Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Missing a train coz a connecting train went belly up

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Now, if the question was being asked regarding travel by plane I would have all the answers but on trains I don’t have a clue.

Tomorrow I managed to snag an amazing cheap 1st return on Virgin from Euston to Liverpool for less than £200 for 4 of us. We are booked on the 1003 out of Euston. If I was to buy these tickets on the day they would have cost £100’s more.

The first direct train to VIC tomorrow from Shoreham is the 0819 which is due in at 0930. Plenty of time for the 12 minute tube ride. But if it’s late or cancelled I clearly don’t have any other outs (unless I know it’s going to be late or cancelled earlier, in which case my wife will drive us to Brighton to grab the 0820)

My only other option from Shoreham is a train leaving best part of 50 minutes earlier which involves 2 changes and in the end, only arrives at VIC 10 mins or so before the one I plan to get.

I think I’ve already made my mind up to chance it, but I’d be interested to hear from anyone in the know.

91810a53895f1abbae32c8cf82066d0f.jpg

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I thought you knew it from your know all 'advice', don't be giving out shite advice without knowing the FACTS

Wow, ok. Why not try to be helpful then? The FACTS as you call them are not available to the people buying these tickets, and travelling on these trains. So give us the FACTS, how long is considered 'sufficient' to travel across London? As far as I can see 33 minutes is sufficient time to travel from Victoria to Euston, but if it is not, should there not be somewhere within the conditions of carriage that states what is a sufficient amount of time?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Wow, ok. Why not try to be helpful then? The FACTS as you call them are not available to the people buying these tickets, and travelling on these trains. So give us the FACTS, how long is considered 'sufficient' to travel across London? As far as I can see 33 minutes is sufficient time to travel from Victoria to Euston, but if it is not, should there not be somewhere within the conditions of carriage that states what is a sufficient amount of time?

Check the journey planner and it gives the 1010 departure from Euston if you catch the 0819 so if you miss the 1003 it is tough luck

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Check the journey planner and it gives the 1010 departure from Euston if you catch the 0819 so if you miss the 1003 it is tough luck

OK, so if the journey planner does not give the journey as an option when crossing London then it is not considered viable. That is good to know, thank you.

I certainly buy my tickets separately without allowing that long most of the time heading south to home games. Not so much heading north as Southern are so unreliable, I always allow a bit of wriggle room for their inevitable **** ups. Might have to rethink it in both directions in the future.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
OK, so if the journey planner does not give the journey as an option when crossing London then it is not considered viable. That is good to know, thank you.

I certainly buy my tickets separately without allowing that long most of the time heading south to home games. Not so much heading north as Southern are so unreliable, I always allow a bit of wriggle room for their inevitable **** ups. Might have to rethink it in both directions in the future.

If it's on the journey planner it is a valid connection and you're covered if the first train runs late, old King Cole won't be if the 0819 runs late

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
If it's on the journey planner it is a valid connection and you're covered if the first train runs late, old King Cole won't be if the 0819 runs late

Again thank you. That is clear now.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Get the 0719 from Shoreham have a FULL English in London and no stress

That what I would do.

Last time I did something like this, the train broke down and I had to transfer to the Gatwick Express.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thanks for this. The view i had only showed the 2 earlier trains. The 0719 is the third earlier one. I will talk to the troops. Any suggestions for brekkie?

Not sure if the greasy spoon by the tube district line entrance is open, should be. Don't go to the Sports Bar Grill, did that for the Gooner game, overpriced and shit.

See you on the 07:19

theboybilly

Just get an earlier train via Brighton and give yourself a bit of Southern ****-up time. 7.30 onwards is hardly a late start and it'll be worth it for a stress-free journey.

This all day long. You are asking for trouble setting off for Victoria after 8 o'clock. I'd be on a train at not much after 6 and drinking coffee on Euston concourse at 9. Why take the risk?

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Be aware that London Victoria has been evacuated for the 2nd time in as many days, this time due to a power cut. Services are being diverted to London Bridge at the moment, hopefully it will be resolved by the time people are due to be arriving to get connections to Liverpool.

Cheers for the tips. Glad I got the earlier train.

VIC was open and back to normal by time we got there. Found a good cafe near Euston Sq tube station. Not sure if this was the one mentioned.

Now just an hour from Liverpool. Sensing a Murray Hatrick today!

theboybilly

VIC was open and back to normal by time we got there. Found a good cafe near Euston Sq tube station. Not sure if this was the one mentioned.

Have a great day. What's the plan once you've arrived at Lime Street - taxi to Goodison?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

If Glenn nets a treble, that should guarantee him an England call up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here