[Misc] It's World Password Day!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
pass.jpg

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I was going to publish my Facebook password and have a MASSIVE Facebook party for all on my page - that's how Facebook parties work - isn't it?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
which is why such passwords are rubbish (see previous link). example i just generated password "4p$]65[K4+:H]&gk". the site gives the supposedly handy way to remember as "4 park $ ] 6 5 [ KOREAN 4 + : HULU ] & golf korean". :eek:

the password "parkkoreanhulugolf" would be far easier to remember and is order of magnitude more secure as its 2 characters longer. throw in a capital, number or symbol if sites insist. all about the length, not the complexity (as the actress said).

Actually complexity is as important as symbols throw any dictionary attack programs right off, especially if the symbol is one of those not found commonly on Russian and Chinese keyboards (there a lot of these attacks start from).

I've always used quite complex passwords especially for administration accounts for systems at work. Use an encrypted password manager to keep a record of those passwords and you only have to remember 1 password to open and unencrypt the password manager when you need to look one up.

https://howsecureismypassword.net/ is fun to test your password against.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
- Pray that every site you sign up to encrypts them. Otherwise, if you don't do the above. You're buggered.

vBulletin used to have an admin function whereby you could enter a password and it would tell me all users who had that word as their password. (Passwords are encrypted, the admin function would encrypt the entered string and compared it to the stored encrypted passwords). As you say, there were a fair few people who were using "seagulls".

That function doesn't exist any more, but the admin panel is currently reporting that 34 people have a password that is the same as their username.

I'm being a pedant here, but passwords aren't usually encrypted. If you encrypt some data it means you can decrypt it.

Instead, a hash of the password is stored. It's a one way algorithm, so it's not possible to get the original value based on the hash of it. Every time you enter your password it will generate the hash and compare it to the one they have stored. Quite often the site will add some random characters to your password before hashing it, in order to prevent the same hash being stored for people with the same password.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here