Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football on Brighton beach.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Dies anyone else remember that strange short lived footie competition that was held on Brighton beach in the summer, somewhere adjacent to Marina Parade l seem to remember, and possibly seven a side?

Eric Cantona was a great exponent of it l think, and beach football is taken pretty seriously in parts of Europe. It was played on sand, several tons of which was needed to form the pitch. The Albion fielded a team or two for a couple of years l think, and then the competition seemed to die a death. I suppose l must be going back ten years or more?

I really enjoyed watching it, and would love to see it again.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
it was great. It the the Kronenburg something or other.

I always used to love the 5 a side tournament that they used have at the Brighton centre every year with all the county league sides & an exhibition match between Brighton & Palace or Southampton etc. Id love to see that make a comeback !!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I was telling the Mrs about that last night. Can't remember what it was called or what happened to it either.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
16 years ago...

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/6758616.Cantona__Brighton_rocks_for_beach_soccer/

7e0b9696574483e6399b865083c0642c.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dies anyone else remember that strange short lived footie competition that was held on Brighton beach in the summer, somewhere adjacent to Marina Parade l seem to remember, and possibly seven a side?

Eric Cantona was a great exponent of it l think, and beach football is taken pretty seriously in parts of Europe. It was played on sand, several tons of which was needed to form the pitch. The Albion fielded a team or two for a couple of years l think, and then the competition seemed to die a death. I suppose l must be going back ten years or more?

I really enjoyed watching it, and would love to see it again.

Several tons indeed - and the rest I guess! Wonder how Cantona or Le Tiss would have coped on a steeply sloping shingle bank, the usual Brighton beach option. Might have been a bit interesting though...........................

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I managed to get a couple of autographs from Eric. His great days were well behind him by then, but he was mercurial in his prime. One of my footballing heroes, along with Le Tiss (who also played), Zola, and El Abd. Why isn’t Adam still playing for Egypt? He’s way better than Salah.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here