Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being in your 40s

theboybilly

My advice would be to put as much aside towards your retirement. I left work at age 61 in December with a reasonable lump sum (some has been invested, some paid of the mortgage and some getting the house in as good nick as possible so hopefully no unexpected big bills) My work pension is better than average but I have to be careful as I don't get my State Pension for another 4 years (so you need to think about that as you will be waiting until your 70 or even later). But you have to enjoy life too so make sure you have plenty of fun an try not to let life's obstacles get you down to much - there's always somebody worse off. Don't go out having regrets.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I am now 4010 and the grumpiest I have ever been. I don't really want for much other than a good diet!

On the upside I am more optimistic than I have been for at least 10 years even though I have already sold the convertible! About to start a new life overseas and take a well researched punt on running my own business. I have always firmly believed that you reach your zenith career wise by about 45, so to have another target is very invigorating. Add that to being with your nearest and dearest far more than I have been over the last 10 years and the future is bright, or maybe even orange.

I feel very lucky, and maybe not everybody gets a second chance, but to feel as good as you can about yourself in the late 40's, early 50's I suggest finding a fresh goal and enjoying those who mean most to you.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I'm 28 in a couple of months, what's your advice for life?

Sleep with as many women as you can in your 20s and 30s. When you're on your death bed you won't think 'i wish id slept with fewer women'.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm 47, and it's all fairly OK. There are a few problems, aches and issues but, fingers crossed, none to veer things too far off the path.
Oh, and this is a popular thread.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sleep with as many women as you can in your 20s and 30s. When you're on your death bed you won't think 'i wish id slept with fewer women'.
Unless you're dying from an STD.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
For commuters being in your 40s you are still able to sprint to make the train and are willing to push your way onto an already packed train, so that you are not delayed. However you start to put more effort into the train home, rather than the train to work and as you approach the end of your 40s you just wait for the next train when going into work.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Unless you're dying from an STD.

:wozza: was about to circulate this (the previous post of course)in the direction of [MENTION=27125]Wrong-Direction[/MENTION]..... perhaps in this libel and law suit era,maybe i'll add some small print

***just do it anyway :wave:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'll add my support for the cheerful 60s postings. I think I had my lows in my 40s - career bollocks, feeling left behind compared with your mates, money worries, kids going through difficult phases and the feeling that you should be at some sort of peak. As long as the health holds & you sorted out mortgages/pensions and stuff your 60s are OK - I am as fit as I was in my 40s, better off and phasing out from the rat race. One of the best things is that I've in effect swapped the parent role for a grandparent role - this is much more fun.
So - quite a bit to look forward to, if not the golden uplands that we'd all wish for.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I feel at home on this thread.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
As a 44 year old lady I am fairly contented, I have a well paid job that I don't hate, a nice home, great husband and fantastic 14 year old daughter. I think the thing is I look at what I have and realise that I am bloody lucky. My fears are not about getting more but keeping what I have. I realise at any moment things could turn to shit and that was not something that bothered me when I was younger.

I have never known so much and never felt so stupid, having knowledge only makes me realise what I don't know.

The menopause just sounds hideous, but I am choosing not to think about it and deal with it when it happens.

Family, health and having somewhere to live are the only truly important things. Oh and The Albion

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The menopause just sounds hideous, but I am choosing not to think about it and deal with it when it happens.
Whatever happens, make sure you start a thread.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
60 is the new 40....

I'll go along with that. I'm 60 next week and have to say I don't really feel any different to when I was 40 and my mind is still in my 20's but with a lot more experience. Luckily I have stayed healthy and long may that continue. I remember when my grand parents were 60 they were ancient.....but that may just be my perception at the time and I may seem ancient to the younger generation :smile:

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I am 42, I gotta admit I could be healthier, a tad overweight mainly due to beer but have given up smoking and starting to clean up a bit. I have a decent job but have probably peaked career wise where I am so need to move on to something new, which at 42 is quite hard, that troubles me. I would say my forties so far had been rather uneventful, me and the wife were enjoying lots of holidays and generally living well, we had accepted that we were probably never going to have kids so was trying hard to find some meaning to life when suddenly after numerous failed Ivf cycles we suddenly found ourselves thrust into the world of parenthood. My amazing little miracle of a daughter was born in June and is now 4 months old. Life now has a completely different feel to it, and when she is 18 I will be 60. Fair to say I'm elated, worried, scared excited, and so many other emotions, the one thing that really has rammed home though is health, I need the energy now more than ever!

I never thought I would become a Dad in my forties, and I can't wait to enjoy all the fun times with my daughter.

A big plus when you get to your forties is that you learn to not tolerate dick heads and time wasters in your life, which means you usually end up with a finite group of decent friends. [emoji106]

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
I turn 40 in 2 weeks just can t believe it where has the time gone when I turned 30 I was single living in a shared house traveling all the time going round my mums on sunday for dinner now I have a misses and a 7 year old and mortgage. what a differnce 10 years make

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Worst thing about being in your 40's is that you are nearly a peado for looking at a girl in her early twenties...obviously wanted to type 18 but felt like a peado :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here