Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

You must really hate unemployed Brits who could use as much help as possible getting back in the labour market If you think that is a war on foreigners.
why werent you moaning when the levy was introduced? seems a bit late to wet your pants because the charge is going up.

ps. there is no war on foreigners, its all invented in your sneering,chip on the shoulder head.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
for now. and if it rises 1, 2, 3% in the coming years? which it shirely would if you want to control the inflation throwing so much cash into the economy would do. that graph would suddenly go south again. esitmated deficit for 2016/2017 is £14Bn, just about to get clear and start paying back the debt... Labour would make it -39bn the first year.

the bigger problem is the open cheque nature of this policy, no specific targeted infrastructure projects, just a promise to throwing cash into the economy and hope projects needing £25bn every year will be economically productive or even needed. how many hospitals, schools, roads can you build for that each year? quite a lot, and they'd be empty because the promise to maintain "Fiscal Credibility Rule" and not borrow for running costs. see its not quite all together sensible or even practical. there may be good policy in Labour's manifesto, and its honest on tax and spend, but this one is madness.

Labour is planning to borrow £25bn in their first year, the Tories have borrowed £700bn in 7 years. Its not madness, particularly because the Labour spending is targeted towards economy-stimulating infrastructure projects and finally, hopefiully, renationalising our essential services. Whereas the Tory borrowing is used to offset tax cuts, largely targeted at big business and the well-off, whilst clearly not borrowing enough to prevent massive cuts to welfare, the NHS and education.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Thing is, I'm starting to look it more seriously, and it it doesn't look that bad right now....

Look harder. They have been an embarrassing incompetent shambles in opposition even if some of their policies are appealing I'm not sure how anyone can really believe they would succesfully deliver them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Labour is planning to borrow £25bn in their first year, the Tories have borrowed £700bn in 7 years. Its not madness, particularly because the Labour spending is targeted towards economy-stimulating infrastructure projects and finally, hopefiully, renationalising our essential services. Whereas the Tory borrowing is used to offset tax cuts, largely targeted at big business and the well-off, whilst clearly not borrowing enough to prevent massive cuts to welfare, the NHS and education.

yes, the Tories borrowed to maintain the size of the state, the welfare and pensions budget in particular, the alternative being real cuts. the point is the £250bn isnt targeted at anything, they hand wave at a couple of projects that would cost a small fraction, and could largely be addressed by private investment if allowed. btw nationalisation of rail and utilities is in addition to this, and then the house building programme too (support that, but someone will have to fund it). the main issue is the overall effect of all this, it will certainly be a boom to the economy, with associated increase in inflation and interest rates, not a free lunch.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
yes, the Tories borrowed to maintain the size of the state, the welfare and pensions budget in particular, the alternative being real cuts. the point is the £250bn isnt targeted at anything, they hand wave at a couple of projects that would cost a small fraction, and could largely be addressed by private investment if allowed. btw nationalisation of rail and utilities is in addition to this, and then the house building programme too (support that, but someone will have to fund it). the main issue is the overall effect of all this, it will certainly be a boom to the economy, with associated increase in inflation and interest rates, not a free lunch.

OK, well I think we need it, I accept this can be debated. I stand by the point that we've borrowed huge amounts for decades and our economy has by and large done well during this time, so we shouldn't be scared of future borrowing.

and no, the alternative to the Tories plan was not real cuts, it was maintaining tax levels to fund services, not having to find cuts to services/borrowing to support their tax cuts. I think we can all agree on tat?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Look harder. They have been an embarrassing incompetent shambles in opposition even if some of their policies are appealing I'm not sure how anyone can really believe they would succesfully deliver them.

Well, I certainly doubt they'll be in a position to deliver them. Yes, they have appeared a shambles in opposition, but memories are short and this manifesto launch has by and large been a success. Like I say, I've no doubt your lot will win, and probably win handsomely, but be careful. If your election strategy is simply to point at the other lot and laugh, don't be surprised if it comes back and bites you on the arse once people take that closer look.

President Hilary Clinton might disagree with that analysis, I suppose.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
As long as it doesn't hugely increase corp tax to drive out businesses employing millions from the Uk, introduce spiteful personal taxes on high earners with a similar effect, or embark on dogmatic renationalisations, then it will be better for the country than the 1980's hard left manifesto revealed yesterday.

a £400 a year increase on personal tax for people earning £80,000? A level of corporation tax lower than at any point during the Thatcher, Major or Blair governments? Spiteful *******s!!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Well, I certainly doubt they'll be in a position to deliver them. Yes, they have appeared a shambles in opposition, but memories are short and this manifesto launch has by and large been a success. Like I say, I've no doubt your lot will win, and probably win handsomely, but be careful. If your election strategy is simply to point at the other lot and laugh, don't be surprised if it comes back and bites you on the arse once people take that closer look.

President Hilary Clinton might disagree with that analysis, I suppose.

Hardly 'my lot' .. didn't vote for them in the last two General Elections (but will this time). I don't think the Conservatives are only going on the attack, May seems astute enough to realise Labour's lurch to the left leaves plenty of parking space for her Tory Tanks on centre left territory

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Tim Farron has lumped Mrs May alongside Trump and Le Pen for allowing the Tories to be taken over by UKIPs agenda.

It would seem however that Mrs May is in fact a Cuckoo given that she has also taken previous Labour ideas.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
And more of the Tories pandering to the former UKIP supporters

Extra charges for businesses that employ workers from overseas and higher charges for foreigners who use the NHS.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
As long as it doesn't hugely increase corp tax to drive out businesses employing millions from the Uk, introduce spiteful personal taxes on high earners with a similar effect, or embark on dogmatic renationalisations, then it will be better for the country than the 1980's hard left manifesto revealed yesterday.

The Tory policies of the last few years have been MASSIVELY detrimental to small businesses. How anyone can see them as the party of the self made person any more is beyond me. Their policies only favour the largest companies and the richest people. I see this first hand as an accountant for the self employed and small companies.

Resetting the headline rate of CT to a sensible level and taxing the highest earners slightly more is hardly "hard left" policy. It actually makes perfect sense.

I'm no Corbyn supporter, I think he's useless, but economically your post makes no sense whatsoever.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
And more of the Tories pandering to the former UKIP supporters

Extra charges for businesses that employ workers from overseas and higher charges for foreigners who use the NHS.

Good policies TBH although changes to social care won't go down well with the blue rinse brigade. I can hear nashing of teath from DM readers all the way over in Pavilion.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Here we go, a long series of quotes from the completely impartial Guardian..... all posted by the political bed wetters on here... hardly a credible group either, people who think the IRA and Union loving Red Jezza is a fit and proper authority to run the country..... laughable.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here