Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Comments in todays papers about the transfer budget

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think all that TB needs to be now is honest, and he probably is.

We (including TB) want to get to The Premier League. We've had a go and it cost a few bob, not so much that it killed the club but too much money at the same time as we were building the training ground, finishing the stadium extensions and building our development squad.

Perhaps we've now decided that we'd have a better chance of Premier League survival and then establishing ourselves in the top flight once the development squad players are established and the training ground is developing more talent.

So we now need to keep our costs to a minimum whilst maintaining Championship status and building up our cash reserves, so we have a fighting fund rather than trying to keep within FFP.

This wouldn't be a bad plan BUT it's not sexy, not seen as ambitious and it's not going to keep the 23,000 STHs, necessarily. It is, however, a good common sense approach IF, and it's a big IF, you can communicate it to the fans, they see some progress and buy into it.

Completely agree, but it leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth with prices going up and up. Lower/freeze prices to get more people in the stadium and stop trying to rip the fans off for food/drink and I think the fans will be much more on side. Unfortunately I doubt this will happen.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Was at both games; first leg we were a bit unlucky - second leg the wheels well and truly came off. But, we took points from Leicester & Burnely and without so many draws who knows? Derby were and still are the best team in the league.

This is true. The first leg was fairly even, but our dependence on our defence last year was vividly exposed in the second leg, with Bruno and Upson not starting, and Greer limping off early on. I agree that Derby are the best team in the league at present.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Bloom went on record as saying our player wage expenses this season are higher than ever before. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30004150 - "The cost of our squad this year, in terms of salaries, is higher than it has ever been in our history."

I have speculated before that it could be that our wages are the highest - who are we to doubt Uncle Tony - but our overall playing budget itself could be lower (less spent on player acquisition expenses). We won't know about that for another year and a bit when our accounts for season 2014-15 are released.

All the more reason to replace Burke. Bigger outgoings with a worse squad?? Time to get a new DoF if we insist on having one.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
But we spent £21 million on wages in 2012/13, how can that not be competing?
Well you either say that it was spent on the wrong players (Vicente?).... or , as I suspect may be the case, there were massive backroom staff costs.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well you either say that it was spent on the wrong players (Vicente?).... or , as I suspect may be the case, there were massive backroom staff costs.

Unlikely, as the backroom staff were broadly similar to the previous season, and Vicente was on our books too, yet the wage bill was only £14.6 million. The wage bill rose 44% in 2012/13, which seems inconsistent with your assertion that the club wasn't making a serious attempt to go up.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Unlikely, as the backroom staff were broadly similar to the previous season, and Vicente was on our books too, yet the wage bill was only £14.6 million. The wage bill rose 44% in 2012/13, which seems inconsistent with your assertion that the club wasn't making a serious attempt to go up.
Then you have to explain, 44%..... on who?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Ulloa, Bridge, Pole in Goal, Hammond, Orlandi, Bruno, Upson, Lopez, and new contracts for Buckley and Bridcutt.

Which explains why only Bruno is still with us.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If they were partially balanced why would wages rise by 43%?
That's why I ask, I know that's an expensive set of players, but I find it hard to reconcile that a net increase of 40 odd % is down to the playing staff solely......if it is then I sit corrected.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That's why I ask, I know that's an expensive set of players, but I find it hard to reconcile that a net increase of 40 odd % is down to the playing staff solely......if it is then I sit corrected.

Total directors costs went up from £465k to £800k, the former includes a £74k payoff to Ken Brown.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I would like to see the figures for those below the board but above the players...... there has to be more to it.......... but its a moot one I suppose, can't rewrite history. All I can say is that even if we scrape survival this year, income us going to plummet from reduced footfall at the stadium, and more downward pressure from the commercial side, ie less attractive prospect for companies considering sponsorship arrangements......

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Bloom went on record as saying our player wage expenses this season are higher than ever before. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30004150 - "The cost of our squad this year, in terms of salaries, is higher than it has ever been in our history."

I have speculated before that it could be that our wages are the highest - who are we to doubt Uncle Tony - but our overall playing budget itself could be lower (less spent on player acquisition expenses). We won't know about that for another year and a bit when our accounts for season 2014-15 are released.

I'd say, as you note, that the playing budget is larger, due to the U21 acquisitions as well as the first team squad. But this "over" spend has been funded by fewer or less value player acquisitions and / or agents fees?

Strangely, the more I think about us just pulling the reigns in the more it eases my frustration and feelings about not bothering with a season ticket next year. I guess it's all in the communication, you can't really stand up and say we don't want to get promoted because it makes much more business sense to try in two to three years time, in the meantime we'll fully establish ourselves as a Championship club and try to save a few bob for a fighting fund.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
That was a chasm. And they didn't even go up.

I seem to remember the first leg being fairly evenly matched; we were done by a bit of bad luck and Kuszczak's back.

The 2nd leg we were most definitely out-classed. That was a bloody great day out though. Gallows humour at its finest!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
We have two great lumps of dead wood: Barber and Burke, neither of whom are making a positive contribution to the club. Bin them and use the savings to pay wages that will attract the calibre of player that we need to the club.

Just a thought!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here