Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Applied to join Arena 80 yesterday. Initial response was muted. You have told us your age but we are not able to take you on unless you can run a 5k in under 25". Please send your running times. Wife couldn't believe someone was actually interested in them.

Duly emailed them in, deliberately omitting my marathon times, and have been invited to join in training this week and have the Withdean track induction on the 17th. All seems a bit serious to me.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Be good if [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] could turn up if the Loch Ness marathon prep allows.
Failing that 23:42 is needed. 7:37 mile pace will do that.

I could pace first mile @7:50, second @7:45 and then you run home at 7:20 mile pace. job done.

If you don't need a pacer I'm happy to bring along and share a flask of apple cider vinegar, turmeric, himalayan sea salt and a splash of mussel juice.

Tried to stick to @GBs pacing plan but difficult with a fairly strong easterly. 7:45, 7:25, 7:10 and final .1 of a mile at 5:45 pace = 23"

Good to see all the faces I'll await the race reports. I was the NSC backrunner.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yes good to see you and our two speed merchants up front. A mediocre 22.16 (73.95%) for me plus a very sore Achilles.

You still beat me by 2% in the age grading stakes.

There can’t be many park runs in the country where 17:03 is only good enough for 6th place. Some really strong runners on show today at the Prom.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You still beat me by 2% in the age grading stakes.

There can’t be many park runs in the country where 17:03 is only good enough for 6th place. Some really strong runners on show today at the Prom.

If you stay injury free my money is on a pb Parkrun from you. Great run. Glad to be in a position to see you two dash to the line. No way were you going to get caught to the line yesterday. Added bonus is you beat the Councillor, who is a very competitive runner.

Valiant effort by an out of sorts Ninja. He'll be back!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was amazed by my 19:04 to be honest, I just sat in with the big fella for quite some time until he started to stretch away and he wasn't going to slow down. In truth, I was going to be happy with anything less than 19:15 and given that we're after aggregate times, I think I'm still in the hunt. Bevendean is going to be the big one I think - if that one is second, then it's the one I'm going to have to dominate. I know the course and I feel like I should be able to eat into the deficit. We'll see!

I went out this morning with young Dave and ran 6.5 miles in about 1:10, so not quite the usual pace but a nice trip over the Downs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Binning off parkrun was only going to be sensible if I did my LSR as planned today. As I stood outside The Albert last night necking Jaipur and having a crafty smoke with [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] (very nice to meet you BTW, you do not strike me as a man who subsists on sausages, beer and ice cream) this looked extremely unlikely.

Somehow struggled up and managed 11 miles with a long break in the middle to drop the kids off at the pool. Finished at the Lagoon, a mile from home, had an icebath / paddle (sea is MUCH colder than it was in July, it really seems to have sorted my calves out), a post run Mr Whippy and Flake and walked the last mile back. Now for a day on the sofa watching the cricket :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Binning off parkrun was only going to be sensible if I did my LSR as planned today. As I stood outside The Albert last night necking Jaipur and having a crafty smoke with [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] (very nice to meet you BTW, you do not strike me as a man who subsists on sausages, beer and ice cream) this looked extremely unlikely.

Somehow struggled up and managed 11 miles with a long break in the middle to drop the kids off at the pool. Finished at the Lagoon, a mile from home, had an icebath / paddle (sea is MUCH colder than it was in July, it really seems to have sorted my calves out), a post run Mr Whippy and Flake and walked the last mile back. Now for a day on the sofa watching the cricket :)

Bailed on my long run this morning. Too tired and head not willing to counteract it today. ☹️☹️

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bailed on my long run this morning. Too tired and head not willing to counteract it today. ☹️☹️

That's a shame. It was bloody hot on the coast, certainly not a day for running tired. My splits are the very definition of "died on my arse".

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
11 miles on bike followed by a lunch time progressive 5 miler, which is about the limit of my distance currently. Last mile helped by chasing down an ex neighbour...

The Arena induction in 2 weeks has got me off my arse.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's a shame. It was bloody hot on the coast, certainly not a day for running tired. My splits are the very definition of "died on my arse".

I started on my arse and stayed there.......probably feeling yesterday’s 2 hour run, heavy meal last night etc. Not the best prep.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Likewise, really nice to finally put a face to our NSC exchanges. Good talking to you and now I know what you look like I can say hello.

I guess this is an appropriate time to give an update on my running situation. After a lay off I intend to go for a short run this week to see how the groin/leg is. As the Berlin marathon is in two weeks time, and I have been laid off for 4 weeks, I have withdrawn my entry. The good news is they offered me a guaranteed place for next year. I am very happy they did this, it certainly mitigated some of the disappointment. This now concludes a disappointing running year for me. But, I’ll learn from it and have another crack next year. Once I’m up and running again I will work on my half marathon time between now and my next 26.2.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
If you stay injury free my money is on a pb Parkrun from you. Great run. Glad to be in a position to see you two dash to the line. No way were you going to get caught to the line yesterday. Added bonus is you beat the Councillor, who is a very competitive runner.

Valiant effort by an out of sorts Ninja. He'll be back!

I'm feeling good at the moment and yes on a still day I think I could threaten 18:30 which is my aim for this year.

I had probably over done it in the build up to Saturday with a hard track session Wednesday and a really competitive game of football Thursday. Got to the Prom late as I had to cycle back to get my keys, so my warm up time was non-existent as needed a pre-race crap and the toilet had no toilet paper. Managed to scavenge 3ply's from the toilet floor to mop up the worst, but was delighted to get in the shower after my cycle home.

With Big Nuts Jnr running his first Park Run this morning 16:54 (2k) it means my Sunday long run will be after the cricket today. Looks lovely out there so I may try to head towards the coast if play lasts through to 18:30.

I emailed the Tom Ulliott group and will be running with them each Tuesday evening which hopefully will help with my speed at 5 and 10k.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm feeling good at the moment and yes on a still day I think I could threaten 18:30 which is my aim for this year.

I had probably over done it in the build up to Saturday with a hard track session Wednesday and a really competitive game of football Thursday. Got to the Prom late as I had to cycle back to get my keys, so my warm up time was non-existent as needed a pre-race crap and the toilet had no toilet paper. Managed to scavenge 3ply's from the toilet floor to mop up the worst, but was delighted to get in the shower after my cycle home.

With Big Nuts Jnr running his first Park Run this morning 16:54 (2k) it means my Sunday long run will be after the cricket today. Looks lovely out there so I may try to head towards the coast if play lasts through to 18:30.

I emailed the Tom Ulliott group and will be running with them each Tuesday evening which hopefully will help with my speed at 5 and 10k.

FFS. That is a dastardly trick. No wonder Ninja hung back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here