Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
In addition to some belting suggestions recently and repeating [MENTION=6711]Chicken Runner61[/MENTION] 's spot in another thread, "Gomorrah" is absolutely superb. Taking its premise from the film from the book, it's an 11 parter with all the slow burning storylines you could wish for.... oh, read this, it's a great write up with no spoilers:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...box-set-review-naples-gangsters-italian-drama

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Playing 'catch up' with some of these recommendations. Recently finished Luther and The Pacific and am currently half way through True Detective. Any recent recommendations?
And as I'm here.......what do you guys find the best way to download boxsets on to an ipad without going through the expense of buying each series on itunes?

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Gomorrah is brilliant not usually a fan of subtitles but you almost forget them.

Banshee back for season 3 always good for tits n violence, Suits back always entertaining. Walking Dead back early Feb , Justified final season coming up. House of Cards, Vikings also back in Feb....TV heaven.

American Horror season 4 is really good only on Ep 6.

Some I tried and couldn't get on with

Parks & Recreation ok
TURN ok may go back to it
Coppers - Shit acting ditch after 3 eps
The Leftovers

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not seen any mention yet of The Legacy - the Danish series on Sky. Really, really impressed with it. It's a simple premise: a mother dies and there's an argument over her will but it's been spun out into something really dark. What it does particularly well is present all the characters unsympathetically so you're not really on anyone's side

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Just started watching ’12 Monkeys’ – a series based on the Terry Gilliam film, pretty good first episode. Some old favorites have new seasons starting in the US – Americans on January 28, Walking Dead (last half of series 5) starts February 8, Mad Men final season on April 12, 5[SUP]th[/SUP] season of Game of Thrones on April 12. Better Call Saul (a Breaking Bad prequel) starts on February 8[SUP]th[/SUP] and I’m really glad to see that there will be another series of Penny Dreadful on April 26 – I thought the first was excellent.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Probably because it's Danish, and this thread was for obscure US TV choices ;)

Blimey, we should be keeping to the thread title, you must be new here :)

(This thread mentions The Killing, Top of the Lake, The Tunnel and Gomorrah, none of which are American, so it's scarcely an essential requirement)

matt

Mar 19, 2007
For those of you who can access Amazon Instant Video, BOSCH is a good watch. It is a police procedural based in LA and has a lot of familiar faces. A good, deep story that isn't constrained by needing to tie-up a case every episode. It is based on books by Michael Connelly, which I haven't read, but according to some reviews I have seen does a good job of going from book to screen :)

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
For those of you who can access Amazon Instant Video, BOSCH is a good watch. It is a police procedural based in LA and has a lot of familiar faces. A good, deep story that isn't constrained by needing to tie-up a case every episode. It is based on books by Michael Connelly, which I haven't read, but according to some reviews I have seen does a good job of going from book to screen :)

That looks great - good mention. I've read enough of the Bosch books to want to see how they've done it.

I've just watched the first episode of Bloodline, from the people behind Damages (which was brilliant for two series before disintegrating) - a drama about a grown up family in the Florida Keys; the pilot was engrossing, familiar faces (the FBI agent from Wolf of Wall St for starters); it does the Damages trick of showing a flash-forward to keep us wondering how it'll work out, but it's intelligently done so far.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Not seen any mention yet of The Legacy - the Danish series on Sky. Really, really impressed with it. It's a simple premise: a mother dies and there's an argument over her will but it's been spun out into something really dark. What it does particularly well is present all the characters unsympathetically so you're not really on anyone's side

Got that ready to go on your recommendation. Thanks.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Series 1 of Corleone is featuring on SKYGO. Worth getting stuck into? Surely it's going to be a huge disappointment after Gomorrah?

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Has anyone seen Bates Motel, the prequel for the saga of Norman Bates (including his stomach wrenching relationship with his mother, Norma Bates) and Psycho........?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyIxdOctioo&list=RDcyIxdOctioo#t=0

It's in it's third season in the states but started in April in UK on TBC. The young boy from Spiderwick plays the younger Norman Bates. When he says the word, "mother" as in "Where were you, mother?" it sends chills down my spine. Good American accent.

https://youtu.be/7lCWKKNGiKs

the-pros-to-being-a-psychopath-176019901.jpg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here