Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool's 3 shots on target was their 2nd lowest of the season, in the league

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Genuinely don't know the answer to this, but what specifically constitutes a "shot on target"? Why would the PG shot from penalty spot area, blocked by Fabinho not count as "shot on target"?

"blocked by Fabinho" means it wouldn't have gone in the goal. "Shot on target" means it has a chance to go in the goal. Anyone can shoot at the oppo's wall.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Yes Locadia's was clearly going wide and we got a free corner for that one but I'm not bothered about the stats saying no shots on target as that is a complete distraction from the changes we did have for those who were not there

From the East Lower viewpoint (within spitting distance), Locadia's left foot shot on 13 minutes was both on target and rather fortuiously blocked and with sufficient power to trouble de Gea. It was only 15 yards from goal, 12 yards from the touchline and was a good attempt. He should have dribbled and dived like Salah though.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Locadia's left foot shot on 13 minutes was both on target and rather fortuiously blocked and with sufficient power to trouble de Gea..

Christ - that was a hard shot. De Gea was on a train between Manchester Piccadilly and London Euston at the time.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Great.

But we had zero shots on target at home. So hardly a stat to shout from the rooftops.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think the stats on BBC etc are actually wrong. Gross had a cross that the keeper collected which was on target and wasn't Locadia's shot which won us a corner on target also? Stats can be deceiving at times, giving Gross also had a shot which looked likely to go in until Fabinho blocked. Either way restricting Liverpool to that amount of chances is pretty impressive id say.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought so too given that it seemed to be a different approach with us defending a high line and pressing them rather than defending the eighteen yard box with 10 players and conceding all the possession and territory.

Had Gross not made that ridiculous and unnecessary challenge on Salah for the penalty who knows what might have happened.

I’m noticed that too from the off. The back 4 pushed far further forward, than the Alamo deep lying defence of last season. Compacting the space in which LFC had to operate.

Totally unnecessary foul, but very commom. Players get tunnel vision in keep nibbling away to get the ball, when better to let the players in a better position to deal with it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
From the East Lower viewpoint (within spitting distance), Locadia's left foot shot on 13 minutes was both on target and rather fortuiously blocked and with sufficient power to trouble de Gea. It was only 15 yards from goal, 12 yards from the touchline and was a good attempt. He should have dribbled and dived like Salah though.

Sorry I was thinking of the one in the second half

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fair enough. I really enjoyed the game, to me it was like a game of chess with us starting the game without some key pieces. We did brilliantly and although I take your point about going for them after the penalty, losing 3 or 4 nil may have dented confidence. With the next game being at United I think Saturday’s performance will galvanise the team. I imagine we will play exactly the same way next weekend too.

We have plenty of home games left where we can expect to be far more attacking in our set up.

I’m really looking forward to all our remaining home games (other than petro-$ ManC). I’m not a s/t just now and have started building a collection of tickets. It’s all coming nicely together in attack and defence, I envisage some good performances and wins.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here