daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Mix

60s 70s Soulful Jamaican Rocksteady, Soul, Early Reggae

https://www.sendspace.com/file/oq6iu7

SingleTrack MP3
1h10m

'This is a mix of all 45s, some originals (most in shoddy condition) and but mainly re-issues. Musically, I would say the theme is Soul influenced Rocksteady and Reggae. There are many, quite amazing, compilations of Soul/Reggae out there with some incredible tunes out there, but I was just pulling from my box of 45s, so many are not necessarily the huge hallmark tunes many might know in that particular area of Jamaican music. Also, there are some straight up reggae tunes towards the latter half of the mix, so I wasn't trying to make a strictly Jamaican soul mix either. I just gathered some core soulful tunes I knew I wanted in the mix and built around that vibe. Good tunes to dance to on a Sunday!

Twitter @oursoundtracks'

Attachments

• 3532-3b6c-45fc-8191-f6d036dffc19.jpg
    3532-3b6c-45fc-8191-f6d036dffc19.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 164

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Mix

60s 70s Soulful Jamaican Rocksteady, Soul, Early Reggae

https://www.sendspace.com/file/oq6iu7

SingleTrack MP3
1h10m

'This is a mix of all 45s, some originals (most in shoddy condition) and but mainly re-issues. Musically, I would say the theme is Soul influenced Rocksteady and Reggae. There are many, quite amazing, compilations of Soul/Reggae out there with some incredible tunes out there, but I was just pulling from my box of 45s, so many are not necessarily the huge hallmark tunes many might know in that particular area of Jamaican music. Also, there are some straight up reggae tunes towards the latter half of the mix, so I wasn't trying to make a strictly Jamaican soul mix either. I just gathered some core soulful tunes I knew I wanted in the mix and built around that vibe. Good tunes to dance to on a Sunday!

Twitter @oursoundtracks'
Nice nostalgic mix. Takes me back to when I first got in to Reggae in the late '60s. Thanks Dave.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Today I'm enjoying this beaut...

Niney.jpg

Reggae Anthology: Niney The Observer - Roots With Quality

Niney The Observer is a true reggae journeyman, he made a couple of recordings for Coxsone Dodd’s Studio One in the late sixties before going on to supervise sessions for Joe Gibbs, Lee Perry and Bunny Lee before striking out on his own with the contentious early roots classic Blood & Fire for his own Observer label in 1970. In the early seventies he collaborated with Dennis Brown producing many classic performances from the young singer including Cassandra, Westbound Train and Tribulation and the album Deep Down. He issued a classic dub album in 1975 entitled Dubbing With The Observer. During that decade he produced numerous classic roots reggae sides with artists such as Leroy Smart, Cornel Campbell, I Roy, Gregory Isaacs, Ken Boothe, Junior Byles, The Heptones, Junior Delgado, Freddie McGregor, Horace Andy and many more. In the early eighties he worked closely with Channel One on their classic dancehall roots tunes of the day. This anthology draws from the material he produced during these times and mixes big hits – and Niney had enough of them – with more obscure material to deliver a good overview of his career, from the early skanks with his own Blood & Fire and Max Romeo & Lee Perry’s Rasta Bandwagon through the classic roots years including Bring The Couchie Come, Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner and Dennis Brown’s Wolf & Leopards to peerless steppers such as his own Mutiny to Third World’s track which proffers this collections appropriate title . Double vinyl is promised. VP4149

Track Listing:

Disc One:
1. Blood & Fire – Niney
2. Whole Lot Of Fire – Big Youth
3. The Coming Of Jah – Max Romeo & Niney
4. Rasta Bandwagon – Max Romeo & Lee Perry
5. Rascal Man (False Rasta) – Delroy Wilson
6. Rasta No Born Yah – Sang Hugh & Lionaires
7. Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner / Clap The Barber – Michael Rose
8. The Way Reason – Delroy Wilson
9. Bring The Couchie Come – Reggae Crusaders
10. I Need Your Loving – Slim Smith
11. Rock Away – Gregory Isaacs
12. Silver Words – Ken Boothe
13. My Baby Is Gone – Delroy Wilson
14. Here I Come – Dennis Brown
15. Jah Come Here – I Roy
16. Warrior – Johnny Clarke
17. Whip Them Jah – Ranking Trevor
18. Every Natty – Junior Delgado
19. Weeping – Junior Byles
20. Sufferation – Tyrone Taylor

Disc Two:
1. Wolf And Leopards/ Nosey Joe – Dennis Brown & Bongo Herman
2. Slave Master / Captives – Gregory Isaacs / Ranking Buckors
3. Chant It Down – Freddie McGregor
4. Jah Is My Light – Leroy Smart
5. No More Will I Roam – Dennis Brown
6. Materialist – Horace Andy
7. Moses – Jacob Miller
8. Prophecy Call – Glasford Manning
9. Mutiny – Niney
10. I Jah I – Jewels
11. Slave Call – Ethiopians
12. Temptation, Botheration & Tribulation – Heptones
13. Roots With Quality – Third World
14. Tease My Love – Freddie McGregor
15. Lover’s Race – Sugar Minott
16. Mr. Sun – Don Carlos
17. Thank You Mama – Barry Brown
18. Lover’s Rock JA Style – Freddie McGregor
19. Sweets For My Sweets – Jimmy Riley
20. Money Friend – Leroy Smart & Baby Wayne

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Funny how some people get their name.

I think Niney the Observer got the Niney bit because of losing a finger in an accident.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Funny how some people get their name.

I think Niney the Observer got the Niney bit because of losing a finger in an accident.

According to my copy of "The Guiness Who's Who of Reggae", he lost a thumb in a workshop accident and this is indeed how he got his name. Proper name, Winston Holness.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Today I'm enjoying this beaut...

View attachment 81730

Reggae Anthology: Niney The Observer - Roots With Quality

Niney The Observer is a true reggae journeyman, he made a couple of recordings for Coxsone Dodd’s Studio One in the late sixties before going on to supervise sessions for Joe Gibbs, Lee Perry and Bunny Lee before striking out on his own with the contentious early roots classic Blood & Fire for his own Observer label in 1970. In the early seventies he collaborated with Dennis Brown producing many classic performances from the young singer including Cassandra, Westbound Train and Tribulation and the album Deep Down. He issued a classic dub album in 1975 entitled Dubbing With The Observer. During that decade he produced numerous classic roots reggae sides with artists such as Leroy Smart, Cornel Campbell, I Roy, Gregory Isaacs, Ken Boothe, Junior Byles, The Heptones, Junior Delgado, Freddie McGregor, Horace Andy and many more. In the early eighties he worked closely with Channel One on their classic dancehall roots tunes of the day. This anthology draws from the material he produced during these times and mixes big hits – and Niney had enough of them – with more obscure material to deliver a good overview of his career, from the early skanks with his own Blood & Fire and Max Romeo & Lee Perry’s Rasta Bandwagon through the classic roots years including Bring The Couchie Come, Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner and Dennis Brown’s Wolf & Leopards to peerless steppers such as his own Mutiny to Third World’s track which proffers this collections appropriate title . Double vinyl is promised. VP4149

Track Listing:

Disc One:
1. Blood & Fire – Niney
2. Whole Lot Of Fire – Big Youth
3. The Coming Of Jah – Max Romeo & Niney
4. Rasta Bandwagon – Max Romeo & Lee Perry
5. Rascal Man (False Rasta) – Delroy Wilson
6. Rasta No Born Yah – Sang Hugh & Lionaires
7. Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner / Clap The Barber – Michael Rose
8. The Way Reason – Delroy Wilson
9. Bring The Couchie Come – Reggae Crusaders
10. I Need Your Loving – Slim Smith
11. Rock Away – Gregory Isaacs
12. Silver Words – Ken Boothe
13. My Baby Is Gone – Delroy Wilson
14. Here I Come – Dennis Brown
15. Jah Come Here – I Roy
16. Warrior – Johnny Clarke
17. Whip Them Jah – Ranking Trevor
18. Every Natty – Junior Delgado
19. Weeping – Junior Byles
20. Sufferation – Tyrone Taylor

Disc Two:
1. Wolf And Leopards/ Nosey Joe – Dennis Brown & Bongo Herman
2. Slave Master / Captives – Gregory Isaacs / Ranking Buckors
3. Chant It Down – Freddie McGregor
4. Jah Is My Light – Leroy Smart
5. No More Will I Roam – Dennis Brown
6. Materialist – Horace Andy
7. Moses – Jacob Miller
8. Prophecy Call – Glasford Manning
9. Mutiny – Niney
10. I Jah I – Jewels
11. Slave Call – Ethiopians
12. Temptation, Botheration & Tribulation – Heptones
13. Roots With Quality – Third World
14. Tease My Love – Freddie McGregor
15. Lover’s Race – Sugar Minott
16. Mr. Sun – Don Carlos
17. Thank You Mama – Barry Brown
18. Lover’s Rock JA Style – Freddie McGregor
19. Sweets For My Sweets – Jimmy Riley
20. Money Friend – Leroy Smart & Baby Wayne

Oh yes! Loving the dubs these days. My favorite dubmaster happens to be Scientist and recently some great person on Youtube has been uploading the original tracks side by side with all the dubs I've loved to listen to for decades. It helps to see the art of the dubmasters - the original tracks are pounding and the artistry of the dubcreators is laid bare.

Scientist dub

https://youtu.be/937GFSXbcb0

Side by side.

https://youtu.be/bpLrdqm6tWc

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Oh yes! Loving the dubs these days. My favorite dubmaster happens to be Scientist and recently some great person on Youtube has been uploading the original tracks side by side with all the dubs I've loved to listen to for decades. It helps to see the art of the dubmasters - the original tracks are pounding and the artistry of the dubcreators is laid bare.

Scientist dub

https://youtu.be/937GFSXbcb0

Side by side.

https://youtu.be/bpLrdqm6tWc

Gotta love the head-mental Scientist record covers also! :lolol:

61vMh%2BTE%2BpL.jpg

Picture-2-620x619.png

151030.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
[MENTION=17438]Seagull kimchi[/MENTION] [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION]

Speaking of Scientist, have the vaguest of recollection of attending a show in Brighton town billed as 'Scientist vs. Mad Professor' in the very early eighties, at the original Concorde by The DOLPHINARIUM (Gadzooks! Makes me sound like a Victorian gentleman!). Still got the liberated poster somewhere, will try and dig it out. Anyways, the sole reason this particular array of brain cells hasn't been obliterated through the ravages of time and the rest is that Mad Professor was a no-show, and the promoters bless 'em only charged us half-price on the door. Result! Sadly, of Scientist's much-extended set, I remember not a thing, other than we all went home happy.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
[MENTION=17438]Seagull kimchi[/MENTION] [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION]

Speaking of Scientist, have the vaguest of recollection of attending a show in Brighton town billed as 'Scientist vs. Mad Professor' in the very early eighties, at the original Concorde by The DOLPHINARIUM (Gadzooks! Makes me sound like a Victorian gentleman!). Still got the liberated poster somewhere, will try and dig it out. Anyways, the sole reason this particular array of brain cells hasn't been obliterated through the ravages of time and the rest is that Mad Professor was a no-show, and the promoters bless 'em only charged us half-price on the door. Result! Sadly, of Scientist's much-extended set, I remember not a thing, other than we all went home happy.

Wasnt there for that gig, but the old Concorde was the main reason we started our soundsystem. We were thrown out every week for smoking, so came up with the plan to build a sound, and hire halls, so we wouldnt get thrown out.
Met Mad Professor last year when he was here with my mate Brother Culture on their tour of Europe. Its not really my music tbh, but have to support any reggae here as its virtually non existant, and Culture wouldnt have forgiven me haha

Pic is Bro Culture, Mad Professors son, and the man himself.

Attachments

• 10409112_10207258356992267_6912728664072614983_n.jpg
    10409112_10207258356992267_6912728664072614983_n.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Mix

Bobby Konders & The Massive B Posse Mixtape

https://www.sendspace.com/file/s3t6vr

SingleTrack MP3
1h 31m

'Brooklyn Producer Bobby Konders @ The Control, Feat Anthony B, Morgan Heritage, Sizzla, Nicodemus, Garnet Silk, Burro Banton, King Kong, Don Carlos and more'

An enjoyable mix I thought.

Attachments

• reggae_vector_by_chrisluu3.jpg
    reggae_vector_by_chrisluu3.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 127

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here