Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drones spotted at LGW.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Looking forward immensely to the **** that's done this having their life absolutely DESTROYED, on social media and in real life, when they're finally tracked down.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Apologies if naive and haven't read through all posts but isn't there surely the technology to simply block the signal being used to fly the drone. A drone signal jammer?

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
Apologies if naive and haven't read through all posts but isn't there surely the technology to simply block the signal being used to fly the drone. A drone signal jammer?

Signal jamming is easy, the problem is doing it around an airport where aircraft are relying on RF transmissions.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Is anyone else just thinking of scenes from Airplane as this story unfolds? I’ve got this picture of Lloyd Bridges high on drugs in the control tower leading the response; with chaos all around him and hacks charging into the telephone booths with their updates :lolol: Damn that film is fine!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They send hawks up to catch pigeons. Could they not be trained to take out drones ?

Well whaddya know

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-35750816/eagles-trained-to-take-down-drones

The BBC has been given access to the airbase where Dutch police are training eagles to take down unauthorised drones. It comes amid concerns that drones are increasingly being used to commit crimes. Dutch police are believed to be the first force in the world to use this method.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
BBC reporting another drone sighting in the last hour or so.

Someone is trying to cause maximum disruption - waiting for people to think it is all clear and then sending another one up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As I said. These things happen. If you can't laugh about it...

S'alright. I have longstanding issues with this poster. In case you hadn't guessed :lolol:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Sky news just offered some supposed rather lame statement that the authorities concerned about stray bullets. At God knows how many feet in the air?

Funny that; I was just thinking "why dont they just shoot them down?".

Presumably they will fire upwards from the ground to hit the drones so what are they expecting "stray bullets" to hit? Yes, they will fall back to earth eventually but its unlikely they will have the velocity to take someones eye out!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
BBC reporting another drone sighting in the last hour or so.

Someone is trying to cause maximum disruption - waiting for people to think it is all clear and then sending another one up.

Or maybe just returning it to base to recharge the battery. Couldn't they just track the damn thing?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
What sort of range do these drones have ? I’m guessing quite far as it surely just can’t be some bod operating it sitting in a field in Charlwood ?

Feel for anyone put out by these morons flying drones.

BUT ...... you do have to wonder about some people ....

'Ms Jaworska said she thought it was "strange" that two drones had led to the closure of the airport.'

What exactly would she expect to happen ? For the airport just to wait and see what would happen when a drone gets sucked into a plane engine ?

And then she follows up that remarkable statement with this ....

'"You would imagine there would be better security in place and emergency action for something like that," she added.'

Like what ? Surface to Air missiles to bring down the drones ? :facepalm:
The thread's too big to read through but I'm sure somebody must have said police or army marksmen on helicopters.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Funny that; I was just thinking "why dont they just shoot them down?".

Presumably they will fire upwards from the ground to hit the drones so what are they expecting "stray bullets" to hit? Yes, they will fall back to earth eventually but its unlikely they will have the velocity to take someones eye out!

It makes no sense to me either, Christ, how did we ever defeat the Luftwaffe. We are paralysed by risk assessment in today’s world, nobody will take decisive action. It’s called Leadership. No wonder we’ve not got any in this country. Meanwhile, it is ok for hundreds of thousands of people to be inconvenienced and millions of pounds to be wasted. Just blow the thing out the sky and get on with things!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here