Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monarch to go bust?

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
I heard that Aviator (Handling Co at LGW) maybe be going bust, I understand that the baggage handlers were paid by Gatwick Airport and not the handling co.....Do they handle Monarch ?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I heard that Aviator (Handling Co at LGW) maybe be going bust, I understand that the baggage handlers were paid by Gatwick Airport and not the handling co.....Do they handle Monarch ?

I think they use Aviator at Birmingham but s new company at Gatwick called ASL
Menzies at Luton, could be any of them in trouble if any.
Many years ago I worked for Gatwick Handling what a chequered history that company had, constantly sold and taken over by various airlines, at one point it was owned by Laker & Dan-Air.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Handler thing doesn't stack up either if they do use separate companies at each airport.

Pretty sure these chartered flights are going back to various U.K. Hubs. And would the CAA get involved in a handler going under ?

Talk that when their Ibiza flight lands back in the U.K at 05.20 operations to cease then to ensure all planes on UK soil

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sounds feasible to me, as a non-airline industry type...

"Monarch flights and seats are sold by First Aviation, at the end of SEPT the ATOL is due for renewal and that means a new bond is needed, that bond would be for more than GBP 5m. Greybull won't want to tie up that much working capital and as the airline has not been sold as a going concern, partly due to brevet concerns for a UK AOC and what it can and can't do after brexit, then the logical choice will be to shut the airline down prior to start of new ATOL year.

Sorry to say it but once the planes are airborne from IBZ, they will shut the airline down.

The aircraft in place are to be used for passengers to be repatriated, This is much better planned than the XL failure. All will become clear tomorrow AM."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Lots of second-hand reports for a while that Monarch flights into Manchester are not going to the terminal, as they usually do, but being 'parked' on remote stands.

Then this chap pipes up...

[tweet]780170898011742208[/tweet]

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Is now in the air

but also..

"I work for a major call centre operator. We have been placed on standby for the closure of a major airlines all last week in association with the caa. To man emergency lines for repatriation etc.. this news was meant to hit Thursday last week. Just received a call to be in work at 7 this morning. They have been very careful not to say which airline it is though."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Of their 34 planes only 8 are in the air right now!

is that normal or abnormal for 6:30 on a Monday?

news says they've come out to say they arent in trouble and due to report £40m profit at end of financial year in October.

IMG_20160926_063954.JPG
Seems pretty normal this morning at Gatwick, another Monarch departs

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
All very odd. Some reports saying all is fine and others saying theyve been in talks with the CAA overnight and are hoping to announce new investment shortly

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
is that normal or abnormal for 6:30 on a Monday?

news says they've come out to say they arent in trouble and due to report £40m profit at end of financial year in October.

See post 48, they were all in UK first thing this morning, so completely normal that there would only be a few up by 6:30. 19 are active now, looks like nothing more than a rumour.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Very strange as these random planes now have the same flight destinations and numbers on the schedules and can be viewed online.

Monarch really need to communicate better, they can't say nothing to do with them when there clearly is something not right

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Very strange as these random planes now have the same flight destinations and numbers on the schedules and can be viewed online.

Monarch really need to communicate better, they can't say nothing to do with them when there clearly is something not right

Seems like CAA/Monarch talks have been ongoing, possibly overnight (http://bbc.in/2cxlZ0v). One of the United 747s that was flying over from Chicago turned back mid-journey. One is on the tarmac in Mallorca though.

Possibly some brinkmanship going on, with CAA lining up repatriation aircraft should the worst happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here