Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oxford Tonight - Who's Going?

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
'Hugh Laurie! Miriam Margolyes! Stephen Hawking! P.D. James! Tim Henman! John Sergeant! Inspector Morse! Dreaming Spires - can you hear me, Dreaming Spires! Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!' :)

Not Henman - remember he did the evil deed of dumping them for Fulham when Fulham were in the Prem. Not good form Timmy!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So I take it we're going to win the league now?

edit: sorry, I see [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] has already taken that road.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That was a very good performance last evening.

From the start, we pressed high and pressured Oxford into mistake after mistake. The Oxford goalkeeper was outstanding and prevented a potential 6 or 7 nil hammering.

However, I thought Murray was poor (the penalty typified his performance, it was a classic lethargic Murray effort) and Hemed looked more hungry. The whole team were very, very good albeit against fairly mediocre opposition.

The Under 23s ;-), that came on maintained the high standard. Will Collar showed great composure, Molumby really was keen and did not give away possession at all, even Elvis was keen. I suppose the one player who never really got into the game when he came on was KLL.

That run Molumby put in for that third goal was fantastic. Like Kayal, he can seriously travel over short distances. Collar looked extremely rapid too -- there was one lightning run down the wing about ten minutes before the end. Hunt looks classy too, and I think switched from right to left back.

Well put and spot-on.

A couple of worries. Rosenoir twisted ankle, tried to run it off but winced when he landed and was duly replaced by the excellent Hunt. Stephens opened the knee joint and banged the ground in frustration as he landed, but walked off after some treatment, again precautionary I would suggest.

Bruno played CB, and after 10 minutes played the pass of the match with the outside of his boot to the overlapping Rosenoir.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I was at the game and thought that the gulf in class widened after Albion’s multiple substitutions. All of the youngsters that came on (especially Jayson Molumby, who was outstanding) showed that the Academy is starting to bear fruit.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
But why no Hambo and Harper?

The under 23's have a game at Whitehawk tonight. I would suggest the youngsters who got a chance last night were the ones who are more likely to be called upon or were given a run out due to having had a good pretty season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Sounds like an encouraging result. Friendly results don't mean much (as I said at the weekend) but it is a good sign that we improved a lot from the weekend. Good to hear that some of the youngsters impressed too, especially as there is no loan window now.

Think that starting 11 will be very close to our first choice this season. Goldson or a new centre back for one of the full backs (so hard to choose as Rosenior, Bong and Bruno are all more than good enough to start). Same midfield except Murphy swapping with Skalak for harder away games as he is more solid defensively (think that might happen at Derby for example as well as Sidwell for Stephens obviously). Up front, I'd say it will be Hemed or Murray and the new striker, when he signs. For the first game, I think he might try Hemed and Murray at the weekend (tried Murray and Baldock last night and Hemed and Baldock played together a lot last season) with a view to playing that at Derby. Will help at set pieces and there will be plenty of pace on the wings.

For all the injury issues we've had pre season and lack of signings, the team we named last night from the start is very impressive on paper (and the subs too) and shows that if we can get all our players back and make a couple of signings, we will have a strong squad this season.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Sounds like an encouraging result. Friendly results don't mean much (as I said at the weekend) but it is a good sign that we improved a lot from the weekend. Good to hear that some of the youngsters impressed too, especially as there is no loan window now.

Think that starting 11 will be very close to our first choice this season. Goldson or a new centre back for one of the full backs (so hard to choose as Rosenior, Bong and Bruno are all more than good enough to start). Same midfield except Murphy swapping with Skalak for harder away games as he is more solid defensively (think that might happen at Derby for example as well as Sidwell for Stephens obviously). Up front, I'd say it will be Hemed or Murray and the new striker, when he signs. For the first game, I think he might try Hemed and Murray at the weekend (tried Murray and Baldock last night and Hemed and Baldock played together a lot last season) with a view to playing that at Derby. Will help at set pieces and there will be plenty of pace on the wings.

For all the injury issues we've had pre season and lack of signings, the team we named last night from the start is very impressive on paper (and the subs too) and shows that if we can get all our players back and make a couple of signings, we will have a strong squad this season.

We needed that last night. Pre season results / preformances cant really give a true insight in to what is to come but it can give hints.

After a couple of flat games I was pleased we clicked last night as we know we can / do.

Reading the Oxford press / forums they are drooling over us.

Whatever happens v Lazio then we know this team can still click and raise the gears when needed.

No fears

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We needed that last night. Pre season results / preformances cant really give a true insight in to what is to come but it can give hints.

After a couple of flat games I was pleased we clicked last night as we know we can / do.

Reading the Oxford press / forums they are drooling over us.

Whatever happens v Lazio then we know this team can still click and raise the gears when needed.

No fears

Agreed. From a morale point of view, yes I agree. It was always going to be a fairer test once we played something close to a full squad, although ironically the first team won 1-0 and the reserves won 3-0 (although clearly that is harsh on the likes of Murphy and Hemed as they will start a lot of games this season).

I know it goes against the general view on NSC, but I have confidence in that squad. They were amazing in the second half of last season and we've hardly lost anyone who featured in that run. Zamora was injured for most of the second half of the season, Wilson rarely started when Baldock and Hemed were both available, Greer only played the last three games, Calde rarely featured after Rosenior returned and Crofts and Chicksen were out on loan so I don't think we've lost much except a bit of depth.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Apparently Ince played really well in a defensive midfield type of role, maybe this is the way to go with him? Maybe he can be the fourth choice after Sidwell, he can do the defensive work and let Kayal/Stephens/Sidwell do the attacking forays?

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
It was significant for me,watching online, how much more energy we had when the youngsters came on. We attacked and moved the ball quicker and looked more likely to score. Hemed was fed the goals by good attacking play. Murray, although we had a lot of play did not get that service. The pace of Collar and Molumby was the difference. Hunt also looked good at full back. Hopefully this is the year that some of these players can break through and get time on the bench.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Watching on line I thought Ince was one of our worst players. He gave the ball away a lot and looked like a rabbit in the headlights a times. It is a shame because when he first played for the first team he looked the real deal and I rated him. He seems to have gone backwards and is well behind Kayal, Stephens, Sidwell and Towel. It will also be interesting to see how Jason Molumby progresses as he is highly rated and playing above his age in all formats.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Is it 2009?!!

I can't believe fans still talk like this about Murray. Yes he looks languid at times but he has more class than most other Championship strikers put together.

I can only believe that those that keep choosing to denigrate Murray either have an agenda against him or haven't seen him play much. He does have class, oodles of it. He is quite possibly, the best defensive striker I have ever seen. His heading in his own box is superb. He is like a tribesman of old, only drawing his sword to draw blood. He does appear languid...that is his style. He hasn't got the hustle and bustle of Baldock but I know who I would back to score most over a season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here