Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] JFC

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yep. Agreed. He came on as a sub on Thursday and it was his quick free kick, a killer ball if you like, that set up England's only goal.

(2.20" in, in these highlights)
https://youtu.be/WLlvJKl6OUk

Thanks for this. That was a killer ball for the goal, and I can't think of too many players in the Championship who could play one like that. Also, is that Solly hitting the post near the end? If so, that's a welcome -- and, in my view, a soon-to-be-more-regular -- sign of composure from him.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
JFC needs to be playing regularly at this stage in his career if he's going to progress - for me he isn't good enough to hold down a place in our first 11 and is behind Ince and Crofts in the midfield areas imo. He needs to be loaned out for a run of games now and see how he gets on - Lge 1 would be ok for him

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Thanks for this. That was a killer ball for the goal, and I can't think of too many players in the Championship who could play one like that. Also, is that Solly hitting the post near the end? If so, that's a welcome -- and, in my view, a soon-to-be-more-regular -- sign of composure from him.

Quite. Some people on here don't have a clue, the likes who also asked for McCourt to play more games last year, who said Dunk would never be a championship centre back when he made youthful mistakes or that Barnes would never play (let alone score) in the premiership.

It's a myth that Jake only passes sideways. Check out stats websites, like whoscored, to see for yourself. He's still a very young player who has loads of potential. And I'm so pleased we have Kayal now - what a perfect example for Jake to learn off.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
JFC needs to get back some of his arrognace and swagger which he had when he first came through, as he has matured he seems to have lost that.

In addition, he needs to put himself around a bit more, something which Kayal, Stephans and Crofts all can do, what he really lacks is that bit of pace to nip in and take the ball or to take someone on.

Of the three which came through at the same time, Solly had the pace, Ince had the strengh and JFC had the technique.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He wasn't. He was on the subs bench for the first 2 games of the finals and was in the first 11 for the final group game against Italy.
He went from the starting XI to the bench. Dropped, lowered, relegated - call it what you will. True, he was reinstated for the final game, but it still looks as if it was thought there were better options when the 'big matches' (i.e. the finals) came along. Still, he's back in the frame again this season, which is all to the good.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
People are always far too harsh on our young players.

He's only 21 still, lots of players still haven't made a 1st team debut by that age.

He doesn't desperately need to be playing regular games yet. I think he's still finding out what kind of midfielder he's going to become. A couple of seasons as an understudy to some experienced midfielders won't do him any harm at all. I agree with [MENTION=30847]Megazone[/MENTION] that playing every week with Gardner and Ince probably hurt his progress last season.

If everyone just chills out and lets him develop without getting on his back all the time I'm sure he'll be ready to be playing every week by the time he's 24/25. The same goes for Solly and Ince.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It's clear that JFC has something about him, our system just doesn't quite suit him at the moment. You can't really judge him too much based on last season, was played out of position by Hyypia and his confidence was probably shot down. Would be a big mistake to get rid of him permanently... but some 'fans' are way too quick to dismiss young players

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Expect Jake to have a similar season to Rohan: ie bench for 75% of it. Need to protect a lead? Rohan's your man. Need someone to supply the strikers/wingers for a late assault? Jake will come on.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I think we should give him another season and if hes still not up to scratch, him playing for the U21 will surely add a good few quid onto his price tag.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
True, he was reinstated for the final game, but it still looks as if it was thought there were better options when the 'big matches' (i.e. the finals) came along.

That was the finals. And he played. In the deciding match. So i'm confused. What other "big match" do you mean.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That was the finals. And he played. In the deciding match. So i'm confused. What other "big match" do you mean.

Not confusing. The big matches were the finals (group stages). Having played in all (?) of the qualifiers, he was dropped to the bench for the first two matches in the finals. Somebody must have decided there were better options (whether that was right or wrong we'll never know).
Don't get me wrong - I want JFC to be a success (and nowhere on this thread have I said anything different) - but I do think the 'what to do next with JFC' question could be one of the defining points of CH's tenure as our manager. With our current personnel and line up, he doesn't look to me likely to get much game time here in the short term*, and loaning him out to a lower league team - the usual development path for a young player - didn't appear to work out that well for him last time*. The bits marked with asterisks are my opinions; others may differ. So over to you, CH - this is an important one to get right, and over to NSC to discuss what they think should happen next.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
We have to look towards Oscar and Sami who both seemed to thwart his attacking mindset playing him in a deep midfield playing role which never really suited him. I think Hughton see's him more as an attacking option so hopefully he will regain what he lost under previous managers

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Loan to a lower league club? Yes, well we tried that - Oxford wasn't it? They sent him back; the general opinion from there appeared to be 'carp' (or similar).

The bit I have highlighted in bold is factually incorrect. The underlined bit bears little relation to the truth.

To set the record straight: On July 6 2012 the 18-year-old JFC joined Oxford United on a six-month loan. He scored their first goal of the season, a "fantastic curled effort at Bristol Rovers in August" (not my words, but the words of the Oxford Mail). He started 13 league games, made another 3 league sub appearances, and scored 3 goals. He made another 4 starts in cup competitions.

When his loan ended at the end of December he returned to Albion. The Oxford United manager, Chris Wilder, was quoted as saying:

Jake did superbly well and had a great start. Because he’s a young player there’s ups and downs but his attitude has been superb and he is a player with bags of ability. I wouldn’t be surprised if he kicked on, so we did well to get him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The bit I have highlighted in bold is factually incorrect. The underlined bit bears little relation to the truth.

To set the record straight: On July 6 2012 the 18-year-old JFC joined Oxford United on a six-month loan. He scored their first goal of the season, a "fantastic curled effort at Bristol Rovers in August" (not my words, but the words of the Oxford Mail). He started 13 league games, made another 3 league sub appearances, and scored 3 goals. He made another 4 starts in cup competitions.

When his loan ended at the end of December he returned to Albion. The Oxford United manager, Chris Wilder, was quoted as saying:
Hadn't seen that quote from Chris Wilder before. That's good. But I do remember quite a lot of negativity from Oxford fans at the time. Not saying they were right and Chris Wilder wrong, just saying what I remember.
OK, let's loan him out to a League 1 club. Would seem to be a good move from all points of view, in theory anyway. If it works, that'll be great for us and for him - let's hope it does, if that's the route CH goes down.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Appeared to be. Not saying it was fact, just appeared to be.

When his loan ended at the end of December he returned to Albion. The Oxford United manager, Chris Wilder, was quoted as saying:"Jake did superbly well and had a great start. Because he’s a young player there’s ups and downs but his attitude has been superb and he is a player with bags of ability".
As in, "Had a great start, but........"? I don't know. I wasn't there, but it sounds a bit like that. The fans on the forum didn't seem impressed. OK, let's try loaning him out again. I want him to succeed, just trying to discuss which is the best way forward.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not confusing. The big matches were the finals (group stages). Having played in all (?) of the qualifiers, he was dropped to the bench for the first two matches in the finals. .

Oh ok. he was dropped for the "big matches", apart from when he wasn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here