Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good idea. I was planning a bit of Parkrun tourism this coming Saturday (up North: Guildford!) but maybe 26th May? (If you can't do 26th I can switch to the 19th, no prob.) Worthing's good for me of course.

Did the Portslade Hedgehoppers 5 yesterday. Out from the back of Portslade to Devils Dyke. Not as hilly or wet as I feared (I am a total wimp) but very narrow paths and difficult to overtake if you lined up too far back. Great little run though. Aimed at 40.00 and got 40.13 so OK. 5 miles feel a long way when all you do is Parkruns!

It’s one of the West Sussex Fun Run league events........they’re all very similar. Mostly offroad, always sociable and friendly and very cheap to enter. Open to all, you don’t have to be associated to a member club - fixture list here (ignore ‘2016’ in the link, it takes you to 2018) :

http://westsussexfunrunleague.org.uk/2016-fixture-list/

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Good point. Avoids a play off.

Can't argue with any of that, always hated the play-offs!

Thanks for updating the table.

1 second improvement programmed in for Saturday, I've lost about 16lbs in weight over the last three and a bit months, hopefully this will contribute to my 1 second this weekend and the medium term attack on the PB...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
....although should Ben Elton go above Greg Bobkin? Same time, same AG, alphabetical order? One of you will have to run faster next week............

Greg keeps the honour for me based on a faster PB. It seems like the nearest thing we have to goal difference.

1 second improvement programmed in for Saturday, I've lost about 16lbs in weight over the last three and a bit months, hopefully this will contribute to my 1 second this weekend and the medium term attack on the PB...

Thanks all – although by the sounds of it, I won't be holding onto that position for long. Without re-jigging my training programme, I don't have a window for a flat-out 5k – this weekend it's six miles straight off a 30/35-mile bike ride, for example. Maybe something to aim for at some point – I'm a stone lighter since Brighton Marathon, so hopefully that will help a bit. Not really much running to report though apart from a nice little trot up the Adur the other morning. Intervals tomorrow :sick:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

As [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] says the Prom or Worthing may take 15 seconds off your Hove Park time. Why not join us at Worthing Saturday week?

I will be aiming at a SB at the Prom on Saturday but a freak 20:59 in February is proving hard to chase down.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I plan to add some times to the table thingy. Do the times have to be proper races or can I get some times from Strava? I’m guessing the former?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Turns out restricting running is making it more enjoyable – or maybe I'm just more focussed? Following my river antics on Wednesday, I had 40 minutes of intervals today, at a sub-8min/mile average pace – big improvement on last week's session. I think the difference came in picking up the pace between sprints – not easy, but somehow I managed to get it done.

Now training six days a week, I can easily see how people become addicted to exercise!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Rested a sprained ankle first half of the week and felt sluggish today with a gentle 3 miler. Will set off at 6:50 mile pace tomorrow at the Prom and see what happens. Will either be knackered or well rested. I have no idea how this decrepit body will react.

Notice Southern Water are now digging up the 40' hole again on the A259 that they had dug before the marathon...............

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’d highly recommend the book ‘today we die a little’ which is a book on Czech distance runner Emil Zatopek.

A really good mix of running and politics during a very interesting time in Europe. As a runner he pioneered interval training techniques and won a clean sweep of 5k, 10k & the marathon at a single Olympic Games. The marathon being his debut at the distance.

Probably the best running book I’ve ever read.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’d highly recommend the book ‘today we die a little’ which is a book on Czech distance runner Emil Zatopek.

A really good mix of running and politics during a very interesting time in Europe. As a runner he pioneered interval training techniques and won a clean sweep of 5k, 10k & the marathon at a single Olympic Games. The marathon being his debut at the distance.

Used to read a lot about him as an 11 year old. Great runner. Does the book include him standing up against Russian tanks in 1956?
Watching this clip from London Olympics 1948 does show how much athletics has moved on in terms of professionalism. It looks more like a NSC challenge but great Emil finish....or is it?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Used to read a lot about him as an 11 year old. Great runner. Does the book include him standing up against Russian tanks in 1956?
Watching this clip from London Olympics 1948 does show how much athletics has moved on in terms of professionalism. It looks more like a NSC challenge but great Emil finish....or is it?

Yes covers the Russian invasion and goes into great depths his political battles post running career. I knew you’d be aware of him, coming from the same era and all that!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes covers the Russian invasion and goes into great depths his political battles post running career. I knew you’d be aware of him, coming from the same era and all that!

My favourite was Alf Tupper from The Victor comic.

61vx03p3rIL._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I'm currently reading "Marathon Man", the autobiography by American runner Bill Rodgers. It's a really enjoyable read in which he talks about how he got into running, interspersed with a detailed account of his first Boston Marathon victory in 1975. It's so interesting to read about how different it was back then. Road running was seen as a very odd pursuit, and he'd get a lot of abuse from people on the street. He really helped change things, and brought running into the mainstream.

He was also a conscientious objector during the Vietnam War. That's interesting to read about on its own.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Hot parkrun this morning, avoiding tents and fences erected for the County Show.

Not a time to move me up the table, but a confidece booster that the injury picked up during Brighton Marathon has subsided.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Lot of NSC at Hove Prom this morning. Results not in but a lot of SBs registered.
Very happy that I successfully Emil Zatopeked [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] chasing down a 40m lead in the last half a mile.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Worthing: 21:21. SB 77.13%. Sharpening up for next week! Prefect conditions so think I should have been a bit quicker.

20:32 at 76.79% for me. i knew that 4:29:00 marathon would pay me back! About my all time highest AG but ran holding a little back. Very happy with that.
Narrowed the gap a little on the AG but I think you'll continue to press ahead.
Look forward to seeing you at Worthing next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here