Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ambitious PL rivals - spending plans

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
In some ways I think it's great we are not spunking money on Championship players at a premium price. We have a good squad which needs a bit of tweaking but which should absolutely be given a chance in the Premier League. We have no real idea yet of how the likes of Stephens, Baldock, Dunk etc will do but I would be disappointed if they weren't given a good opportunity.

We do need more players as our squad is not deep enough and we have money to spend now. I'd only be worried if we didn't sign anyone at all.

And Ince is a prat who would throw a massive hissy fit if he didn't play every week and be on the phone to daddy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In some ways I think it's great we are not spunking money on Championship players at a premium price. We have a good squad which needs a bit of tweaking but which should absolutely be given a chance in the Premier League. We have no real idea yet of how the likes of Stephens, Baldock, Dunk etc will do but I would be disappointed if they weren't given a good opportunity.

We do need more players as our squad is not deep enough and we have money to spend now. I'd only be worried if we didn't sign anyone at all.

And Ince is a prat who would throw a massive hissy fit if he didn't play every week and be on the phone to daddy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Bit of tweaking" = sure fire relegation.

Quite a few new faces are required of top flight quality to give us a chance.

Bournemouth spent a lot, and now Huddersfield are going for it.

My guess is that the Albion are too, it's just that little is sealed to be announced just yet.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah I was going to say - we spent a bit, but not massive for PL standards. Wages wise we were second lowest after Burnley last season I think..

Shame the big money ones haven't worked well, although Mings is getting there now. And King for £1 million is a bit of a bargain.

Last summer Bournemouth OUTSPENT seven other PL clubs;
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10561129/what-did-your-premier-league-club-spend-during-the-transfer-window

And Summer 2015 Bournemouth outspent 11 PL clubs:
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9976568/how-much-did-your-club-spend-premier-league-transfer-window-net-spend-table

Conclusion, money gave Bournemouth all the chance in the world of staying up.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
"Bit of tweaking" = sure fire relegation.

Quite a few new faces are required of top flight quality to give us a chance.

Bournemouth spent a lot, and now Huddersfield are going for it.

My guess is that the Albion are too, it's just that little is sealed to be announced just yet.

Bournemouth and Huddersfield are/have splashed the cash because their team/squad weren't good enough. Our management obviously believe our squad isn't far off being able to compete.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Huddersfield have had a £7.2million bid for Tom Ince rejected by Derby. The newly-promoted club are expected to return with an improved offer for the former England U21 winger.

http://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

Hudds chucking it around - I wouldn't worry too much, if they want to go spunking big bucks on champ players I'm not sure they'll prosper....

Agreed. Why spend even a modest fee (by PL standards) on a player who doesn't exactly set the Championship alight these days and hasn't shown himself to be good enough for the Premier League in the past? I'd like to think Albion are more prepared, have a better scouting network and will only spend on players better than what we have. We still might be shopping in the bargain bucket comparatively - but there are bargains to be had.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed. Why spend even a modest fee (by PL standards) on a player who doesn't exactly set the Championship alight these days and hasn't shown himself to be good enough for the Premier League in the past? I'd like to think Albion are more prepared, have a better scouting network and will only spend on players better than what we have. We still might be shopping in the bargain bucket comparatively - but there are bargains to be had.
I guess it's the difference between starting the season as perennial play-off losers and potential relegation fodder.

I don't imagine for one minute (although plenty on here seem to think differently) these deals happen over night.
The Albion have had enough time to practise Premier League signings to now be able to gets some deals over the line.
As well as the best part of 2 months scouting players in competitive games.

Huddersfield have had a month, in which time have their first team have returned to their parent clubs.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I guess it's the difference between starting the season as perennial play-off losers and potential relegation fodder.

I don't imagine for one minute (although plenty on here seem to think differently) these deals happen over night.
The Albion have had enough time to practise Premier League signings to now be able to gets some deals over the line.
As well as the best part of 2 months scouting players in competitive games.

Huddersfield have had a month, in which time have their first team have returned to their parent clubs.

And they are about to realise with Mooy how tough it is ...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10561129/what-did-your-premier-league-club-spend-during-the-transfer-window

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9976568/how-much-did-your-club-spend-premier-league-transfer-window-net-spend-table

Outspent in "transfer fees". What about wages ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I take your point re the 'ambition' angle - fair play - but Chris Wood hardly set the Premier League alight playing three times for WBA and seven for Leicester City scoring one goal in the process.

Neither did Murray to be fair and he looks like going into the season as one of our main strikers.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Outspent in "transfer fees". What about wages ?

Their own accounts at Companies House for 2015/16 revealed their wages bill at £59.6m (their first PL season).

I can't find an accurate table .... it's the sort of thing El Presidente has up his sleeve.

Fake tables on the internet give much lower wages for Bournemouth.

For 2016/17, we'll have to wait until January.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bournemouth and Huddersfield are/have splashed the cash because their team/squad weren't good enough. Our management obviously believe our squad isn't far off being able to compete.

Bournemouth destroyed the Championship in their promotion season.

I think our management will spend heavily this summer. It's early doors and little gets leaked beforehand.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard

ok - glad it worked out ok in the end :) You have got to do it when the money keeps going up each season. Just pointing out there is value dotted about too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Strange, I am sure the record books will show we got 3 more points then them this season compared to when they "destroyed" the Championship!

They spent big to bring in loads of players to survive the PL, succesfully.

But our extra three points means that "just a few tweaks and we'll be fine".

Good luck with that strategy for staying up. Thank Christ that the professionals TB/PB/CH/Winstanley control transfers.

Bournemouth were champions, goals scored 98 and GD of 53.
We came second, 74 goals and GD 34.
Both great seasons, but they were great in 2014/15 with Russian money lubricating it all.

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
They spent big to bring in loads of players to survive the PL, succesfully.

But our extra three points means that "just a few tweaks and we'll be fine".

Good luck with that strategy for staying up. Thank Christ that the professionals TB/PB/CH/Winstanley control transfers.

Bournemouth were champions, goals scored 98 and GD of 53.
We came second, 74 goals and GD 34.
Both great seasons, but they were great in 2014/15 with Russian money lubricating it all.
Would be interested to know how many of their big money signings still get a regular game.
It isn't all about splashing loads of money, but about finding quality - which was always my point against your "we need to spend loads or we aren't ambitious" attitude!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here