Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Former Brightonian set to become President of Costa Rica?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Not me unfortunately. But Carlos Alvarado Quesada a former University of Sussex alumni (2008) is currently battling it out to become the next President of Costa Rica with elections to be held on Sunday.

Not knowing much about Costa Rican politics I did a little research as the election campaigns began and this candidate obviously caught my attention having studied in Sussex.

Turns out Carlos is a rather progressive candidate of the centre left with emphasis on business, social welfare and human rights the backbone of his campaign. He was also the front man of several progressive rock bands as well as a keen novelist who's books include A Season in Brighton. (I haven't read it yet but will try and get my hands on a copy).

He is up against Fabricio Alvarado Muñoz who is a former Christian singer turned evangelical preacher, turned conservative politician who's campaign seems to be based on opposition to same sex marriage and little else. (A Costa Rican court recently ruled it should be legally recognised but he has vowed to overturn the ruling).

Unfortunately Fabricio is ahead by around 7 points in the polls.

Let's hope the Brighton boy Carlos pulls through.

I imagine most people on here couldn't give two hoots about Costa Rican politics but I thought his Brighton connections interesting and wonder how our city shaped his political views. If you've read this far well done!

:bigwave:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8396918 said:
Not me unfortunately. But Carlos Alvarado Quesada a former University of Sussex alumni (2008) is currently battling it out to become the next President of Costa Rica with elections to be held on Sunday.

Not knowing much about Costa Rican politics I did a little research as the election campaigns began and this candidate obviously caught my attention having studied in Sussex.

Turns out Carlos is a rather progressive candidate of the centre left with emphasis on business, social welfare and human rights the backbone of his campaign. He was also the front man of several progressive rock bands as well as a keen novelist who's books include A Season in Brighton. (I haven't read it yet but will try and get my hands on a copy).

He is up against Fabricio Alvarado Muñoz who is a former Christian singer turned evangelical preacher, turned conservative politician who's campaign seems to be based on opposition to same sex marriage and little else. (A Costa Rican court recently ruled it should be legally recognised but he has vowed to overturn the ruling).

I imagine most people on here couldn't give two hoots about Costa Rican politics but I thought his Brighton connections interesting and wonder how our city shaped his political views. If you've read this far well done!

Was he born in Brighton?
Did he grow up in Brighton?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

There must be some sort of NSC vote rigging that can be organised. :albion2:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

You could always name you're new restaurant after him, if you're still planning on doing so in the UK :)

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
121px-Carlos_Alvarado_Quesada_%28cropped_2%29.jpg

Quesada

"What do you mean I'm losing by 7 points? How can that be? I am Brightonian!

I look so much smarter than my opponent."

130px-F._Alvarado.png

Muñoz

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-latin-america-43569719/costa-rica-polls-people-hate-us-we-might-move-to-spain[/video]

Come on Carlos Alvarado Quesada you can beat the other Alvarado.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here