Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we "doing a Boro"?

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I can only see us getting 12 more points this season - so yes.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Pretty much this and relegation probably is very likely :)

Why the focus always for some that failure must be a direct result of not spending money or the club “doing it cheap” - when all evidence suggests otherwise (wages, transfer fees, infrastructure, the mounting losses, new contracts for players). It’s baffling.

Are there any other reasons SA

Are you willing to quantify with ££s what is cheap and what isn’t (please include transfer fees, wages, value, player contracts, existing squad value, infrastructure etc etc) - interested to hear.

Do you think Newcastle or Hudds are doing it on the cheap ?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Some of our performances are worse than the dross Boro served up last season, not sure we have a plan B either until that mythical striker arrives.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Yes from the start of the season it looked likely. We are also doing a Blackpool - nice football and a good start but then slipping away now. I’m afraid it’s s long season and we don’t have the squad depth or versatility....

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
rel.JPG

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
This :thumbsup:
Apart from Huddersfield and ourselves, the rest of the teams are hardened PL savvy.
So they know how to fight for survival, we on the other hand are learning and will have to step the education up a bit quicker.
We'll be okay, but I feel we are going to have to fight, right down to the last fixture IMO

Have you seen our final 5 fixtures!? We're doomed if we're still fighting then. Especially considering Palace always seem to have the last laugh against us over the course of a season...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
CH can only work with what he is given BUT tactics and team selection aren't helping i feel - as do others it seems.

Maybe all those Norwich fans weren't quite so wrong.......

And where are Norwich now? Charlton getting rid of Curbishley worked well too.

Yes we are probably the dullest and most negative team in the Premier League but we have done nothing to “deserve” better. We started well but the honeymoon is over. A knee jerk sacking is not needed imo. I think we will go down without a new striker and I am not holding out much hope we’ll get one either, but I’m not blaming CH.

Did I mention that we haven’t had a single “lucky” point this season either?

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

Yes we are probably the dullest and most negative team in the Premier League but we have done nothing to “deserve” better. We started well but the honeymoon is over. A knee jerk sacking is not needed imo. I think we will go down without a new striker and I am not holding out much hope we’ll get one either, but I’m not blaming CH.

i am not in favour of sacking him. Didn't suggest that. I am certain he will be here next season whatever happens.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We need to get above Newcastle and Huddersfield ASAP and stay above them.

So we require singings ready and 'gelled in' before the Southampton game.

And Arsenal need to WIN today, as do Man Utd tomorrow.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
It wouldn't be a surprise if relegated. Our strengths and weaknesses must be well known by opponents and CH is unlikely to tactically do much different so half expecting the same calamitous second half of the season as he did at Norwich. I personally don't think a new striker will make that much difference but we do need back up in case of injuries. I'm enjoying the experience still but would probably enjoy it more if we played 442 against 'weaker opponents' - such a better spectacle when Baldock's playing off Murray/Hemed.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

I was chatting to a bloke about this on the train home yesterday. No, we haven’t had a single ‘lucky’ point yet, but realistically have we deserved one? We don’t show anywhere near enough endeavour to nick a draw or snatch a win. We all feel Bournemouth and Everton snatched lucky points from us but in reality they just kept going, not playing great football but kept attacking and trying. At the moment we definitely aren’t attacking and we seriously appear to have run out of steam and ideas.
To me we look like nailed relegation material, our inability to sign a striker is crippling and embarrassing.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Yes from the start of the season it looked likely. We are also doing a Blackpool - nice football and a good start but then slipping away now. I’m afraid it’s s long season and we don’t have the squad depth or versatility....

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

We were quite lucky that Okaka didn't score for Watford when Ryan dropped that cross in the last minute.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have been pretty positive so far this season, but after watching yesterday's performance against a team that have been so poor this season, there is only one way we are going.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
"Net spend" isn't a healthy way to look at it IMO.

Our record signing has had two good games all season. The left back we spent all summer chasing can't hold down a regular spot (though Christ knows why). In fact the best piece of business we did was our first bit, price and value wise. Groß can't be relied on to keep us up but (IMO again) represents far better value than Izquierdo and Ryan. Meanwhile up front we have a walking calf injury and two other guys who might as well be walking, so little are they endowed in the pace department. And that's before wages.

I don't think net spend - or gross spend - or even Groß spend - should be an indicator of transfer window success or the team's likely survival. It's clear that with some very tough home games to come we are short in attack, our CMs are knackered having played virtually every minute and our much vaunted defence can't stop corners. That's not a good window.

Spot on about net spend - it's is for number crunchers.

But gross spend / squad cost, and wages spend, is in general a determinate of squad quality. Players keeps clubs up.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We are trying to do Premier League survival on the cheap and it doesn’t work.

Given how hard we fought to get here I would have hoped we would give it more of a go but it’s nearly too late now.

I agree with that, but don't think it's too late yet. Chris and the team need to think a bit differently. Yesterday, we should have deployed a different game plan and gone for the jugular a bit more. We didn't need to rely on the patient possession so much and build from the back play.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here