Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I did think once The Pelican got going and our bear friends arrived in the crowd it was going to kick off but unfortunately not. Put this down to it being a Tuesday night and last date of the tour. Nothing like the intensity of those Krankenhaus evenings but enjoyable all the same. Missed the support but picked up a couple of fridge magnets and a mug from merchandise.

Sorry to have missed you. I thought BSP were bloomin great! Not ploddy at all, except for perhaps one of the new ones. The Concorde is a terrible venue though - very difficult to enjoy a gig when it's so packed and hard to push your way to the front. I managed to, though - and thought they were fantastic. So maybe depends on where people are stood etc.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Sorry to have missed you. I thought BSP were bloomin great! Not ploddy at all, except for perhaps one of the new ones. The Concorde is a terrible venue though - very difficult to enjoy a gig when it's so packed and hard to push your way to the front. I managed to, though - and thought they were fantastic. So maybe depends on where people are stood etc.

I did look out for you. We only arrived about five minutes or so before they came on stage and ended up fairly near the back. I did enjoy the set and hearing those songs that don’t often get an airing. A good mix from all albums. I do agree the evening could have done with some St Louis etc just to lift it a bit. As for C2, it is a much better experience at the front as it is I guess in most venues, The Haunt in particular.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Judas Priest at Wacken in August along with Steele Panther and many others.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Looking forward to the weekend.

I've got hot new(ish) London/ Brighton things Squid playing GDS on Friday night. Have a listen to their EP from last year it covers a lot of bases - ambient, krautrock, psych-rock - https://squiduk.bandcamp.com/

Really looking forward to Hookworms at Patterns on Saturday. A band that has always been brilliant live, armed with their best material to date.

And Ian Svenonius is in town on Sunday with his current outfit Chain and The Gang

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not ploddy at all, except for perhaps one of the new ones.

Ploddy was a bit harsh. It wasn't a criticism of any song in particular, I thought everything they played was good. It was just a little one paced, it never really felt like the show was taking off like you know they can. I'm also a bit hyper-critical of BSP as the band I've seen most in my life but the group I was with who have about 250 BSP shows between us all agreed. A good night nonetheless.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Ploddy was a bit harsh. It wasn't a criticism of any song in particular, I thought everything they played was good. It was just a little one paced, it never really felt like the show was taking off like you know they can. I'm also a bit hyper-critical of BSP as the band I've seen most in my life but the group I was with who have about 250 BSP shows between us all agreed. A good night nonetheless.

I've seen them a 'few' times as well! I loved it - but I was down the front, as I think is necessary in that venue. The London one probably topped it as a show, but Brighton felt a bit more raw somehow. But yes, Spirit of St Louis would have been good!

I know what you mean about being hyper-critical of them because expectations are so high but they still knock spots off almost every other band as a live experience.

Jul 7, 2003
Another fun night at the Concord2 last night with Alestorm. Band were on good form and plenty of people who had dressed up for the evening. Not many bands can get their fans to 'woof' along to their songs. Also, at one point the whole middle section of the crowd were sat on the floor rowing. Very silly but great fun for those who don't take their life too seriously.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
That Hookworms gig was the real deal. That set is going to be unbelievable at festivals this year imo.

Really enjoyed it and a perfect end to what was a hugely satisfying day. Great visuals and those last two songs with the added brass were just awesome. A perfect sized venue which I can’t see them playing again- onwards and upwards.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems like Hookworms delivered again. Were Virginia Wings the support and occasional guests with the headliners?

Last edited:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Seems like Hookworms delivered again. Were Virginia Wings the support and occasional guests with the headliners?

Yes and yes. Was as you promised a fantastic set and quite different to when I last saw them in London about a year ago.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Were Virginia Wings the support and occasional guests with the headliners?

Yes. And that song worked really well live I thought. They mucked around with it a bit and its positioning in the set was crucial I thought. Before the gig I had a feeling it might suck the life out of the show. Quite the opposite as it turned out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. And that song worked really well live I thought. They mucked around with it a bit and its positioning in the set was crucial I thought. Before the gig I had a feeling it might suck the life out of the show. Quite the opposite as it turned out.

I totally agree. One of the many positive post-gig comments I made was that Hookworms really understand the dynamics of live sets.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Right I'm going to get a bit high and mighty here but it is for everyone's benefit.

If you are a regular contributor to this thread and live within a reasonable distance of a venue they are playing on their next tour (they play Hope and Ruin on 19 June) then you need to see The Ex or you are an absolute dummy. Best live band in the world that you can see for a reasonable cover price in a c.150 cap venue.

https://soundcloud.com/thequietus/the-ex-fendika-addis-hum/sets

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Lloyd Cole on Saturday in Guildford...looking forward to that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here