's not possible to see the IOW from Hastings!? I'm intrigued now though. Anyone any ideas?

How high is West Hill above sea level? Elevation and atmospherics have a lot to do with how far you can see.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How high is West Hill above sea level? Elevation and atmospherics have a lot to do with how far you can see.

The two formations were well to the left of beachy head. Impossible to be IOW.

Don't mind me, I'm just having a mad 5 minutes. But it's spooky that I saw two big shapes on the horizon on Saturday morning that looked exactly the same as those posted in the opening post here.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Did you take the photo on Saturday morning by any chance?

Because on Saturday morning I saw two shapes on the horizon just like in your 1st photo, but I saw them from the West Hill in Hastings! The sky was this exact same colour too.

It had me confused as I've never seen them before. I put it down to cloud formation in the end but they looked uncannily like land masses.

Surely it's not possible to see the IOW from Hastings!? I'm intrigued now though. Anyone any ideas?

These pictures are a few years old (2011). I knew it was the IOW as you can see it 50-100 days a year from high spots in Brighton. Often it is a smudge, less often it is a very well defined shape and this one of those days.They usually occur around storms when I guess the air is cleanest though there might also be some of other factors influencing the light. So I would say the conditions at the weekend could well have allowed viewing as they were similar to when I took the pictures. Hastings is a big ask as it would make it 70 miles but who knows.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
These pictures are a few years old (2011). I knew it was the IOW as you can see it 50-100 days a year from high spots in Brighton. Often it is a smudge, less often it is a very well defined shape and this one of those days.They usually occur around storms when I guess the air is cleanest though there might also be some of other factors influencing the light. So I would say the conditions at the weekend could well have allowed viewing as they were similar to when I took the pictures. Hastings is a big ask as it would make it 70 miles but who knows.

Well there was certainly a storm brewing on Saturday morning!

Spooky that you should choose to post these photos now when they were taken a couple of years ago. I've never seen what I saw on Saturday morning before and just put it down to cloud formation. But your photos have now got me thinking, and making a fool of myself (again). It's surely impossible to see IOW from Hastings.

Midsussex

Apr 10, 2012
This picture was taken from top of Bear Road and in the centre shows the IOW (sorry if I am stating the obvious). However hat I cannot work out what/where the white cliffs are in the smaller landmass as I thought everything down to Portsmouth was flat. Any thoughts?

View attachment 79619

Are the White Cliffs not Culver Down North of Sandown on IOW? I reckon both landmasses are Isle of Wight, but the adjoining section is low lying and cannot be seen.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Portsdown Hill.png

I've enlarged the image, for members of the Flat Earth Society and others. See that thing sticking up on top of the hill, it's a monument to Nelson. That's Nelson the sailor not the ex President of South Africa. I suspect most of you thought Nelson's column was in Trafalgar square.

Nelson's Needle.JPG

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
If that is Nelson's Monument on Portsdown Hill, then you'd have most of Portsmouth between that and the Isle of Wight. The monument is only 120 feet tall and it looks like empty land between that and the land mass out as sea. Surely the tall buildings in Gunwharf would be visible too, if you could see the monument.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
If that is Nelson's Monument on Portsdown Hill, then you'd have most of Portsmouth between that and the Isle of Wight. The monument is only 120 feet tall and it looks like empty land between than and the land mass out as sea. Surely the tall buildings in Gunwharf would be visible too, if you could see the monument.

I think the land mass is actually cloud formation, as others have said.

It's all to do with the earths curviture, the cliffs an monuments combined above sea level height is far far greater than say the spiniker tower hence with the slight curve you can see the cliffs.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
It's all to do with the earths curviture, the cliffs an monuments combined above sea level height is far far greater than say the spiniker tower hence with the slight curve you can see the cliffs.

Fair enough. Learn something new every day!

I spend a lot of time visiting my girlfriends parents in Port Solent and they have a great view of Portsdown Hill and Portchester Castle. Didn't realise it was visible from here though.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Are the White Cliffs not Culver Down North of Sandown on IOW? I reckon both landmasses are Isle of Wight, but the adjoining section is low lying and cannot be seen.

I did wonder that myself but I think skipper734 has some pretty decent evidence to prove it is Portsdown Hill.

Midsussex

Apr 10, 2012
I did wonder that myself but I think skipper734 has some pretty decent evidence to prove it is Portsdown Hill.

Unfortunately and with the greatest respect to skipper734, his evidence is flawed. Portsdown Hill and the Nelson Monument lie almost due West from Bear Road. A direct line between the two passes over land the whole way. Whereas plenty of sea can be seen in your photo between you and the Cliffs in question.

If you draw a line on a map from Bear Road to St Barts Church, then Brighton Station , then extend it out over the sea to the Isle of Wight it ends up at Culver Down. The monument on top is Yarborough Monument.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Unfortunately and with the greatest respect to skipper734, his evidence is flawed. Portsdown Hill and the Nelson Monument lie almost due West from Bear Road. A direct line between the two passes over land the whole way. Whereas plenty of sea can be seen in your photo between you and the Cliffs in question.

If you draw a line on a map from Bear Road to St Barts Church, then Brighton Station , then extend it out over the sea to the Isle of Wight it ends up at Culver Down. The monument on top is Yarborough Monument.

What you've said makes so much more sense. I'd then assume that the gap between the two land masses is due to the curve of the island.

As per my post below... it didn't make sense to me that it was Portsdown Hill as that is quite far inland.

If that is Nelson's Monument on Portsdown Hill, then you'd have most of Portsmouth between that and the Isle of Wight. The monument is only 120 feet tall and it looks like empty land between that and the land mass out as sea. Surely the tall buildings in Gunwharf would be visible too, if you could see the monument.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The photo is clear proof that there is a god.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Agreed m, the cliffs must be at Culver Down and the gap in the main pix is Shanklin Bay which can't be seen as its lower than the curvature

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
View attachment 79635

I've enlarged the image, for members of the Flat Earth Society and others. See that thing sticking up on top of the hill, it's a monument to Nelson. That's Nelson the sailor not the ex President of South Africa. I suspect most of you thought Nelson's column was in Trafalgar square.

View attachment 79636

40 miles away, and yet you can still see that column clearly? surely not?

Also what are those unidentified shapes on the horizon to the left of the photo?.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here