[Misc] Thanks to you all

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Evening all. Hope you're all well.

It's the start of a new year, I've had a few, my nearest and dearest have all hit the hay for the night and I'm in a warm, hazy, reflective frame of mind. Brace yourselves. This might get gooey.

2018 was an odd year for me. I've spent more than a quarter of a century in the cold embrace of the civil service. Diminishing returns have kicked in. It's a grind with a pay cheque at the end and nothing more. An unexpected light has emerged at the end of the tunnel in the form of freelance work with the wonderful folk at Sussex Sports Photography. Now I get to go out at weekends and spend time with enthusiastic people that are happy to see me. It's been a liberation but it comes at a cost. I've spent chunks of the past year working 6 or 7 day weeks. I've been happy but often a happy zombie.

In the summer my mother suddenly and unexpectedly passed. I wasn't able to say goodbye, although I content myself with the fact that the last time I saw her was a day full of laughter and love. Two months on my only child left for university. It was a moment of huge pride but was tempered by the early stages of Empty Nest Syndrome. It's an odd sensation to be full of hope for the future and simultaneously wanting to freeze time.

Basically, the second half of the year was a test. I know we all have them and many among you will face (or have faced) far worse. Part of what gets us through such times are our rocks, our constants and our "islands of safety". It might be our families, our routines or our hobbies. Oddly, it turns out that NSC is one of my rocks. OK, perhaps rock is too large a word but it's definitely a fairly reliable stone.

BHAFC has been a part of me for almost 40 years. It's always there for me and when all is said and done, I don't really care how shabby a state it is in at any point in time. It always offers me a refuge: somewhere I know I am wanted and welcomed with a metaphorical hug and cup of Bovril. In recent years NSC has offered me the same service. I've dipped into a few other clubs' forums over the years and it seems there is nowhere quite like here. It's all here. We have politics, travel, film reviews, travel advice, helpful hints, music critiques, comedy, dark comedy, frankly blood pitch black comedy and football. Lots and lots of football (and Exile's match reports, which are just the best). I've only recently realised that NSC is now my second port of call each morning after the news. It has become one of my constants simply through the anchor that is our team.

This is almost an extension of the "best poster on NSC thread". The only reason it's not there instead is that you're all the best. I love the way you all speak up, smile, squabble or sympathise. Even the Palace visitors among you make me laugh occasionally.

Some of you will automatically file this away as a "look at me" thread. That's fine. I guess it is really but it comes with good intentions. Please keep on keeping on. Special thanks to the mods for keeping this insane show on the road. Thanks for your time, for the laughs and for the occasional surprising insight. I wish you all a good evening and a hopeful 2019.

And I'm just going to leave this here. I know that 99.9% of you will glide past it and rightly so but it makes me smile and I know one of you out there that will love it.

Cheers :cheers:

You were only in it for the thumbs weren't you?

Thought I'd provide a typical NSC style response before the real one. It's lovely to read posts like this from time to time and know that the time I spend on here isn't wasted after all. NSC is probably my second port of call after email, just like Dazzer. If it's happening, it's on here. There are experts in pretty much every field too - as well as some charlatans. And isn't that half the fun.

Happy New Year Mr Rhino.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Within the finishing line for an award from the Queen and you decide to leave the Civil Service, Sir Humphrey won't be happy.

Glad to hear you now have a happier working life

I’ve not escaped the civil service. That’s the day job. Photography is my weekend job. Still working on changing the ratio.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’ve not escaped the civil service. That’s the day job. Photography is my weekend job. Still working on changing the ratio.

Sounds like you're on a very similar path to Albion's very own BHA Snappy. He wasn't in the civil service but was in a job he'd been in for approximately ever, and started doing sports club photography in his own time which ultimately led to him doing what he does now as the Albion's official club photographer.

And, in many ways, I guess it's not massively different to me either. I'd been in corporate, wear-a-suit, get issued with a Dell laptop and spend much of my working life in Outlook for a long time with NSC being something I did for fun, in my own time, Essentially this NSC hobby gave me the confidence to leave what I still refer to as "proper work" and now get paid to build communities and post stuff on twitter and facebook, doing so from wherever I choose to be as long as I have my MacBook Pro and connectivity.

Your eloquent description of NSC echoes my own feelings about this crazy place. If I didn't enjoy being part of this community, I'd have kicked it into touch a long time ago!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Listen, pal. I will never forgive you for deporting Emeka Ifejiagwa. NEVER. Fact.

:lolol:

Top post [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION]. Sorry I missed you at VNV. Another time. Happy New Year to you :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here