Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Allardyce to be interviewed for the Wolves job

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I'd certainly not swap Hughton for Allardyce, but fortunately we are not currently in that position.

IF Hughton had gone though, and we were searching for a manager, I certainly wouldn't rule him out. He might not be a bloke you'd want to share a pint of Merlot with, but he gets teams up, and he keeps teams up. Thats what would be top of my list of requirements. Being in it together is lovely of course, just as long as the end justifies the means.

His West Ham team in our first season at the Amex was the best-organised I reckon I've ever seen (in the games against us, that is).

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Logically he is 62 years old and a wealthy man why does he want or need the hassle that comes from the Wolves owners. Better off just biding his time until the right job comes calling sgain.

He is a local lad, from Dudley. That is one reason.

Not sure the bunch of flair players they bought in the summer would fit Sam's approach, mind. They showed at the Amex they have some ability but are yet to gel as a team. Maybe Sam is the man to make that happen?

PG

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He is a local lad, from Dudley. That is one reason.

Not sure the bunch of flair players they bought in the summer would fit Sam's approach, mind. They showed at the Amex they have some ability but are yet to gel as a team. Maybe Sam is the man to make that happen?

PG

Does returning to near his place of birth overcome the erratic behaviour and ways of the owner. I would think not.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I can't believe I am going to stick up for the man, but that's a slightly disingenuous way of putting it. You are correct, but the job he did for the FA was largely irrelevant to their role in establishing the rules he was talking about. So it's not quite as crooked as that makes it sound.

The job I do is largely irrelevant to other parts of my business. If I were to undermine those other parts of the business then it would be an act of misconduct - gross even, if it were about breaking standards and rules. There's nothing disingenuous about it. His employer was the FA. He undermined them. End of story. It was very wrong. A breach of contract.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The job I do is largely irrelevant to other parts of my business. If I were to undermine those other parts of the business then it would be an act of misconduct - gross even, if it were about breaking standards and rules. There's nothing disingenuous about it. His employer was the FA. He undermined them. End of story. It was very wrong. A breach of contract.

Its nothing that couldn't have been resolved by a grovelling apology, it was nothing THAT serious. All he did was allude to the fact that there are ways of circumventing the rules on 3rd party ownership, and that it goes on - facts which in isolation are hardly back page headlines, everybody knew that already. He was stupid getting caught running his mouth off about it, and yes its embarrassing for all parties. But the FA have thrown the baby out with the bathwater over all this, it would've been tomorrows fish and chip paper within a week.

And now we've got Southgate.

Yay.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

I don't disagree with that - and his employers clearly felt it was beyond resolution.

I just think it's important to distinguish what he did from the sort of "white-collar crime" that was implied, in that:

1. He wasn't using using any insider knowledge or role that he played in drafting the rules to help undermine them
2. His line of work is in managing football clubs, where I'd imagine all managers have various issues with FA regulations and dare I say ways to manipulate them. He just happens to be on a short secondment (and let's face it, that's all England managers ever are) to manage the one side that is directly overseen by them. Yes he was employed by the FA, but not a long-term member of their organisation or policy-making.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does that mean you actually think Tim Sherwood would be a better choice? I was being sarcastic suggesting he wasn't as good, you know!

I am unsure and have mixed feelings about his ability I am not sure that he is as good as he says he is and it is a matter of time and trys as to whether he will be.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can't believe I am going to stick up for the man, but that's a slightly disingenuous way of putting it. You are correct, but the job he did for the FA was largely irrelevant to their role in establishing the rules he was talking about. So it's not quite as crooked as that makes it sound.
Yes, a grovelling apology and a hefty fine would have been my preferred outcome - with him continuing as England manager.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I guess I'm just setting my business ethics bar a little too high then [MENTION=2654]ATFC Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION]

In other jobs, in the position in which he occupied, he'd have run the same risk of being shown the door. He was shown the door. The lesson? Behave ethically. His answer in that situation was simple - these rules are there to ensure fair competition and prevent unscrupulous individuals capitalising upon individuals and clubs. He should have told those in question that they sounded unscrupulous and left the room.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up in China, the CSL are throwing money at football at the moment, and he clearly likes the pound notes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd like to think our club would never touch him given the same situation. Hope he fails wherever he goes

I think it's pretty clear Bloom doesn't favour long-ball football so you can sleep assured the likes of Sam Alladyce will never be employed by Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here